PDA

View Full Version : Recommend you glass bottle & sterilizer

jkgal
12-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Hi I am a new mom to be and thinking of using glass bottles. Was recommended to use Born Free but wanted saw that there are other cheaper option for glass bottles. like Evenflo or Gerber.

Wanted to know your opinions in terms of the best glass bottles out there that would be colic free and easy to use.

Also can you recommend your electric sterilizer. I heard good review about Avent one but just want to check if it would work with other glass bottles.

Lastly, do I also need a bottle drying rack? Or can the bottles dry in the sterilizer?

Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-15-2009, 11:56 AM
You don't need a sterilizer. You only need to sterilize the bottles once when you first open them and you can do that in a pan of water. Or your dishwasher.

Naranjadia
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
We used the Evenflo and they worked great. We ran them in the dishwasher and let them dry in there, too. We didn't use a sterilizer. I don't know anyone who has.

JBaxter
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Ive always used a bottle sterlizer for the first 6 months. Maybe it was over kill but it made me feel better ;) I used the especially for baby microwave sterilzer. I tried the evenflo glass bottles and had real issues with the venting. I switched to the bpa free Dr Brown's bottles. You can use the vet parts of the dr brown bottles in the evenflo 8oz bottles ( clip the tube a bit.

I sterilzed all my bottles nipples pacifers and chewy toys for the first 6-9 months

jenandahalf
12-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I also sterilized all of my pump parts, bottles, nipples, pacifiers and teething toys until she was at least a year old, using a generic microwave sterilizer. I'll probably get the microwave Avent one this time around. The bottles are supposed to stay in the closed sterilizer until you are ready to use them, if we needed to empty it to put more in we would assemble the bottles and put them in the fridge.

I personally don't understand how it is that people will Lysol their entire house and then not sterilize a baby's bottle. And don't get me started on the bathing the baby in the kitchen sink thing! We just do things differently in Europe I guess...

jenandahalf
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Oh and it's hard to say which bottle your baby will prefer. There is no 'best', only what the baby likes best!

jkgal
12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses.

For those using the dishwasher to wash the bottles. Did you wash them separately? No dishes and all? I was wondering about mixing the grease of the the dishes along with the baby stuff.

Also what time to dish soap did you use?

Re: glass bottles. heard about colic being an issue. how would I know if the bottle is causing the colic of my baby.