PDA

View Full Version : **Harry Potter-ish book rec. for a 2nd grade girl?

Corie
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Looking for a book recommendation for a 2nd grade girl
who likes Harry Potter-ish type books!

Thanks!

Meatball Mommie
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
What about the Artemis Fowl series? I read them myself ;) and thought they were great!

Corie
12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
What about the Artemis Fowl series? I read them myself ;) and thought they were great!

That's still a 5th/6th grade reading level.

I'm looking for a wizardry-type book at the 2nd/3rd grade reading level.

Thanks!! (I have a few of the Artemis Fowl books too!)

Kestrel
12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I love these books by Tamora Pierce. She writes two different series that might suit you, but I like "Song of the Lioness", which is acually a collection of four books: (in order)

Alanna: The First Adventure
In the Hand of the Goddess
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Lioness Rampant

A young girl & her twin brother, both with magic, are being sent off the school: he to be a knight, her to learn magic and be a "proper lady". Until they swap places! Brother learns magic, while Alanna learns to be a knight; pretendinn to be a boy!

The other series is "The Circle of Magic" and the books are named for each character that stars in it:

Sandry's Book
Tris's Book
Daja's Book
Briar's Book

My 8 and 9 year old nieces loved them; I hope you do too!

kransden
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Not exactly what you are talking about, but these are the books my dd loves. The problem with Happy Potter type books is that to be any good, they are mostly written at 4th grade or above. While many kids can read them at lower grades, typically they lack the comprehension to enjoy the books. The below books are age appropiate.

The Magic Tree House series
The Fairy series http://www.amazon.com/Katie-Kitten-Fairy-Pet-Fairies/dp/0545028167

DD's FAVORITE is the Princess School series. I actually like them too. For a girl book they are pretty close to what I think you are looking for. Lots of fun magic and strong female characters. http://www.scholastic.com/titles/princessschool/index.htm

Cam&Clay
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
I would recommend the Charlie Bone series. It's very Harry Potter-ish but on a slightly lower reading level.

My students (I'm a librarian) are also enjoying the book Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke.

caleymama
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
My 2nd grade DD read the whole Secrets of Droon series this past summer/fall. She loved them. You can check it out at the author's website: www.tonyabbottbooks.com

This actually reminds me that I think the next one in the series is out (#35) - I will have to put a hold on it for DD!

caleymama
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
My students (I'm a librarian) are also enjoying the book Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke.

I picked this up at the school book fair this fall but we haven't read it yet. I thought it looked like a great read.

fauve01
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
My 2nd grade DD read the whole Secrets of Droon series this past summer/fall. She loved them. You can check it out at the author's website: www.tonyabbottbooks.com (http://www.tonyabbottbooks.com)

This actually reminds me that I think the next one in the series is out (#35) - I will have to put a hold on it for DD!

:yeahthat:
this is DD exactly, right down to needing to put #35 on hold!

OP, DD loves this series. it's got magic, strange lands, good and evil forces. i think it's 3rd level according to the Scholastic book wizard.

let us know what you find! we are always looking for good books. :)

anne + DD 10-03

ray7694
12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
The Spiderwick Chronicles Series is more around that age range.

egoldber
12-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Sarah likes The Magic Thief series (there are 2 so far) by Sarah Prineas. She likes them better than Harry Potter. I'm not sure what the reading level is though.

I'm trying to interest her in The Lightning Thief (book 1 of the Percy Jackson and The Olympiads series) but so far it hasn't caught her attention. I read the first book and liked it. :)

g-mama
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm trying to interest her in The Lightning Thief (book 1 of the Percy Jackson and The Olympiads series) but so far it hasn't caught her attention. I read the first book and liked it. :)

Too funny - that is what my ds is reading right now. He has read the first 3 Harry Potter books and took a break from HP to read this. He's really liking it.

Corie
12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure what the reading level is though.

The book is actually for a friend of my daughter's. I'm not sure of her reading
level. That's why I'm afraid to buy the books at a 5th/6th grade level.

But after reading all these great book ideas, I'm going to buy some for
my daughter too!!! :) I think she would love them!

Pennylane
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
How about "Molly Moon" by Georgia Byng. It is a really great series, I have read a few and have them all for my dd. Not sure what reading level, but not any higher than Harry Potter.

Ann

billysmommy
12-14-2009, 11:05 PM
DS just started reading the Septimus Heap series. I've read them and love them so he's starting on them now. There are 5 out so far now ~ Magyk, Flyte, Physik, Queste and Syren.

I think they're a 5-6 grade level though.

thomma
12-14-2009, 11:15 PM
another plug for Secrets of Droon...my second graders loved them!

annex
12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Dragon Slayer's Academy is a good 2nd grade level fantasy series.

vonfirmath
12-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Sarah likes The Magic Thief series (there are 2 so far) by Sarah Prineas. She likes them better than Harry Potter. I'm not sure what the reading level is though.

I liked the first book of Lightning Thief, (local author) but by the end of the 2nd, was starting to realize I didn't want my kid reading this. Percy starts being the hero by disobeying his authority figures (parents, teachers). The kids are right, the adults are wrong kind of thing.

shishamo
12-15-2009, 02:11 AM
My Harry Potter loving 2nd grade daughter is reading (and loving) the Lighting Thief series. She's on to book 2.

I actually just got The Magic Thief book out for her to read it but she decided to try Lightning Thief instead. Good to hear that it is a good series!

I would also second The Spiderwick Chronicles. It is a quick read but my daughter loved it. There are 8 books so far.

Are you just looking for a fantasy book? She read this one called The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale over the summer and absolutely loved it, I think it's a Newberry winner.

egoldber
12-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Percy starts being the hero by disobeying his authority figures (parents, teachers).

Harry Potter does this too. It's an element in almost all children's literature.

Didn't Cinderella disobey her stepmother by going to the ball?

But I'm pretty much a rebel so there you go. ;)

Corie
12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
She read this one called The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale over the summer and absolutely loved it, I think it's a Newberry winner.

I'm adding this one to my list!

fauve01
12-15-2009, 01:09 PM
I just remembered a series that a friend told us about that he loved when he was a kid. we haven't read them yet, and i am not sure of the reading level, but i thought i would post in case it helps someone:

Half Magic by Edward Eager
http://www.amazon.com/Half-Magic-Edward-Eager/dp/0152020683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260896854&sr=8-1

HTH,
Anne + DD 10-03

caleymama
12-15-2009, 01:40 PM
I just remembered a series that a friend told us about that he loved when he was a kid. we haven't read them yet, and i am not sure of the reading level, but i thought i would post in case it helps someone:

http://www.amazon.com/Half-Magic-Edward-Eager/dp/0152020683/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260896854&sr=8-1

HTH,
Anne + DD 10-03

LOVE these books. I have my childhood copies of Half Magic, Magic or Not, and Knight's Castle on DDs' bookshelves. I haven't read them to DDs (yet) and DD1 hasn't been interested in them on her own, but they are some of my absolute favorites!

Corie
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM

HTH,
Anne + DD 10-03

I have these on my list too! I had another book thread awhile ago and
Beth (egolder) suggested this book series.

The books look great! :)

egoldber
12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
They are great books. Not really HPish though. :)