PDA

View Full Version : Napping in swing?

Andi98989
12-15-2009, 11:47 AM
How much of a potential problem am I setting myself up for by letting DS nap in his swing? He used to nap great in his crib, but starting last week we've been having big nap issues with him, and he'll really only crash out for more than a few minutes if he's in his swing.

Each time he starts to get tired (droopy eyes, less active, etc...), I try and put him down in his crib first with his swaddle and pacifier. He usually ends up 'playing' in there for quite a while before getting totally fed up with it. Then it takes a while to settle him down again. If I put him back down in the crib, he freaks. If I put him in his swing, he'll hang out for a while and then fall asleep.

He's sleeping from midnight to 7 or 8a, getting up once to eat, so I know he's tired and needs sleep during the day. It doesn't seem to matter when we start his bedtime routine or put him to bed; he'll be awake until almost midnight.

sste
12-15-2009, 12:03 PM
In the first 3 months, I don't think you are setting yourself up for trouble. The baby simply doesn't totally realize/remember what is going on. Months 3-4 start to be a little more of a danger zone in terms of habits. I would probably not do the swing - - or any sleeping arrangement but the one I wanted long-term - - much after four months.

Our DS slept in the swing as a newborn and transitioned easily to his crib and is a champion sleeper. So, don't worry!

lchang25000
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
DS napped in his swing everyday until he was over 6 months old and he transitioned to napping in his crib with no major issues.

Andi98989
12-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks - that makes me feel better. He's going to grandma's for daycare in a couple of weeks, and he'll be napping in a pack n play there. He did it for her the other day, and her swing is a more 'traditional' style that he can't really nap well in - mine is a cradle swing.

I have a feeling it will probably be easier for grandma to get him into a nap routine than it is for me, too.

happymom
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree with PP's. DD slept in the swing through the night until she was about 4-5 months old! I know many people will tell you that is setting up for disaster, but it was the only way she would sleep. Guess what? She sleeps beautifully in her crib now, thankfully!

Put him in the swing and go take a nap too! I'm sure you need it!!:sleeping:

LarsMal
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Baby C slept in her swing or bouncy seat for six months. She transitioned pretty easily to the crib. Funny thing is now she doesn't want to be in the swing. Maybe she thinks she has to go to sleep when I put her in it! :)

carolinamama
12-15-2009, 01:10 PM
With my first, I though he had to sleep in the crib or we would be in "trouble". The first few months were gruelling in that he didn't sleep more than 20 minutes at a time. I was a mess. By the time I had DS2, I decided I didn't care where he slept if it worked. So, he slept in his swing until he was 5-6 months old. And I'm talking night and day. It didn't have to be running (he had bad reflux and I think the slight incline helped him sleep) but he wanted to be in his swing. He went straight from the swing to sleeping in his crib on his stomach and we didn't have any problems. Also I will add that DS2 doesn't have any flat spots on his head. I think that's because he was in our arms alot of the time he wasn't in his swing. Sometimes I think you have to do what works for you as a family.

StantonHyde
12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
ITA with the PPs. DD slept in a bouncy for 2 mos, then the swing till she was 6 or more mos and the motor started having troubles running the swing!!

I "ferberized" her one night. It lasted for 2 hours--with me going in to check on her every 15 minutes. From then on she slept and napped in her crib, no problem. In the scheme of things--that is a non event!

Do whatever works in the first 3 mos (or the first 6 as I did!)

deannanb
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to add that DS slept in the swing for 3 months!
I never had it on - he just liked being bundled and sitting a little while sleeping.

SnuggleBuggles
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought I was doing something wrong with ds1 because he didn't take "crib naps" till 5-6m. I mean a nap where it was at a designated, pretty consistent time day to day, for a decent length, every day, in his crib. But, when I started telling people about my worries they assured me that it was very normal not to have these kinds of naps till 5-6+m. Till then, cat naps or snoozing in the swing, arms, bouncy seat, etc. were all normal.

Beth

hellokitty
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM
In the first 3 months, I don't think you are setting yourself up for trouble. The baby simply doesn't totally realize/remember what is going on. Months 3-4 start to be a little more of a danger zone in terms of habits. I would probably not do the swing - - or any sleeping arrangement but the one I wanted long-term - - much after four months.

Our DS slept in the swing as a newborn and transitioned easily to his crib and is a champion sleeper. So, don't worry!

:yeahthat: The problem too with a swing is that you should NOT keep the swing on. I would let it swing him to sleep, and then turn it off. If you leave the swing on while they are sleeping they get used to needing the swinging motion and I remember reading somewhere the motion sleep is not as, "good" as non-motionless sleep, if that makes any sense. I also think that by 4 mo you need to get out of the sleeping in the swing situation, and figure out what you want to do long term.