PDA

View Full Version : Ride-on toys and hardwood floors

firsttimemama
12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
We just got hardwood floors. Are ride-on toys OK on them? Are some ride-ons OK and some not OK? I did a search.. read an old thread ('06).. looked like most people didn't have any issues. Does it matter what kind of wheels the ride-ons have?

We have several (cozy coupe, tiny trike radio flyer, etc) and I'm just wondering if I need to be nervous about using them on the new hardwood floors or not.

arivecchi
12-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Some are ok some are not. Motorized ones are definitely not good.

o_mom
12-15-2009, 11:35 PM
We just got hardwood floors. Are ride-on toys OK on them? Are some ride-ons OK and some not OK? I did a search.. read an old thread ('06).. looked like most people didn't have any issues. Does it matter what kind of wheels the ride-ons have?

We have several (cozy coupe, tiny trike radio flyer, etc) and I'm just wondering if I need to be nervous about using them on the new hardwood floors or not.

If you buy them new and never use them outside, you might be OK. IME, the plastic wheels, once used outside on concrete are roughed up and likely to scratch.

WatchingThemGrow
12-15-2009, 11:40 PM
We just let them ride b/c really, what's more important...gleaming hardwoods or smiling kids? There's a product made by Bona (http://www.bona.com/corporate/corporate/Products/Consumer/Bona_Care_System/Bona_Care_wooden_floor_Refresher/) that we'll use eventually to refresh our floors when we're ready to move or our DC are done with ride-ons. Ours are 50 year old floors that *I* refinished myself in 2003, so I do have a vested interested :)

Momof3Labs
12-16-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm okay with rubber tires on the hardwood floors, but not hard plastic tires.

kristac
12-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I konw plasma cars are not recommended for hardwoods. I would also not use something previously used outside. We have hardwoods in all but one room downstairs but they need refinished anyway so I don't worry too much.

ThreeofUs
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Like PPs, we've found that hard tires mark up the floors, but rubber tires don't. And, of course, once a toy is used outside it is no longer possible to use it inside (without scratching the HECK out of the floors).

sste
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I have not done this personally but I have seen people put painters tape or duct tape around the wheel surface to stop scratching.

deannanb
12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
we have had our wood floors for 8 years (I think)
the last 4 years have had a coupe car, small plastic ride on toy, shopping carts, tricycle with rubber tires, tricycle with plastic tires, bike with training wheels and a scooter on the floors in the living room. Ever single one of these toys has been outside - some more than others. No problems!

my problems are in the kitchen with water/milk spills and water from washing dishes.

firsttimemama
12-17-2009, 08:26 PM
which ride ons have rubber tires? None of DS ride on toys seem to

ThreeofUs
12-17-2009, 08:52 PM
The radio flyer speedster we have has rubber tires. They're hard to find!