PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle "I want mommy"?

sunshine873
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
DD is 10 1/2 months old. I think she's starting to get a little bit of separation anxiety, especially if we're in a new place. When someone else picks her up she cries and then if I pick her up she settles down but is still kind of mopey.

So...we have family coming for the holidays. She hasn't seen them since September and I'm sure she won't remember them. I'm half expecting the same kind of behavior from her when they initially hold her. BTDT? How would you handle this? Should I just take her back so she feels secure? Just have them keep holding her but stay close and talk reassuringly? Walk out of the room and let her cry until she figures out she's OK? (this one makes me squirm.)

On a side note, DH will be coming home this weekend after being gone for work for 3 weeks. I'm concerned he might experience the same thing with her...sure hope not!

Karenn
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Treasure the fact that she still wants to stay close to you and hold her until she feels safe. A time will come when she'll see all those relatives and ditch you for them in an instant. ;) My kids always needed some time to warm up to family they hadn't seen in awhile when they were little. The older they get, the less time it takes.

elektra
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
I personally don't feel right forcing my daughter to hug or kiss any relatives (or anyone for that matter) if she doesn't want to. I do expect her to be polite though.b With polite being saying hello, or no thank you if she doesn't feel like a hug. But at 10.5 months, I don't think there is anything you can do about the polite part.
At that age, my DD would let anyone hold her. She is a mommy's girl but she loves parties and being around other people. My neice however would cry if anyone held her except her parents. I think it just made it worse when our relatives would try hard to get her to go to them. I think you should still encourage your DD to interact with your relatives, but I personally would not force her to be held by someone else if she didn't want to if you or your husband were around and could console her.

jgenie
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't force DS to go with anyone he didn't want to go with. I would explain that he is feeling shy or needs time to warm up. Hopefully the person will understand and get to hold him eventually but if not there's always next time.