PDA

View Full Version : Keyfit 30 installation question

TwoBees
12-14-2009, 11:29 AM
DH installed the base for our keyfit 30 in his car last night ('07 Honda Accord). He tried both the seat-belt method and the LATCH (actually, he did both at the same time, but I had him take off the seatbelt). Even after putting his knee into the base and pulling the latch strap really tight, the base could be shifted side-to-side slightly on his seat. Is this because he has leather seats, or did we do something wrong? We used the outboard position on the passenger side.

Also, after reading the instructions, it seems that all you have to do to install using LATCH is connect the alligator clips to the anchors and pull the strap really tight. I expected it to be a really complex, time-intensive process (in other words, I anticipated lots of yelling coming from the garage). Is it really *that* simple?

Joolsplus2
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes, it really IS that easy :).
But I'm wondering if you installed it in the middle? The middle is not intended to be a LATCH position and usually doesn't fit seats properly (ie, more movement). If it's outboard, then LATCH is fine. You only need to check for movement 'at the belt path', so if it's totally not moving where the LATCH straps are, you're fine. But it will always move somewhat on the front end. That's normal and not dangerous, no need to add anything to keep it from slipping.
Now, when it comes to installing a rearfacing convertible? That will often be much more of a challenge, save up your patience and strength to learn how to do that (some are almost as easy as the Key Fit, others have quite an extreme learning curve...)

TwoBees
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes, it really IS that easy :).
But I'm wondering if you installed it in the middle? The middle is not intended to be a LATCH position and usually doesn't fit seats properly (ie, more movement). If it's outboard, then LATCH is fine. You only need to check for movement 'at the belt path', so if it's totally not moving where the LATCH straps are, you're fine. But it will always move somewhat on the front end. That's normal and not dangerous, no need to add anything to keep it from slipping.

Nope, we installed it in the outboard position on the passenger side. It was only moving at the front. I just thought it was not supposed to move AT ALL.

Now, when it comes to installing a rearfacing convertible? That will often be much more of a challenge, save up your patience and strength to learn how to do that (some are almost as easy as the Key Fit, others have quite an extreme learning curve...)

I don't even want to think about that right now!!!! :eek:

Joolsplus2
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
LOL, don't worry, we'll make sure you get a good one :). Glad to hear it's in the right place and installed right, you're good to go :)

TwoBees
12-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Bumping this because I have another question. Since it was relatively easy to install using LATCH, is it still a good idea to have the installation checked by a tech? And if so, do we need to bring DD, or just the bucket?

Joolsplus2
12-19-2009, 07:57 PM
What a tech might also show you is how to use the harness properly, but that's nothing you can't learn to do yourself, really. (The wording in the manual is actually surprisingly good, about how to tighten the harness and get the chest clip in the proper position, and when and how to use the infant padding in the seat and all that...)