PDA

View Full Version : Who is a resident doctor?

slworld
12-14-2009, 05:07 PM
So I got a call from DS' DCP saying he is not eating anything and does not seem to want to play. He is also fiddling with his ear a lot it seems. So I call the ped's office for an appt. Our ped is all booked today so we got an appt with the Resident Doctor? Are they someone who finished medical school but are still pursuing a specialization (pediatrics, I assume, in this case). Would you consider seeing a resident doctor is this situation? The clinic is part of a teaching hospital. Just looking for some inputs since we have never seen one before.

Thanks much

brittone2
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Yep, wouldn't hesitate especially for something that seems pretty uncomplicated. Hope your little one feels better ASAP.

o_mom
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I believe that "residency" is the 3(?) years right after medical school, though the first year is usually called "internship". For what sounds like a typical childhood illness, possibly and ear infection, I would be fine with seeing the resident.

JenaW
12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Residents are almost always supervised by an attending (a full fledged physician who has completed his/her training). An intern/first year resident is just out of medical school, but by this point in the year should be well versed at diagnosing an ear infection or upper resp infection. Again, they ARE supervised. They will typically see your child first, then go out of the room and present the info to their attending (or a physician assistant/nuse practitioner supervisor) and then come back (either alone or together) and implement the plan (diagnosis, Rx, etc)

good luck...hope your little one feels better soon

JElaineB
12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
DS goes to a peds clinic in a large university-owned teaching hospital and we see residents all the time for urgent care visits. I wouldn't think twice about it. They are supervised by a staff physician and usually the staff physician examines DS after the resident has (unless they are nearly done with residency then sometimes the resident handles it alone).

hollybloom24
12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Residents have graduated from medical school and are now in a paid (very poorly paid) training program called a "residency." A residency can last from three years to over 10 years depending on the speciality being pursued.

The first year of a residency is typically called "internship" (and the trainee is called an "intern") and it is a year of a general overview of medicine/hospitals for those who will be pursuing more specialized areas. For example, it gives someone who plans to be a surgeon an opportunity to see how other specialities work.

A "fellow" is a fully trained physician who has graduated from a residency program (and depending on the speciality may have passed their board certification exam for their speciality) and is now seeking advanced training, a "fellowship," in their speciality.

By law, residents need to be supervised by an attending physician. See this article in the NY Times about the death of Libby Zion - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/health/03zion.html

If you are uncomfortable with the resident, you can always ask to see whoever is supervising him/her.

ThreeofUs
12-14-2009, 06:57 PM
If you are uncomfortable with the resident, you can always ask to see whoever is supervising him/her.

:yeahthat: And don't hesitate just to be nice if you feel they're fumbling or missing something. Go with your gut and ask for their supervisor to come.

geochick
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
My dh is a physician, and went through the whole process. He now works at a university hospital and teaches the residents (yes, they've completed med school, and are now training in their specific field).

So, when we go in to our clinic, and there are residents there I usually LOVE it. Why? Because the residents are the ones who are getting all the up to date training, they're usually the ones doing most of the grunt work, and research. They're highly trained and up on their stuff (not behind like so many attendings we know). The ONLY time I get a little nervous is when we get an Intern (first year of residency after medical school, as others here have said). Sometimes they are a bit nervous, and don't quite have their bedside manner up to snuff. If I don't feel comfortable with an Intern, I always ask for their supervising physician. There's ALWAYS a supervising physician with docs in training.

I'd go to a resident doctor for most things.

DrSally
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
I believe that "residency" is the 3(?) years right after medical school, though the first year is usually called "internship". For what sounds like a typical childhood illness, possibly and ear infection, I would be fine with seeing the resident.

:yeahthat:

ETA: If there's anything complicated, they should have access to an attending physician to run things past. And, yes, they are also up to date on the latest since they're in the peak of their training.

tarahsolazy
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Just another plug for residents. I've been one, and now I take my kids to them all the time. I see them for some of my own healthcare, too. I have had two c-sections, both done by residents. :)