PDA

View Full Version : Is Amazon Prime worth $20?

conniez
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
My cousin-in-law is trying to split it 4 ways, but DH said Amazon offers free super saver shipping on most orders anyway...do you think it's worth it to split with her even if I have no idea if I'll use it in the coming year?

alexsmommy
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I have the free trial and I love it. To me there were plenty of times that the vendor with the least expensive price wasn't included in free shipping. I can be addicitive though...waaaaaay easy to order something rather than hauling my tush out to get it.

jgenie
12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
For me it would be. I find that I buy things I don't need so I can get to the $25 for free shipping. Having said that, I'm using the Prime promotion right now and I have placed a TON of orders. Might end up costing me more in the long run to have Prime.

lizzywednesday
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM
YES!

You get free 2-day shipping with Prime.

There's no minimum for super-saver shipping.

It's worth $20.

DH and I are even considering paying the full ride for next year.

JBaxter
12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
It should only be $15.88 you can divide it by 5 ( Prime owner and 4 "relatives") yes its worth it. Ive bought many books and small items for less than $25 over the past year with my shared prime.

KrisM
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
The terms of Prime say to split, you have to live at the same address.

I have it and enjoy it. I wish it were cheaper or that I could split with a friend.

BabyMine
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
There have been deals on the price before. My membership was only $59. I love it.

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Just sign up for the free trial now. Remember to set it not to auto-renew ($79) and give it a try.

Beth

caleymama
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM

I have it and enjoy it. I wish it were cheaper or that I could split with a friend.

:yeahthat: I still find that it's worth it for me, even at full price.

ahisma
12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I think it's worth it. A year's worth of not having to drag 3 kids out to find boots, a book, a new backpack, etc. is huge for me. Plus, I think we actually wind up saving money because I can often find an option on sale and I'm unlikely to trek from store to store to find a deal.

I much prefer the two day shipping to the super saver because I usually need things much quicker than the super saver would come.

MMMommy
12-13-2009, 07:56 PM
YES!!!! It is so worth it. You won't have to worry about meeting the minimum anymore to get free shipping. Good in the sense that you don't have to buy unnecessary stuff to get free shipping. Bad in the sense that it will make it that much easier to buy stuff online!

pastrygirl
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
We pay full price for our membership, and it's worth every penny! We constantly order from Amazon without worrying about reaching the $25 minimum, and knowing that our stuff will get here in two days. I've used it for diapers, paper towels, grocery stuff, hair/skin products, etc. That's in addition to books, movies, CDs, and toys!

fivi2
12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
embarrassed to admit that I pay the full regular price for Prime and have for a few years now.

I LOVE it. And, I do believe it has saved more than it has cost me. I am always last minute and expedited shipping on regular sites is so expensive. I just order something from Amazon and get free shipping. Our big wooden play kitchen last year was free two day shipping. I am a big fan.

JBaxter
12-13-2009, 08:15 PM

I can say thats not exactly true ;)

wellyes
12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
The rules have changed recently; older memberships allowed different addresses, new memberships do not. But if you join with an established member you might be able to be "grandfathered" in.

We pay full price for our membership, and it's worth every penny!

Me too. Free two-day shipping on almost ANYTHING is a wonderful thing.

I'm also absolutely convinced that free super-saver shipping is much much much slower than it use to be (probably because Prime orders are always prioritized). I used to wait 2-3 weeks to get a super-saver item, very frustrating.

TwinFoxes
12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
embarrassed to admit that I pay the full regular price for Prime and have for a few years now.

I LOVE it. And, I do believe it has saved more than it has cost me. I am always last minute and expedited shipping on regular sites is so expensive. I just order something from Amazon and get free shipping... I am a big fan.

:yeahthat: Except I'm not embarrassed! ;) Here's a good example, I wanted to get my girls a certain board book for Christmas. I forgot to order it until yesterday. With super saver this time of year I wouldn't be sure it would get to us in time. Now I'm not worried. Also, I often forget my niece and nephews' birthdays, with Prime even if I'm super forgetful, overnight shipping is only 3.99.

My DH likes it because I order him cases of Razzles that get to him quickly. :) And they are just under $25, so they wouldn't qualify for super saver.

BeachBum
12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
but DH said Amazon offers free super saver shipping on most orders anyway...

Just so you are clear, Prime is for items that would ship supersaver anyway. So we are talking about the same items. It's a matter of getting them super fast, and not having to meet the minimum.

I've had the free trial and am in love! I think I'm going to buy it.

KrisM
12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I can say thats not exactly true ;)

I think it's changed recently, because it is what the terms say now and did when I joined. If your membership is older, it was probably different then.

cindys
12-14-2009, 12:20 AM
I am doing the Prime trial...Its been nice for the 2 things I ordered even though one item arrived cracked and I had to return.

About the shipping..Not everything qualifies for F/S..So when that happens is Prime worth having? Am I missing something?

I am wanting to get a Marshmallow Shooter for my boy and they all have shipping charges with the exception of 1 or 2 but those cost a lot more money.