PDA

View Full Version : Nativity set for a 4 yo?

DrSally
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
My mom would like to buy a nativity set for DS. The Fisher Price is nice, but was wondering if there are any other options. I think the Playmobile might have pieces that are too small with DD around. Is there anything out there wooden? I suppose I should check Etsy...

new_mommy25
12-17-2009, 09:54 PM
We love our Haba set.

DrSally
12-17-2009, 10:10 PM
We love our Haba set.

That's nice. Very child friendly, but not plastic. My mom can't afford to spend $100 though. I wonder if it goes on sale after Xmas. She was thinking of buying 2 (1 for each set of grandkids) and tuck it away for next year.

Jen841
12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I know you said no F-P, but as my kids play with theirs daily I had to say it is a good thing! They were SO excited for it to come out. At 6 and 4 the two boys are having a blast with it. J is 6 and in catholic school, he gives his brother a mini CCD lesson as they play. I sit back and watch with a smile. The true meaning of the season!

lizzywednesday
12-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I am currently coveting the dollhouse-doll one from Magic Cabin:

http://www.magiccabin.com/product.asp?section_id=2007&search_type=featured&search_value=1012&cur_index=&pcode=775

The core figures are $60 (Holy Family - Mary, Joseph & Baby Jesus) but extras are more $$$ ... it might be something you would add to each year (i.e. - start with Holy Family, then add shepherds, etc.) if you think that would work for your family.

DrSally
12-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I know you said no F-P, but as my kids play with theirs daily I had to say it is a good thing! They were SO excited for it to come out. At 6 and 4 the two boys are having a blast with it. J is 6 and in catholic school, he gives his brother a mini CCD lesson as they play. I sit back and watch with a smile. The true meaning of the season!

Well, I'm not against FP, just looking for other options. Do you know if the FP one ever goes onsale?

DrSally
12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I am currently coveting the dollhouse-doll one from Magic Cabin:

http://www.magiccabin.com/product.asp?section_id=2007&search_type=featured&search_value=1012&cur_index=&pcode=775

The core figures are $60 (Holy Family - Mary, Joseph & Baby Jesus) but extras are more $$$ ... it might be something you would add to each year (i.e. - start with Holy Family, then add shepherds, etc.) if you think that would work for your family.

That's really nice. I think my mom would like to get a whole set, and she doesn't have a lot of disposable income.

jgenie
12-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Well, I'm not against FP, just looking for other options. Do you know if the FP one ever goes onsale?

I bought the FP one earlier this year for $20 from Family Christian Store I think. They were having a sale and Free Shipping. Might keep an eye out for another sale.

misshollygolightly
12-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Another vote here for the F-P one. I, too, have seen it on sale (around Thanksgiving) at Family Christian Bookstores, though they usually only stock a few of them at a time. I also found it at a B&M Walmart last year for about $24.

lizzywednesday
12-19-2009, 12:02 PM
That's really nice. I think my mom would like to get a whole set, and she doesn't have a lot of disposable income.

I totally understand that, which is why I mentioned it was $$$ and suggested adding to it each year. But, it would definitely be a "WOW" gift if it were all together!

Good luck in your search!

newg
12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
We have the fisher price one......it was about $33 from the christian book store.........I also just ordered the little drummer boy set from FP for 9.99 plus FS thanks to this board!

DD loves loves loves it...the six year old next door comes over and loves to play with it too.......

traciann
12-19-2009, 01:53 PM
We have the fisher price one......it was about $33 from the christian book store.........I also just ordered the little drummer boy set from FP for 9.99 plus FS thanks to this board!

DD loves loves loves it...the six year old next door comes over and loves to play with it too.......

We have the the fp one, drummer boy and the add on shephard set. It is played with daily by my 4.5 year old and 1 year old. They really love the music both sets play. I think I will eventually buy the playmobil one, but not until DD4 doesn't show any interest in the fp one. I think it helps that it only comes out at christmas time.

DrSally
12-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I bought the FP one earlier this year for $20 from Family Christian Store I think. They were having a sale and Free Shipping. Might keep an eye out for another sale.

Wow, well I would definitely get it for that price. Online it's about 4 times as much.

BayGirl2
12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
There was another recent thread in the Bargains board about this one: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535213
I got it for $20 from Sensational Beginnings. Both SB and One Step Ahead ($40) seem to be sold out of it, but you could search around after the holidays. Its by Woodland Fantasies.

It's really cute and the size is safe for a toddler. The trees are a little wobbly if its on the floor, but it seems to stay up well on a table. The colors aren't as bright IRL as in the picture, but I like that its more of a rustic look than the HABA one.

bubbaray
12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
We have the Playmobil one and it does have small pieces, but my DD#2 is fine with it. The girls have a lot of fun playing with it.

DrSally
12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Went to my local Christian bookstore today and the FP one was $44 :(

newg
12-20-2009, 03:45 PM
try online at FP...........and somewhere in the bargains section there is a free shipping code you may be able to use..............

DrSally
12-20-2009, 11:59 PM
try online at FP...........and somewhere in the bargains section there is a free shipping code you may be able to use..............

$33 at Fisher Price. Not bad. I think I'll continue to wait and see if I can get it after Xmas.

elephantmeg
12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
our walmart had the FP one for 40. I'm hoping to stalk it post Christmas to see if it clearanced

hillview
12-24-2009, 07:37 PM
We have this one:
http://www.maukilo.com/brands/holztiger-164/small-stable-with-star-and-chimney-2700.html
And add creatures / people to it every year. Love it. Very open ended and durable.
/hillary

DrSally
12-25-2009, 02:02 AM
We have this one:
http://www.maukilo.com/brands/holztiger-164/small-stable-with-star-and-chimney-2700.html
And add creatures / people to it every year. Love it. Very open ended and durable.
/hillary

Very nice! I love the smooth edges and how open ended it is.

daisymommy
12-26-2009, 11:41 AM
We have the one mentioned from One Step Ahead, and it is very nice and sturdy. Bought it somewhere else (a little no-name website I cannot remember at the moment...will have to track down later)--for only $20 and free shipping!

Mermanaid
12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
My Walmart had the FP one on clearance for $19 this morning. I had been stalking it so I was very excited!

MissyAg94
12-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't own this but I think it's really cute.

http://www.yonderstar.com/childrens-wooden-nativity-set-wood-nativity.html