PDA

View Full Version : Help! DS's lovey is my hair!

MacMacMoo
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
DS is 16 months old and has decided that his lovely is going to be my hair. we are currently co-sleeping (but are trying to migrate him into his own bed which isn't working well). We had been trying to get him to sleep with a lovely, offering various soft animals to sleep with. But in the end he decided my hair is the best thing for him.

Any suggestions on how to wean him off my hair and onto something else?

Melaine
12-14-2009, 02:20 PM
My girls were VERY attached to their loveys, but I couldn't find doubles of them so I decided to do a switch to these: http://www.babyage.com/products/58934_gund_gund_24_inch_comfy_cozy.htm?cp=goog5259 1&utm_source=goog&utm_medium=Default&utm_campaign=52591
They are SOOOO soft that they gave up the old ones in favor of them without much of a fight! I realize you weren't looking for recommendations for loveys, but I had to give a plug for them because they are much loved now (a year later) and we have 6 total for extra back-ups!
Maybe you could put your hair in a braid or something to keep it out of DS's reach while transitioning to a different lovey?

m4nash
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
DS1 was attached to my hair, so I feel your pain. When he was tired, hurt or upset he would come to me and say "hair" and want to stroke my hair. He got a little less attached when I cut my hair short when he was 1.5, but he actually weaned himself completely after DS2 was born, shortly after hehad turned 3. During my pregnancy, he had definitely become aware that I didn't like him always touching my hair, especially when sleeping. I got him to stop holding onto my hair all night by putting a pillow between us. I would also let him touch my hair while I sang to him at night, but as soon as I was done, I would tell him he needed to let go of my hair and roll over and go to sleep. He was probably closer to 2.5 when I started this though. He attached himself to a bear that MIL made. It is not soft or fuzzy, but he asks for it now when it is time to sleep.

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I put ds1's hand on his head one night when we were co-sleeping and that worked! From then on he twirled his own hair. He's 7 and still twirls his hair if he is tired.

Beth

MamaMolly
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Beth's reply is ingenious. I was going to suggest a dolly with hair, but having reading that I think having a 'lovey' he totes around everywhere and won't loose (ok, at least until he's WAY outgrown the need for it...) is a grand idea.