PDA

View Full Version : Stroller advise needed

crazye
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi All! I've been researching/hunting for about 3 months and still can't make up my mind on a double stroller to get. I've looked from super cheap to super expensive and can't seem to find something that meets my wants/needs. Does something like this exist or am I going to need to settle (or buy 2 doubles)...here we go!

1. Double stroller for a 2.5 y/o and an infant (the carrier I have is the Graco Snugride but I'm open to just putting infant straight into the stroller as long as it does full recline)

2. Jogger-like or works well on suburban terrain (I currently have a Tike Trex 360 single which steers like a dream and my sidewalks/streets aren't finished yet so some pretty rough bumps)

3. Ideally would like to have it be usable as a single stroller or a double stroller so that I could sell the singles that I do have (Graco Quattro and Tike Trek) instead of keeping my singles for when my 2y.o. refuses the stroller.

I know that the Phil & Ted would work but I haven't seen one yet that my 2y.o can sit in the back where she's not kicking the front seat and it just feels really hard to put an infant in the removeable seat. Also I know there's the Baby Jogger Select which is due out soon where I could get the stroller, the second seat and the infant bar but that seems really expensive...maybe I'm just not well versed enough on double stroller prices???

My 2yo is 80th percentile for height and weight so the smaller framed strollers won't work as her shoulders are already touching both sides of the frame.

So besides the PT and the BJS, are there other options out there? Also I don't drive a ginormous car (I drive a Nissan Versa hatchback) as I'd like to only buy one stroller it would need to fit in there. My new baby isn't due until mid-March but as I will need to convince DH that a MUCH more expensive double is needed I need time to mentally prepare him?

And please do tell me honestly...if I'm SOL on my "wishlist" and will need to get 2 doubles (one jogger type to handle our walks in our neighborhood and one umbrella for when we're shopping and such) please let me know. I honestly didn't think we'd be having a 2nd kiddo so I'm sort of out of my element here.

:ty:

boltfam
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as you, and I've started three threads on this topic. The Baby Jogger City Classic Double (BJCCD) or Baby Jogger City Elite double are the two that have been recommended to me. I've run the gamut of, "Do I buy a double all -terrain? Do I buy a double umbrella? Both?" Other mamas have helped me as most of them have said that an air-tired one is really nice for neighborhood walks and you can transport them. However, for the mall and indoor places, a lot of them put baby in a single stroller and let toddler walk or put toddler in stroller and wear baby in a carrier. So....having gone back and forth myself, I've settled on the BJCCD, which is clearancing out now for $399.

Oh, and the Baby Joggers have high seatbacks to accommodate a tall child.

jacksmoma
12-14-2009, 03:58 PM
i think the best combo is a lightweight single for the car and baby goes in there and toddler walks or baby gets slinged for quick trips and a nice all terrian double for longer days out/walking in neighborhood. we have a baby jogger city mini single and a bjced and i love them both! i wouldn't get the bj city select as it 1. does not look good for a tall growing toddler and 2. is very very heavy/large (long) as a single (28lbs as just a single). if i were you i'd get the bjced and keep your existing singles for quick errands- much easier to just have toddler walk and put baby in stroller (we have the car seat adaptor for our bjcm that i adore!). GL!

crazye
12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much! What car do you drive if you don't mind me asking? My Versa is pretty tight on space which is why I was wondering. Also do either of these convert down to a single? DH will KILL ME if I take up any more space witih baby gear in the garage as we're running out already b/c we moved a bunch of household stuff into the garage b/c we weren't planning on 2 kids, at least not in this house (we only have a 2 bedroom and the girls shared room is already really tight).

Definitely agreed on the baby-wearing when I can and I have no issues with that at all. So it sounds like you're suggesting a double and then keeping my single jogger as well? DARN I was hoping to be able to tell DH that I'd be selling 2 singles and buying 1 double! That'd at least get his blood pressure down a little bit ;)

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm in the exact same boat as you, and I've started three threads on this topic. The Baby Jogger City Classic Double (BJCCD) or Baby Jogger City Elite double are the two that have been recommended to me. I've run the gamut of, "Do I buy a double all -terrain? Do I buy a double umbrella? Both?" Other mamas have helped me as most of them have said that an air-tired one is really nice for neighborhood walks and you can transport them. However, for the mall and indoor places, a lot of them put baby in a single stroller and let toddler walk or put toddler in stroller and wear baby in a carrier. So....having gone back and forth myself, I've settled on the BJCCD, which is clearancing out now for $399.

Oh, and the Baby Joggers have high seatbacks to accommodate a tall child.:yeahthat: I give you an A+ in double stroller studies. :ROTFLMAO:

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much! What car do you drive if you don't mind me asking? My Versa is pretty tight on space which is why I was wondering. Also do either of these convert down to a single? DH will KILL ME if I take up any more space witih baby gear in the garage as we're running out already b/c we moved a bunch of household stuff into the garage b/c we weren't planning on 2 kids, at least not in this house (we only have a 2 bedroom and the girls shared room is already really tight).

Definitely agreed on the baby-wearing when I can and I have no issues with that at all. So it sounds like you're suggesting a double and then keeping my single jogger as well? DARN I was hoping to be able to tell DH that I'd be selling 2 singles and buying 1 double! That'd at least get his blood pressure down a little bit ;) Baby Joggers fold pretty compactly so they would probably fit in most cars, but really just use a single umbrella and a baby carrier if you are driving anywhere. Leave the double home unless you really need it. We still use our single Mac and single Valco a lot, so they are not going anywhere. All 3 strollers (we also have a BJCCD) get a lot of use.

jacksmoma
12-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I drive a jeep grand cherokee (hugeeee trunk) and the bjced takes up about 2/3 of the trunk when folded. It is a bulky fold but not too bad. no, the bjced does not convert to a single but you sure can use it with just one child and use the other seat for shopping bags :) i think you have to compromise too many features for one of the convertable single to double type strollers but that's just me...i get tons of use out of my single still and it's great to have such a nice double that pushes like butter at disneyland or walks to the park. i keep my single bjcm in my trunk always as it's so easy to take out and it seems i often just have my 7 month old with me so it's not overkill when i just have her :) your're going to need a double and a single most likely, they don't really take too much room to store...

crazye
12-15-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks gang! I'm still figuring things out and have plenty of time which is nice :) Now the baby wearing will work for grocery, Target, etc., and I do have my Ergo which will work well for quite a while...maybe I can convince DH that I'll need to keep the single (at least the single jogger as I really don't use the Graco Quattro anymore...that was what he really wanted anyway) and get a double then sell off everything once both girls have outgrown them (DH is getting snipped next spring/summer after our DD is born so unless something miraculous happens, we're done with babies after this one).

boltfam
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
:yeahthat: I give you an A+ in double stroller studies. :ROTFLMAO:

Thanks! I had some good teachers. :D

OP, I drive a Chevy Malibu...decent-sized trunk. I tried out the BJCCD in there, and it fits but it does take up most of my trunk. The front wheels do come off, though, so that helps.