PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for making a dancing party (3rd bday)?

lellolicious
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
My daughter is turning 3 in March, and i'm thinking about what kind of party I can have for her. I usually love to plan most of the details myself rather than getting a party package somewhere (and i always say i'll never do it again, but do anyway). Sadly though, it's been a lot easier until now for my son, since he has a summer birthday and we can all be in the back yard. Not the case with her.

The two parties she's had the most fun at in the past both involved dancing. One was in a big space lead by a local music teacher. Lots of jumping, shaky instruments, and and kids music. Although it felt a bit more like a music class than a party just for her.

The other was at a party place. All of the kids chose from dozens of halloween costumes to dress up in, and then they came through a curtain onto a dance floor and literally just jumped around to music like Who Let The Dogs Out for an hour straight. With bubbles. It was brilliant and I'd consider hosting it there if it wasn't going to be $500 by the time i added in the cake, pizza for adults, etc.

I'm wondering if it's realistic to try to recreate something with the best elements of each one at a nearby community center. Has anyone ever done something like this? If so... or even based on other dance parties your child might have attended, any thoughts on how to do it?

And note -I once went to Baby Loves Disco with my son when he was about 4, and while it seemed like a great idea, it was sort of a fail for us... too loud, too dark, too adult. So I don't want to underestimate how easy it is to make it work on my own.