PDA

View Full Version : Need New Infant Seat

cnms118
12-16-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm looking to get a new infant carseat for our new baby due at the end of January. (My previous seat, a Combi Connection was donated to a needy family a year ago.) I'm thinking that since my boys both outgrew the 22lb/29" limits at 9 months, I'd like to get a seat that goes to 30+ lbs/32"+. (I'm supposed to have a girl this time, and know her growth could be totally different, but I also figure it would be easier to just use the infant seat until she is no longer rear facing and then graduate to a forward facing seat.) I'm currently driving an '08 Toyota Sienna (with latch in all 6 seats in the back). So far, I'm most interested in the Britax Companion, the Chicco KeyFit 30 and the Graco SnugRide/Safe Seat that meet my weight/height requirements. Does anyone have any thoughts? Reasons why they love/hate one of these seats?

Thanks!
Carson.

codex57
12-16-2009, 05:52 AM
I'd really just stick with the tried and true SnugRide 32 or KeyFit 30. The Graco tends to fit a lot more strollers and accessories, so that's my top choice. If you want a nicer fabric, etc, check out the Teutonia. It's just a fancier version of the Graco (both companies are owned by the same parent company).

SnuggleBuggles
12-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I would rethink the infant seat then ff'ing seat plan. I think a convertible really does have more benefit than a ff seat. The newest advice is to rf at least till age 2 and I'm not sure you could get to 2yo in an infant seat (maybe by weight but maybe not height). Also, I have both a Nautilus in my car for my 7.5yo and a Marathon for my 2yo (rf'ing) and I can't imagine ds2 would be comfy in the Nautilus. The Nautilus sits so much more upright than a convertible would. Just a thought on that part of your scenario. I'd consider a traditional convertible.

Beth

o_mom
12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
The KeyFit and Graco Snugride32/35 (aka Teutonia t-tario) are well loved and easy to install and use. The Snugride32/35 is taller than the KeyFit and lasts 3-6 months longer. The Companion is discontinued. The replacement Britax seat is the Chaparone, but it really doesn't seem to have improved much given the price.
Your Sienna has 5 LATCH positions (3 in the middle row, 2 in the third row for an 8 pass), but the KeyFit and SR32/35 have built-in lock-offs which make the installation a breeze, even with the seatbelt if you ever need to move it.

Beth also makes a great point that babies outgrowing these seats are not going to be big enough or old enough to go straight to a forward-facing seat. It is safest for them to remain rear-facing to the limits of a convertible seat and we have data through at least age 2 showing that forward-facing toddlers are at five times the risk of serious injury or death.

cnms118
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
My current stroller, an Inglesina Zippy, may not fit any of the carseats, but usually, I use a Moby Wrap, so that part doesn't make too much difference.

I don't know for sure what I'll do by the time this kid outgrows the seat. I know that my older son would have outgrown it before he was 2, but he was nearly 36 inches at 2. My younger son, who only went forward facing upon the arrival of the van, 2 weeks after his second birthday, would just barely be too big at 32-1/4" and 27 lbs. I imagine a girl would likely grow more like the younger son than the older, but who knows.

My oldest is in a Britax Frontier, which we are happy with as long as we can use latch (it is a pain otherwise.) The younger is in the cast-off Britax Deacathalon which I may have to replace before he out grows it since it will be 5 years old in 2 years.

Interesting about the rear row of the Sienna. (We do in fact have the 8 passenger version.) It was missing an owner's manual, and we're still waiting on the dealer to deliver one.

Is there any big difference between the Chicco and the Graco? Any reason to pick one over the other?

o_mom
12-16-2009, 02:51 PM
My current stroller, an Inglesina Zippy, may not fit any of the carseats, but usually, I use a Moby Wrap, so that part doesn't make too much difference.

I don't know for sure what I'll do by the time this kid outgrows the seat. I know that my older son would have outgrown it before he was 2, but he was nearly 36 inches at 2. My younger son, who only went forward facing upon the arrival of the van, 2 weeks after his second birthday, would just barely be too big at 32-1/4" and 27 lbs. I imagine a girl would likely grow more like the younger son than the older, but who knows.

My oldest is in a Britax Frontier, which we are happy with as long as we can use latch (it is a pain otherwise.) The younger is in the cast-off Britax Deacathalon which I may have to replace before he out grows it since it will be 5 years old in 2 years.

Interesting about the rear row of the Sienna. (We do in fact have the 8 passenger version.) It was missing an owner's manual, and we're still waiting on the dealer to deliver one.

Is there any big difference between the Chicco and the Graco? Any reason to pick one over the other?

