PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Claki
12-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I know that spitting up is normal, but at times it seems excessive. DS is breastfed, 6.5 weeks old, and I have over supply and over active let down. After he eats I will burp him and hold him up right for about 20 minutes (though that is tough on me at night.) He will be fast asleep and I will lay him down on his back to sleep in his pack and play. Then within 10-15 minutes he wakes up and starts making groaning, slurping, throat clearing and choking noises. Sometimes he spits up a lot, sometimes he never spits up but just continues making these noises. I will pick him up and try and burp him more, but that rarely helps. As soon as I put him back down it starts again. This can go on for an hour or it will escalate into crying.

During the day if I hold him while he sleeps this doesn't happen. I've tried putting him down next to me on the couch and reclining him with a pillow and he will still spit up and make these noises, so I don't think reclining him while he sleeps will work. That would be hard to do b/c his pack and play is on wheels.

Is this reflux? Is this normal spit up behavior? He will sometimes spit up two hours after a feeding.

salsah
12-18-2009, 12:48 AM
sounds like both of my reflux babies.

JBaxter
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Believe it or not what helded ds3 was putting him on his tummy after he ate. Firm flat surface like a crib mattress head turned to the side. It helped him tons. My ped told me that tummy time just after eating for some reflux babies really works.

Indianamom2
12-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Sounds like my DS #2. He has reflux that we're thinking is fairly severe (he's 5 months old now). He did exactly the same thing at that age when sleeping.

We have used a crib wedge for many months and that might be something to try, but I don't know if it would fit in a pack and play.

Babies are so hard to figure out!

Claki
12-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I was hoping it wasn't reflux, but glad that others know what I'm talking about. I'm going to try tummy time tonight. We were up all night last night because he kept panting and choking on spit up.

Claki
12-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Well tummy time did not do the trick for us. I'm curious how others handle reflux babies. Do you stay up and listen to them struggle and make sure they don't choke on themselves? Do you pick them up? Let them sleep on you? The last few nights he will lie there for as long as I let him trying to make himself spit up, but he hasn't made himself cry over it. I don't know if I should just roll over and get some sleep or listen to make sure he doesn't choke.

Also, why is this only an issue at night? During the day he sleeps like an angel.

maylips
12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
We don't have what has been diagnosed as a reflux baby because he is between 75-95% in weight, but he is (which is another story altogether). He has been a tummy sleeper since he was your baby's age. I know SIDS is a risk, but to me, hearing him sound like he was choking on his own spit up seemed worse to me at the time. Mine actually does the opposite, though - he spits up more during the day, but will go back to sleep at night after a feeding and do fine. I know that's got to be frustrating for you (and tiring!). If I were you, I'd let him sleep on you if that helps - anything for you to feel at peace of mind and for you both to get some sleep. I can't imagine you'll be able to roll over and pretend like you don't hear him making coughing and choking sounds. At this point, do what you can to get rest and let his digestive system develop.

Melaine
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
We tried a lot of different things....at different times we let them sleep in their carseats or bouncy seats. I tried raising the crib slightly (like the mattress), but wasn't able to pull that off. They slept better upright and I felt much better thinking if (when) they spit up, they wouldn't be choking on it....

LMPC
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Sounds like what my DD did when she was that age. Ped told me it was within the normal limits and told me to elevate her sleeping surfaces....so we put books under the crib legs and the PnP (Just put it up against a wall so that the wheels didn't roll). On the nights that didn't work, she slept some of the night in her bouncy seat or the swing.

I'm sorry you are going thru this. It's a horrible noise to hear your baby make. Babies *are* hard to figure out! Hang in there!

salsah
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
you can try side sleeping. dd1 was always most comfortable on her side (or stomach). we let her nap on her tummy when someone was in the room with her. at night, we put her on her side with rolled up receiving blankets against her stomach and back (to prevent her from rolling over).

missylou
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
my 4 week old is doing the same. my ped also told me to do side sleeping. I swaddle my little one before putting him down for the night, and use the "Sassy" brand of wedge that has the two sides to prevent him from rolling forward or backward. He sleeps in his own room, with monitor turned down low so that I only hear "real" crying, and not all of those scary sounds that you mentioned before. Ped assures me that those sounds are within normal limits, but sleeping on his side is precautionary so that if and when he does spit up, it just runs out the corner of his mouth and onto the "head" portion of the sleeping wedge. Good luck!!!!!!!!

mblackwell
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Both of mine had reflux. Have you asked your doctor about medicine. Mine are on Prevacid. It helps to reduce buring when it comes back up, but will not really stop it from coming up. Proping up the end of Pack and play or wedge under crib mattress has also helped.