PDA

View Full Version : Annual PSA: Consider assembling gifts early and checking for missing parts

brittone2
12-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Just an annual PSA to consider taking some time to assemble items in advance if at all possible and/or check for missing parts. I know several of us have encountered damaged items once our packages were opened, or missing parts, etc. By checking now, you'd still have time to get replacement parts, exchange your items if damaged, etc. It isn't fun to discover a major issue on Christmas Eve!

I know it is tough to find the time, but I'm guilty of leaving things in the boxes still taped up to keep prying eyes away from gifts. At least consider opening and checking through your stuff to make sure your items aren't damaged, missing pieces, etc. and if you can assemble those bigger items in advance (I know it is tough to hide them once assembled though!), it helps. Nothing like needing replacement hardware for a playkitchen or other big ticket item at 11 pm on Christmas Eve!

Happy holidays!

toby
12-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the reminder! There is nothing like a child breathing down your neck/tap dancing on your head as you try to make sense of tiny directions and convoluted pictures!

Melaine
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
A very good point. Last night DH assembled the PlayWonder grocery carts from Target and a piece broke during assembly (FYI NOT impressed with the quality of these, glad they were cheap!). Fortunately, we'd bought an extra one for a gift so we we are able to get two complete sets together and will return the one with a broken piece. No matter what happens, assembly always takes longer than planned and it makes my DH crabby so I like to get it over with early!

wendibird22
12-15-2009, 12:02 PM
And if you haven't checked/opened your shipping boxes, better make sure you received the correct item. My mom bought something from a catalog and it took well over 2wks to arrive and when it finally did they had packed the wrong item. The order form enclosed showed the correct item ordered, but whomever did the boxing, shipped the wrong thing. So mom had to negotiate with customer service to get them to express ship the correct thing so that it would arrive in time.

sste
12-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Thank you! Just found a missing screw in my plasma car. You totally saved the day with this reminder . . .

vonfirmath
12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I also make sure that all the twisty ties are off and there are new batteries in toys. So there is no waiting on christmas morning while mom and dad try to unpack the toys.

My parents did this for me so I'm just passing on the good cheer.