PDA

View Full Version : Crazy to get another train table? Or a different type of table?

KrisM
12-17-2009, 02:51 PM
We have a Kidkraft train table. DS1 loved it for a long while. It's currently in his room with marble runs on it - great because the marbles can't roll off! He's getting more marble run stuff for Christmas, so I know he'll be using it there still.

But, DS2 is getting into trains and loves playing at the tables in stores/library. I'd really like to have a layout on a table for him.

So, should I get another train table and figure out where to put it? Or, figure out something else for the marbles in DS2's room?

DS2 is getting more Legos for Christmas and I think a table to build them on would be excellent, too.

Maybe there is a better table for DS2 now that he's a bit older? Something a little taller maybe? Ideas?

brittone2
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't own one, but the Nilo can have longer legs put on it I think?

vonfirmath
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
The Nilo table has longer legs you can put on as the child gets taller, yes.

It also has Lego/Duplo building plates you can buy to turn the surface into a Lego building platform. And other accessories.

KrisM
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks to you both. I didn't know that. I think that might be a good answer - upgrade DS1 to one he can sit at and work on Legos and still stand at for marble runs.

Does this seem like a good deal?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bab/1508616997.html

mom2224
12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
$150 is a great price. In Charlotte, most tables with 2 bins are listed for $175-$225. I paid $175.

vonfirmath
12-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Looks like a great deal to me. Check out the new prices.

KrisM
12-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Do you think it's reasonable to get a 5.5 year old a table like this? I'm second guessing it now. Or, do we just have him go with no table for a year or 2 until DS2 is past the train table point? If I remember, DS1 was close to 3 when he really prefered playing on the floor to make bigger layouts.

brittone2
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM
We have a Kidkraft train table, and I wish we had a 2nd table. I don't have the space in our current house but would consider it down the road if we end up w/ a dedicated playroom. DD is newly 3 and likes trains, and is getting a dollhouse for Christmas. DS is almost 6 and would still use a table for Rokenbok, lego (he builds on the floor right now but it would be handy), marble maze, etc.

KrisM
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
We have a Kidkraft train table, and I wish we had a 2nd table. I don't have the space in our current house but would consider it down the road if we end up w/ a dedicated playroom. DD is newly 3 and likes trains, and is getting a dollhouse for Christmas. DS is almost 6 and would still use a table for Rokenbok, lego (he builds on the floor right now but it would be handy), marble maze, etc.

Great, thanks.

We have DD's dollhouse on a coffee table :).

We do have a playroom, but it's for the over 3 crowd still. I'm thinking the train table will go in our kitchen until he's a bit older or until we change the playroom to be safe for him (or until he figures out how to open the door :) ).

I think we'll get it. It just sounds crazy having 2 tables!

bluestar2
12-18-2009, 01:39 PM
It cost about $60 online a couple of years ago.

KrisM
12-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Here's another idea... when DC lost interest in trains and we moved to a smaller place and didn't have space for it, I disassembled it and use the top alone. When it's not in use, I store it against the wall or in the closet. Since DC move through things pretty quickly, I like that from day to day, I can set it up with the marble run, a big puzzle, legos, playsets, blocks, whatever. It cost about $60 online a couple of years ago. Heck, you can even use a piece of wood. We also use the coffee table and table and chairs set as well. hth

We actually have an extra top. I found DS1 didn't like it much as it was almost too big to use while on the ground. I wonder if he'd be good with it now though. hmm. Maybe I'll get it out tomorrow.