PDA

View Full Version : OT: Plantar fasciitis surgery/PRP therapy

sidmand
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Has anyone had either plantar fasciitis surgery or PRP therapy for plantar fasciitis?

After seven months and virtually no change (after cortizone shots, PT, night brace) my options have come down to surgery or PRP therapy.

I know my insurance will likely not cover PRP therapy but I would definitely still consider it if it seems to be the way to go.

I'm planning on doing some more research in the next few days but when the doctor described it, PRP therapy was less invasive but also had a smaller success rate than surgery (and surgery is more expensive but would likely be almost 100% covered by insurance).

I am on my feet much more than I should be. I find it very difficult to let someone else do stuff for me and I still have to run around after my DCs, so I'm not sure how I'm going to manage either one, but I know I need to.

FWIW I do have diabetes and although it is under control, that does play somewhat of a factor in healing.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

tarabenet
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
First let me say I have not had the problem you are having. I'm really clear on the fact that is absolutely miserable, ad I'm sorry you are going through all that. I have watched a friend go through it and braces and PT did not help her either. She refused to have the surgery, because she'd seen her mom have some kind of foot surgery (not the same, I don't think) and never recover normal walking. Her doctor gave her one experimental option involving sonic waves. She said the treatment sessions themselves were horrible, but the results were amazing. A few weeks of that and she lost her limp. I don't know if it is an option for you, but it is worth looking into.

I have had proliferation therapy on my back with amazing results. (Obviously backs are very different than feet, and they don't take the daily pounding your poor feet do.) Any chance that might help? I'll include a link to my doc, who has good info posted, and to a prolotherapy website with tons of articles. My doc generally starts at prolotherapy, but will escalate to PRP and even stem cell therapy if needed. Here's my doc: http://www.spineandsportssolutions.com/index.html And here's the other site: http://www.getprolo.com/

Whatever else you find out I hope you find a solution that gets you quick results! Good luck!

JBaxter
12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
We are currently dealing with a re-injury with my 18 yr old. We found this helps IF he does it for several weeks to allow it heal well.
Heres a video we do the around the heal tape also

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/plantar_fascia/plantar_fascia_taping.php

wimama
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Have you tried icing, stretching, and anti-inflammatories? Do you go barefoot? What type of shoes are you wearing? How old are your shoes? Did the doctor prescribe orthotics for you to use in your shoes? Does the pain feel burning in nature? Does the pain shoot up or down from your heel?

I have found that with aggressive conservative treatment, very few of my patients require surgical intervention. Some heel pain can be a result of nerve entrapment, such as Tarsal Tunnel. Or the pain can originate from back problems causing pinched nerves. Have these conditions been excluded?

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

sidmand
12-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Have you tried icing, stretching, and anti-inflammatories? Do you go barefoot? What type of shoes are you wearing? How old are your shoes? Did the doctor prescribe orthotics for you to use in your shoes? Does the pain feel burning in nature? Does the pain shoot up or down from your heel?

I have found that with aggressive conservative treatment, very few of my patients require surgical intervention. Some heel pain can be a result of nerve entrapment, such as Tarsal Tunnel. Or the pain can originate from back problems causing pinched nerves. Have these conditions been excluded?

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

I've done all of that. I've changed my shoes, I'm wearing orthotics (though not custom), my shoes are new, I've done icing, stretching, physical therapy, cortisone shots, nighttime brace...

My feet are VERY sensitive (they were before this--I've never been able to walk barefoot outside and pedicures are a nightmare!) and if you barely touch my foot with any pressure at all I wince in pain. The doctor has said it's extremely inflamed and nothing we've done so far has seemed to make a dent and that I may just be one of the 15% or so who doesn't respond to any other treatment.

This has been going on for months and I'm unable to do any type of cardio exercise anymore (I worked out for 45 minutes on the treadmill a couple of weeks ago and boy, did I pay for that). I want it just to go away so I can walk again, exercise again...we have an upcoming family reunion trip to Disney in April and it's going to be a nightmare if I can't even walk for more than 1/2 hour.