PDA

View Full Version : If you could have one superpower ...

Fairy
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
. . . what would you choose? I'm not giving an "other," option, I just picked ten powers. Yes, I got these mainly from Marvel lore and Heroes ;-)

Fairy
12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm really torn. I can't decide between Ability to fly, Invisibility, Time Travel, and Talk to animals. I think I'm gonna pick fly. Barely.

mommylamb
12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Teleportation without a doubt. I could avoid the afternoon rush hour.... that just sounds like heaven.

MontrealMum
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Invisibility would be really useful at times, but time travel....does that one come with the Doctor? Yummy ;)

bluestar2
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Time travel would be way cool!

SnuggleBuggles
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Ds1 voted in the poll. :) He chose telekinesis. He had never heard of it before and is now very, very intrigued!

Me? I'd chose flying or teleportation b/c the ability to freely and easily move about the world would be wonderful. I would get to see so much more of the world that way!

Beth

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I picked invisible so I could spy on people and disappear from difficult/scary situations. :)

Fairy
12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Invisibility would be really useful at times, but time travel....does that one come with the Doctor? Yummy ;)

Only if his name is Tom Baker.

Fairy
12-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I picked invisible so I could spy on people and disappear from difficult/scary situations. :)

Hee! FLOVE!

shawnandangel
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I choose time travel. I love history and would love to travel through different times in our history.

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Hee! FLOVE! I'm embarrassed to say I had to look up FLOVE. :ROTFLMAO:

Twoboos
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I had to look up FLOVE. :ROTFLMAO:

OK, Flove has been killing me for a while now, and just looked it up too. You are not alone!! :wavey:

DrSally
12-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Tough one. Out of all the Xmen, I always wanted to be Jean Gray. I have a hard time choosing btwn. invisibility, invincibility, and telepathy. I would choose time travel, but worry about the ramifications of polluting the time line.

Twoboos
12-14-2009, 05:56 PM
This is a tough one. I finally picked Teleportation so I could just get to where I'm going, already!!!

elektra
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Time travel. Although the whole messing up the time-space continuum and all that would really stress me out. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around how the things you do when you travel back in time affect the "future".
Because I think I would need a better understanding of this before I started betting on winning teams and such after peeking into the past and seeing who won.
I would really want to travel to certain times throughout history to take my vacations with my winnings.
But it would weigh heavy about all the lives you could save by going back and changing things, but still not having a chance to do it all, right?
When does LOST start again? ;)

o_mom
12-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Depends on which Doctor. :hysterical:

Twoboos
12-14-2009, 06:08 PM
t?
When does LOST start again? ;)

Feb 2 - 50 days, not that I'm counting!!

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
OK, Flove has been killing me for a while now, and just looked it up too. You are not alone!! :wavey: Oh good! I'm so clueless!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Time travel. Since my mom died when I was 5 and got sick when I was 2 I would love to meet her... And I miss my dad, too.

codex57
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Telepathy. Course, I would be using this for selfish reasons. Like building an empire for myself. :p I'll give you guys free car seats if you don't use your superpowers to oppose me. :D

Fairy
12-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I'm nutty for time travel. Fascinates me. Aside from whether or not we can find a way to scientifically create the ability to fold space so that we can do it, I do think of the ramifications alot. The Star Trek eps about time travel are my faves. The pure ethics of it all are mind-boggling.

Let's say I run into myself, which me is me? In the latest Star Trek movie, Nimoy's spock from the future was "Spock Prime," but what makes him the primary Spock? That's the whole deal with the butterfly effect, too, it's like, one teeny tiny thing could cause a domino effect of things to happen that would possilby wipe myself out. Yet ... I'm here. In the past. I could discuss this all day.

My favorite depiction of time travel was in the original Superman movie. Superman is devastated that Lois is dead. He refuses to let it happen. He flies around the earth so fast that he's going faster than the earth is actually revolving so that the effect from his perspective is that it's actually moving backwards. When he stops, he can go to where he needs to be to save her. Outstanding stuff.

Worst depiction of time travel was Timecop, but I love the movie, anyway :-)

Fairy
12-14-2009, 06:41 PM
And sorry for the flove confusion. I learned it on another board, and I just get lazy and use it other places. I looked it up just now to see what the urban dictionary said, and it's not quite what my usage is that I learned. I learned that it's short for "f***in' love," as in toooootally looooove and adore this whole concept, sooooo cool! Maybe I misunderstood from the start. Hmm ... well, that's how I use it, anyway :-). Darn confusing message board vernaculars!

MontrealMum
12-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Only if his name is Tom Baker.

Well, I was thinking David Tennant, but my 2nd choice would be Tom Baker. I had such a crush on this one guy in h/s, mostly because he wore a trench and a long multi-colored scarf!

elektra
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Let's say I run into myself, which me is me? In the latest Star Trek movie, Nimoy's spock from the future was "Spock Prime," but what makes him the primary Spock? That's the whole deal with the butterfly effect, too, it's like, one teeny tiny thing could cause a domino effect of things to happen that would possilby wipe myself out. Yet ... I'm here. In the past. I could discuss this all day.

