PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii with 4 & 7 yos, need boosters in rental?

swrenak
12-14-2009, 06:03 PM
We'll be travelling to Hawaii with our 4 year old (43 lbs, 45 inches) and 7 year old (47 lbs, 49 inches). It seems that when we get there we should have them both in booster seats in the rental car. This is my first time flying with kids. I know we can't have them sit in the boosters in the plane. It looks like it costs $12/day to rent them from the car company. Should we take our own boosters and how do we check them on the plane? Do they count as baggage? (United Airlines)
Thanks.

arivecchi
12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Take your own and check them. They do not count towards your baggage allocation. You have no idea in what condition the booster rentals will be in (they could have been in accidents, barfed on, etc.) or whether they will even be available when you get there.

KrisM
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
If you'll be doing a fair amount of driving, I'd take the seats they normally use. If you're only driving a short time (airport to hotel or something), I'd get a booster for the 4 year old and bring the 7 year old's booster.

Zansu
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
We always take our own boosters (and previously carseats) (boys are 7 and 5).

Use large duffel bags. Pack each booster in a separate duffel bag and pad them with clothes. Then you can just pull them out as soon as you get to the car.

There's no guarantee that the rental place will even have a booster when you get there, even if you reserve it.

bluestar2
12-15-2009, 12:56 AM
I would bring your own, with clear plastic bags to put them in to keep them clean and they do not count as baggage. Have fun!

bubbaray
12-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I would bring your own, with clear plastic bags to put them in to keep them clean and they do not count as baggage. Have fun!

:yeahthat:

egoldber
12-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Where are you going? If you are going to the Big Island and will be driving around a lot, I would take the 4 year old's car seat vs a booster. We did a booster for Sarah when she was 4 on Hawaii and I regretted it. We did a LOT of driving and she fell asleep several times.