PDA

View Full Version : "Where's Waldo" for newly 5 year old??

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Will this be fun or too frustrating?? He loves looking at the Richard Scary books but I don;t remember who hard Waldo books really are. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Frustrating. We got one for our 7yo and that seems like a better age for it. I think if we had done it earlier he wouldn't have been into it.

Beth

bluestar2
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
The Waldo books I've seen make MY head spin, so we've never gotten any and stuck with the regular I Spy books. Maybe you check them out at the library to see how they go over.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Bluestar that is a great idea, I am going to reserve some now!!

KrisM
12-13-2009, 07:58 PM
DS got them for his 5th birthday and loves them. He has 2 and will search for quite a while looking.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
DS got them for his 5th birthday and loves them. He has 2 and will search for quite a while looking.

Kris, does he have one he likes the most? Thanks!

cmo
12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
The Usborne Look-and-Find books have been quite popular in our house, and are similar to I Spy and Waldo books.

pb&j
12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
DS is not quite 4 and loves the Waldo book we have. He doesn't always find Waldo, but he loves, loves, loves studying the intricate detail of the pictures. It's not something I would have gone out and bought, but we happened to have an old copy of one around the house that he just picked up one day.

JBaxter
12-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Susan....

1001 things to spot is probably what you want. They have a bunch of different books.. under the sea, the farm, in the town, fairy land ( for Kate).

They are the ONLY usborne books I like. They give you the number of things you need to find on each page. ( 3 blue whales, 6 anemone fish, 8 sea slugs etc). Nathan got 2 for his 5th bday and we still like looking at them.

mamicka
12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
My kids start loving the Waldo books at 3 & still love them at 6, so obviously it varies. Try them at the library first.

KrisM
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Kris, does he have one he likes the most? Thanks!

He's in bed and they're in his room. I'll check in the morning.

kijip
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't like Where's Waldo. My son thinks it's great. He is better at finding Waldo than I am. More patience and more time than I have, that is for sure.

To each their own.

wolverine2
12-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Another great book in this vein is Anamalia, by Graeme Base. Each page is for a letter of the alphabet, and everything on that page starts with that letter. The artwork and detail is incredible. DS (5) loves it, and we do too! A picture of the author is hidden on every page as well as discovering all the things that start with that letter.

bnme
12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Another great book in this vein is Anamalia, by Graeme Base. Each page is for a letter of the alphabet, and everything on that page starts with that letter. The artwork and detail is incredible. DS (5) loves it, and we do too! A picture of the author is hidden on every page as well as discovering all the things that start with that letter.

LOVE this. Enigma is another great one. My DC aren't that crazy about Waldo. But they love all the I Spy books. I think Waldo is harder.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-13-2009, 10:58 PM

Thank you, I will check this one too.