The height limits are guidelines and a child that is under the 30" or 32" height limit still may be too tall if they are less than an inch from the top of the seat. The KeyFit usually lasts kids to about age 9-12 months, the Snugride32/35 until 12-18 month, a few to 21+ months.

Between the Chicco and Graco... the Graco is bigger and lasts longer. The Chicco has nicer LATCH attachments (like the Britax ones, vs. standard hooks for Graco. I like the lock-off better on the Graco, but both are very easy. The canopy on the Graco is bigger, the fabric is nicer on the KeyFit. The price of the low end Gracos is much cheaper, but the higher-end Gracos are similar price to the KF. No idea if any of those fit the stroller you have - ask the stroller folks. :)

Both seats are available at BRU, so if you can get to one to compare maybe one will jump out at you. Either one should install fine in that car, wherever you want to put it.

The Decathlon is good for six years, so you may have some time with that. Your third row should have LATCH center and passenger side, but nothing (not even a tether anchor) on the driver's side. You can only use LATCH up to 40 lbs with the Frontier, though. According to the LATCH manual, Toyota defers to the carseat manufacturer and Britax put a 40 lb limit on the Frontier unless the vehicle manufacturer says otherwise. :( It should install with a seatbelt, though not as easily. I know someone with two Frontiers in the third row of a Sienna, so it is possible.

AnnieW625
12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I really like the look of the Chicco Key Fit 30 patterns and the seat is just soo nice. The only Graco seat that really does anything for me right now is the Graco Snugride 35 in Racer, but it's only available at Babies R Us.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3709770

Here is what we are thinking of doing:

We have a low end Graco Snugride 22 from DD (I am not attached to it and honestly would like something newer, more plush, and easier to adjust) so if we chose not to use that one I'll most likely go with either the SR 35 or the Chicco Key Fit 30. The SR 35 has it's advantages, but since I honestly can't see us going more than a 12-15 mos. I think we'll most likely just get a Key Fit, which will get us longer than a regular SR 22; plus since it's a bit smaller it might fit a little better in our Corolla than the SR35.

AshleyAnn
12-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I LOVE my safeseat (now called snugride35 but its the same) but its a bit bulky for me to carry and a bit harder to get in and out of my SUV than the Snugride22 my SIL uses. I have back problems and have never been 'allowed' to lift more than 25 lbs so I obviously won't be carrying it to the full 30lb weight limit. I struggle with it sometimes and she's a petite 6lbs at the moment. FYI the seat itself weights 10lbs without the base the snugride22 weights 7.5 lbs. It is super easy to install and I've yet to find a vehicle it doesn't install in but it does push the front seats much futher forward than I expected in most cars/small SUVs. Because of the space and difficultly carrying it I plan to switch it out to a convertible before DD reaches the max weight/height because convertibles can be sat more upright in the seat which takes up less space and most older babies prefer it.

GraceH
12-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I :heartbeat: my SafeSeat, which we made it to age 2 in (at which point we made the parental decision to go FF in the Nautilus, but you'll have to evaluate as baby grows for yourself)... the new version (SnugRide35) looks to have MUCH nicer fabrics than the SR32 did... if I had to do it all over again, I would still do Graco + Mosaic, but I would pick the SR35 in 'Flint' and the Mosaic in 'Mickey' :)

The KeyFit30 has the same shell dimensions as the KF22, just a higher weight - so both will be outgrown about the same time (av. 12+ months)... I believe they're listed at 30" vs. the SR35 is listed at 32", which bumps the average outgrowth up to 16-18mo. due to the average growth curve.:wink2:

I LOVE the seatbelt install/lockoff that the SR35 has - the base design also allows for a slightly more upright adjustment for an older baby -- also, because we're in Chicago, it was a lifesaver to have option (just because you can, does mean you need to) to take the seat in through two winters and other inclement weather.

codex57
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I have a Zippy and a SnugRide 22. I'm pretty sure the SafeSeat will fit in the Zippy too. I think previous posts have mentioned that it does cuz off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone saying it doesn't fit. That's generally more of a KeyFit problem.

brittone2
12-16-2009, 10:12 PM
I think I looked up some old threads a while back on the zippy that mentioned it was compatible w/ the Key FIt, but that you had to use the little straps to tie it in for extra safety as it didn't "snap" in?? I might be remembering incorrectly though.

We have a Zippy 04 or 05 (can't remember now) and we are considering a Keyfit for baby #3 (my old Graco snugride was hated by both kids but it was the less plush, 20 lb max limit version ). I need some sort of new infant seat.

If anyone figures out the Zippy/Keyfit thing for sure, let me know...I haven't tried it yet but I think I saw some threads in the archives saying it worked?

eta: back to add links to threads:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290716
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=202053
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=201659
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290655&page=3

Hope that helps.