I think about this too and I am really looking forward to how LOST explains it. I was really digging their whole "what is meant to be is meant to be" or "what has happened has happened" whatever they were calling it which was basically implying that you can't change the past. It's really hard for movies to get the time travel thing right. I think Hereos blew it, that's for sure. I am actually reading a time travel book right now and have always been haunted by an Orson Scott Card time travel short story too. Time travel is trippy!
I think telepathy would be my second choice after time travel. I think that would really come in handy. Teleportation would really do me no good unless my whole family had the ability too.

neeleymartin
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
invisibility is first, with time travel a close second. such a fun thread.

i always think of harry potter with invisibility.

dcmom2b3
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Telepathy. Course, I would be using this for selfish reasons. Like building an empire for myself. :p I'll give you guys free car seats if you don't use your superpowers to oppose me. :D

I'm with you, codex. Telepathy would be my choice, with teleportation a close second (just to ease my darned commute, school drop off and pick up).

sunshine873
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Teleportation hands down.

1 - DH travels a lot (would love to be able to pop in for a visit from time to time :kisscheek:)

2 - Family lives 1100 miles away. 17 hour drive or pricey airfare...enough said.

3 - I live at least 30 minutes away from any shopping. Even the tiniest of errands end up taking all day. "since I'll be down there, I might as well..."

infomama
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
I originally thought I would choose 'ability to fly' but 'time travel' won out big time.

wellyes
12-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Fairy, you're such a geek. I love that about you.

I want the ability Claire has on Heroes to heal instantly from anything, feel no pain and be able to cure others. Then again, I suppose that healing thing would be a great deal of responsibility.

Failing that, being a vegetarian vampire would ROCK. Yeah, yeah, super fast and strong and immortal and all that are nice but what I love most is that it makes you beautiful and sparkly LOL.

But I voted time travel from the options given. Go back to my teenaged self and kick my own butt for being too scare of everything!

elephantmeg
12-14-2009, 09:18 PM
teleport all the way. I would love, love, love to just arrive in Chicago and have supper with my bro. Or to Lake Munkamba (Zaire) for a swim. Or to church at our church in Mandeville. I wish for it all.the.time

maestramommy
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I picked fly. I fly in my dreams a lot;)

kristenk
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Teleportation.

I think I would cause myself a lot of stress and anxiety with time travel or invisibility. I'm a nosy person and I know I'd be tempted to find out a lot of things that I'm probably better off not knowing!

Teleportation would be great, though! Talk about easy vacation travel!

ThreeofUs
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Gotta be invincibility. C'mon. Invincible? I'd never have to lose!

DH says he'd go for fun: he'd *fly*!

TwinFoxes
12-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Time travel. I'd get to see my mom again. It's been seven long years since she passed. :(

mommyp
12-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Teleportation for sure. DH and I have already discussed this, LOL. It would be best if we both had it (and DD too, can it be inherited?). All family is 3000 miles away and although we love where we live, we get tired of missing out on family gatherings. It sure would have come in handy during the 3 years DH and I were living apart, too. And the vacation travel....I see no downside to teleportation! Time travel intrigues me, but too much stress.

ETA: Hey my 500th post, I like that it was about superpowers!

bubbaray
12-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Time Travel. I'd like to talk to my dad. I don't even remember his voice.

And, I'd like to tell my mom what a complete witch she was. Yeah, definitely would like to have a few *words* with her.

crl
12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
I picked invisibility (which is actually pretty revealing, lol). But I kind of wanted to fly too. And I was also really tempted by super strength.

Catherine

katydid1971
12-14-2009, 11:27 PM
I picked ability to fly but I would also love to be able to wiggle my nose and have my dishes done (ala bewitched). I never understood why Darren had such a problem with that. I'm wiggling away right now but the sink is still full.

billysmommy
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Time travel in a heartbeat :)

sarahsthreads
12-15-2009, 01:24 AM
I chose time travel, but not so I could go back to witness the past or forward in time to be able to bet on winning sports teams.

I'd use it like Hermione uses the time turner in Harry Potter - you know, so I can get all ten million things I need/want/ought to get done every day somewhat closer to done!

Sarah :)

Fairy
12-15-2009, 03:28 AM
I chose time travel, but not so I could go back to witness the past or forward in time to be able to bet on winning sports teams.

I'd use it like Hermione uses the time turner in Harry Potter - you know, so I can get all ten million things I need/want/ought to get done every day somewhat closer to done!

Sarah :)

Oh, I soooo need a time turner.

Kitten007
12-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Teleportation....I would go to Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Hawaii.....you name it...I AM THERE!!!!! Vacation BABY..YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!! (thank you Austin Powers!)

catroddick
12-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I chose "talk to animals", but right now, the ability to put someone to sleep with mearly a blink of my eye would sure be nice.

ilfaith
12-15-2009, 10:44 AM
...but I would also love to be able to wiggle my nose and have my dishes done (ala bewitched). I never understood why Darren had such a problem with that. I'm wiggling away right now but the sink is still full.

I suppose telekinesis would enable me to clean my house without all the hard work. The ability to pick up and put away all my kids' toys in an instant would be perfect. I know my DH wouldn't mind if I used witchcraft to tidy up.

viba424
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
If I had one superpower, it would be the ability to make annoying people stop being so annoying, haha! Between my neighbor upstairs who likes to scream sneeze, neighbor next door who has to slam his door three times very hard each day, and our secretary who....I could go on and on...., yes that would definitely be my choice. :ROTFLMAO:

HIU8
12-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Totally chose teleportation. To not have to deal with traffic and the amount of time it takes to go 5 miles from home (30 minutes) would be wonderful. I have other powers I would want but that tops my list;