PDA

View Full Version : Choosing formula

emily
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Is there a reason you chose one brand of formula vs another when your child has no allergies? With our first child we went with Similac (organic) because that was the brand the hospital used. I've been getting a lot of good coupons in the mail for Enfamil and Good Start recently and wondering if there's a difference? Is one better than another if the child doesnt have a preference?

TIA!

rizzo0904
12-15-2009, 06:10 PM
We used Vermont Organics...actually cheaper than Similac and Enfamil. My son didn't like the other two, but like VO.

JBaxter
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
No theres not. If your child can tollerate cheeper formula then go for it. Its all approved by the fda ( thats sold in the US)

stillplayswithbarbies
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
we found that some brands dissolved better than others and some smelled less offensive than others. I used whatever free samples we got and whatever we had a coupon for that made it less than the Costco brand.

(our baby was six monthd old when we got her and we supplemented breastfeeding with two bottles of formula a day, it might be different with a newborn)

MoJo
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't have much experience with formula, but my ped specifically recommended the Good Start.

lowrioh
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Is there a reason you chose one brand of formula vs another when your child has no allergies? With our first child we went with Similac (organic) because that was the brand the hospital used. I've been getting a lot of good coupons in the mail for Enfamil and Good Start recently and wondering if there's a difference? Is one better than another if the child doesnt have a preference?

TIA!

Unless you child has some sort of metabolic issue/preference there isn't much difference. All formula's sold in the US have to meet certain nutritional and safety standards.
I personally used Good Start formula when I was done BF. I seemed to remember reading the Nestle tested both the starting materials and the finished products for microbial and chemical contaminants which wasn't done by all companies at the time. (not sure if that has changed)

Also remember that for a lot of reasons, powdered formula is the better way to go in most cases.

jenandahalf
12-16-2009, 03:10 PM
They generally are all the same but you may find your baby just prefers one over another. My daughter had one for daytime and one for nighttime, the day one didn't fill her up at night but the night one was too filling for daytime and gave her reflux.

Normally they advise that you stick with the one kind once you have figured out which you want to use. The ingredients are slightly different in each type so it isn't good on their systems to keep adjusting. I'm hoping the Target own brand will work right off the bat for my son, since my friend has been happy with it and it's definitely one of the cheaper ones. But he's going to want what he wants so we'll see!

catsnkid
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Ped did say Good Start, DS spit it out. I then tried Similac and he likes it. I personally think it tastes better myself. ;-)

sunshine873
12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
DD was in the NICU for 3 months - they supplemented her with Similac Neosure. Feeding a preemie is a delicate science, so there was no way I was messing with the concoction they came up with to help her gain weight. Glad I stuck with it! My 1 lb, 8 oz preemie is now a chubby 17 lb, 5 oz! :)

bigpassport
12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
We just continued with the brand the hospital started him on (Similac Advace Early Shield) because he was doing well on it, not spitting up, gainin weight, etc. As for coupons, through the magic of the BBB I have been able to trade all my Enfamils for Similacs:)