PDA

View Full Version : If you own a dropside crib, what are you doing with it?

firsttimemama
12-15-2009, 10:54 AM
I am thinking a ban on dropside cribs is coming. I have a $600? Pali dropside crib that we have never used. We unexpectedly became cosleepers. I EBF, and figure that I will also cosleep with any future children. I can't figure out if I should:

1) sell the crib
2) donate the crib
3) keep the crib but only use it as a sidecar for DS #1 to possibly sleep in if he wants to sleep with me and I'm cosleeping with DC#2 (Sidecar = using the crib with the dropside REMOVED - the crib would be more like a toddler bed & pushed up against my bed) DS #1 is now 2 and I'm not pregnant yet, just for reference on age.

I have this gut feeling that I wouldn't feel safe using a dropside crib with DC2 as an infant. Even if I WANTED to use a crib (which I may considering DS is a horrible sleeper, I'll probably want to try something different)

khalloc
12-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I am keeping mine to hopefully pass down to my kids someday. I bought a Pacific Rim maple crib for about $800 and its really beautiful. Solid maple, no chemical finish, it has a wax finish. The drop side is very sturdy and there really is NO space around the mattress.

I'll save it for my grandchildren. Hopefully they will be able to use it.

I'm not really that familiar with the dangers of dropside cribs. Mine takes quite a bit of work to get it to drop. You have to push in at the bottom of the crib while also pulling up and then pushing down.

If the drop side is really an issue my husband could probably change it to be solid, he enjoys furniture making and woodworking.

JBaxter
12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Im still using mine. It converts to a full size bed so when Jack is ready we will do that.

TonFirst
12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm using mine. It's an American-made iron Legacy crib. I check the joints and all the parts weekly and adjust as necessary. We've had no problems so far. FWIW, I also use it with a crib tent - both of my kids are crib-climber-outers.

tarahsolazy
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm still using mine, its also an American-made Legacy crib, and it has the hidden hardware, which I think is a safer option than the exposed plastic that caused the fatal malfunctions.

My DD is almost 3, and we'll move her to a twin bed around then. At that point, I'll probably sell it cheap or donate it. I think someone could get more safe use out of it. We have the manual to include, so that it can be set up safely and checked well.

wellyes
12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Still using mine and plan to for #2. I understand the reasoning behind the ban, some cheap drop-sides were really poorly made. Ours wasn't expensive but it's rock-solid.

DebbieJ
12-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Using my Pali.

mamicka
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
We're still using it & plan to with #4. Ours is a Ragazzi & I have no concerns about it's safety. I check it often.

MoJo
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Still using mine and plan to for #2. I understand the reasoning behind the ban, some cheap drop-sides were really poorly made. Ours wasn't expensive but it's rock-solid.

:yeahthat:

DH agrees 100% on this one. No idea what we'll do after #2 is through with it. By then, we probably won't care.

MontrealMum
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
We're still using it and plan to keep it for a potential #2 after DS moves to a big bed. It's Canadian made (NOT the brand on recall) w/o exposed hardware, and the hardware is all metal. We feel that it's safe.

pb&j
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Still using ours. I do check and tighten the bolts regularly. However, we usually just leave the drop side down. If DD starts trying to climb out, I'll start raising the side again.

AnnieW625
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
We are using ours, it's 59 yrs. old and a family heirloom, meets current standards for slats within 1/8", has been restained with beautiful maple stain by mom, has all metal hardware, and the cutout in the top of it is less than 1/1/2" high so there is no way a head or even a hand could get stuck. The crib has been in our family since my Grandma bought it for my Dad in 1950. It was loaned out to a family friend in the early 70s (painted with white paint), but it's been fully restored to it's former glory by my mom.

Here are some links to it from a previous post a couple of weeks ago (see post 24):
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=342602&page=3

vonfirmath
12-15-2009, 12:27 PM
We're still using ours. I think a complete ban on dropside cribs is massive overkill and just another reason to keep the government out of stuff. Because they only know how to kill flies with hammers.

maestramommy
12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
We are keeping the crib, in fact Laurel is in it right now. We are NOT using the drop side feature. And Dh will be rigging something so it can't accidentally come off the rail.

crl
12-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Ours is not currently in use, but we still have it, planning for a second child. We're hoping Pali will come out with a kit to convert it to a fixed side crib. (I have already inquired and the response was that the crib is safe and they do not have any kit to convert it to a fixed side; but we're hoping they'll change their position, if all drop side cribs really are banned for sale in the US). If not, I think we will buy an IKEA fixed side crib and use that until the second child is ready for a toddler bed--then we'll set up the Pali in toddler bed configuration.

We're both a bit nervous about using a drop side crib at this point and we figure an extra $100 for an IKEA crib is worth not worrying about it.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
We have two dropside cribs by Stanley, plus another loaned out Sorelle. hmmm....not sure. The YA ones are in use, and we will continue to use them. They are rock solid.

arivecchi
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I think we will buy an IKEA fixed side crib and use that until the second child is ready for a toddler bed :yeahthat: I would just get an Ikea stationary crib as well if I had a dropside crib. OP, I would keep the crib if it converts to a toddler bed or bed, but not use it as a crib. In my opinion, the drop side feaure is not necessary and I am glad the govt is banning them (if they are indeed doing this). Obviously, we cannot rely on the manufacturers to police themselves.

AshleyAnn
12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I have a hand me down childcraft crib that I intend to hang on to until menopause. It has all metal hardware and there is NO way it could break like the recalled cribs. It survived 3 babies with its former owner and is still perfect. I'm not sure what we'll do with it when we're done with babies - we're a long long way from being done.

Momof3Labs
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Using our drop-side Sorelle (it has been in almost constant use for 7 years, and is as solid as can be). We also bought a drop-side Pali off of Craigslist that we will use when the girls need to be separated. I wouldn't buy a cheaper brand used (w/ drop side) but felt comfortable with the Pali.

veronica
12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Keeping/using ours! we have one for each DC but both turn into toddler beds and full sized headboards. One is from Morigeau Lepine and the other Bellini. We love them both and will be converting soon anyway. I'd buy another drop side (well made one) without hesitation too.

vonfirmath
12-15-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a hand me down childcraft crib that I intend to hang on to until menopause. It has all metal hardware and there is NO way it could break like the recalled cribs. It survived 3 babies with its former owner and is still perfect. I'm not sure what we'll do with it when we're done with babies - we're a long long way from being done.

Exactly. There are ways to make dropside cribs that don't have the problems.

citymama
12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I can't imagine our crib would be recalled. It's a beautifully made Bellini with adjustable levels, drop sides on either side, and fully converts to a toddler bed. We're going to use it for DD2, which means we'll have it another 3 years or so. At that point, I don't really care what we do with it, but given how well-made it is, I could imagine another family could get years of use from it. Materials used are wood and metal for the lever where you make the side drop - there's no way a kid can tinker with that.

I haven't heard anything about dropside cribs being banned - what did I miss?

michellerw
12-15-2009, 05:26 PM

I could have pretty much written this post. Ours came from my godmother and it's survived all three of her grandchildren. She paid like $700 for it 8 years ago, the hardware is safe, and Childcraft just issued another announcement that they have no intention of a recall. I'll hang on it it and use it as soon as baby comes.