PDA

View Full Version : What is the point?!

OKKiddo
12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I was walking into the church today to go and pay for the silent auction item that I won. On my way in, I held the door for the guy with a baby in a Graco infant carrier (looked like an old snug ride but in black). Automatically, I looked down to see the baby and I noticed that he's nearly falling out of it! I stopped the Dad by saying "Oh No!" and lunging and I sat there trying to get the baby fastened back into the car seat.

It was a tough job to do because, either this car seat was really old and a 3 pointed, or they had removed the chest clip, and the metal teeth that hold onto the back adjusted straps in the very back. One whole strap was so loose, so I looked back there and saw it was missing the metal piece--the whole strap looked like it could come out with just an easy tug.

I pointed these things out to him and mentioned about car seats and how they expire, and since he's military I also pointed out how he can get a free car seat on post every Friday from Army Community Services (especially if they inspected THAT car seat!). He thanked me and said that what he had worked just fine. WTH?! Even with knowing you could get a free seat that would actually protect your child?!

So, what is the point (among those who act and think the same way)? What is the point to even putting your child in a seat like that? Why put on airs that you're doing what you're supposed to do? So frustrating!

smiles33
12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
OMG! That's just mind-boggling...The poor baby is now at risk due to the dad's smug sense of false security!

Joolsplus2
12-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Maybe better than the other baby seen today with no harness, because the mom claimed it was easier to just use the seatbelt (installing the seat baseless with the belt in the belt guides).

jenandahalf
12-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe better than the other baby seen today with no harness, because the mom claimed it was easier to just use the seatbelt (installing the seat baseless with the belt in the belt guides).

I hope they took any advice you gave them. I probably would have called the police about that, I think it might actually be illegal.

OKKiddo
12-19-2009, 02:42 AM
I hope they took any advice you gave them. I probably would have called the police about that, I think it might actually be illegal.

No kidding! What was supposed to hold that baby in the actual seat in an accident? The belt would have held the car seat, but not the baby. I hate how people will try to mask their actions a little bit to make it seem like they're compliant with the laws, but a closer/second look will give them away. If they're aware enough to mask themselves a little, they're aware enough to know the law and the dangers for making it a law. I guess that's what drives me crazy.

Joolsplus2
12-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Fortunately I didn't have to see that... but there's a family that comes to BRU and spends loads and loads and loads of money on everything, but has their baby in a *carrier*....like, those old school, looks like a carseat carrier...with a three point nylon belt. I'm ashamed to admit I've never had the guts to confront them about it (after all, I do only see them in the store, maybe that's how they are using it? Not as a car seat? <praying>).

OKKiddo
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Fortunately I didn't have to see that... but there's a family that comes to BRU and spends loads and loads and loads of money on everything, but has their baby in a *carrier*....like, those old school, looks like a carseat carrier...with a three point nylon belt. I'm ashamed to admit I've never had the guts to confront them about it (after all, I do only see them in the store, maybe that's how they are using it? Not as a car seat? <praying>).

I see that around here too Jools. It makes me really sad when I see people with old/unsafe/expired car seats because they can't afford a new one. Of course, you know that I get mad about those that can afford something that actually works but choose not to buy one. Honestly, we should be required to take a basic car seat 101 class at the hospital before we're allowed to leave with our children. I dream, I know. :)