PDA

View Full Version : Why do all the things we love have to be discontinued?

viba424
12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Why oh why do manufacturers have to discontinue the precious things we love most? I want to make a record. Everything I love disappears! Yet they make such junk in its place! Ill start with a few that I can think of right now:

Planters cheez curds
Planters cheez balls
Jello pudding pops
Ben and Jerrys Kaberry Kaboom (notice how EVERYTHING they sell is chocolate now?)
Breyers tutti frutti ice cream
Mac lipglass in Clarity (this one still hurts)
Terrycloth "Pierre Pig" from manhattan toy company
Deep fried fruit pies from McDonalds
McDLT
Brachs nougat candy (white stuff with jelly beans)

Non-retail yet equally annoying things I love that have been eliminated:

Coconut wonton dessert at my favorite restaurant
Polenta fries at my second favorite restaurant

What about yours?

WatchingThemGrow
12-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Frosted Bran cereal
Select-A-Size paper towels (but they brought them back after a hiatus, thankfully)
Breyers French Chocolate Ice Cream

BabyMine
12-20-2009, 11:20 PM
I thought I was the only one who missed the McDLT.

bubbaray
12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Oreo Winter White cookies.

kristenk
12-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Didn't another company take over pudding pops? I'm almost positive they're still out there.

DH and I know that when we love a restaurant, that's pretty much a kiss of death. I don't know how many restaurants that we've liked have gone away now. It's sad.

cvanbrunt
12-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Planters cheez balls

They stopped making Cheez Balls? That is my all time favorite crap in a can! Man, I might just cry. I'm going to have to find a new processed cheese food product dusted fried fat snack.

kijip
12-20-2009, 11:46 PM
1999, my then favorite cafe discontinued my favorite sandwich, a roasted eggplant with roasted veggies, spinach and a pesto aioli. 10 years later, I still have not gotten over it. I can't drive past that location without thinking about that dang sandwich. I ate that sandwich every chance I got for about 6 years. When I took J there to get one in 1999, it was gone from the menu. Later the cafe morphed into a dinner-y bistro place with the same name and later on closed for good. Serves them right for messing with my sandwich. ;)

DrSally
12-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I had no idea pudding pops and MD fruit pies were d/c. I used to love pudding pops.

DrSally
12-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Oreo Winter White cookies.

Wait, do you mean the ones coated in white chocolate? If so, I saw them at Target today. Or maybe you're referring to something else.

DrSally
12-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Mmm, those polenta fries sound good. I used to love, love the Wendy's chicken caeser pita. It was so satisfying. They d/c it and I was so upset. I guess they said there wasn't enough demand.

bubbaray
12-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Wait, do you mean the ones coated in white chocolate? If so, I saw them at Target today. Or maybe you're referring to something else.

The US ones aren't the same as the Canadian ones. And they have discontinued the Canadian ones -- at least, I've not been able to find them anywhere this year. Boohiss.

ged
12-21-2009, 12:42 AM
I am still missing Carnation Breakfast Bars. They came in yellow boxes, and I loved the chocolate chip one. I sooo wish they brought it back.

MrsMcGwire
12-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I am still missing Carnation Breakfast Bars. They came in yellow boxes, and I loved the chocolate chip one. I sooo wish they brought it back.

I used to eat those in high school! I loved the chocolate peanut butter.

roobee
12-21-2009, 03:00 AM
I loved the Greek Pita from Wendy's. So sad it's gone.

new_mommy25
12-21-2009, 04:42 AM
I think the MCD's fruit pies are regional because the pies in Hawaii are deep fried. I noticed that when I lived in Seattle they were all baked. Such a disappointment, lol!

veronica
12-21-2009, 07:51 AM
My McDonald's has fruite pies. 2 for $1 (do you want me to freeze them and mail them?)

I miss the restaurant Bennigan's-they had fried broccoli & cheese poppers!

I miss Starburst Fruit Twists (they looked like twizzlers but were kind of tangy)

and this is local, but my mall (a whopping 45 minutes away) had the chick fil-A close. I am still so bummed about this.

Melaine
12-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I haven't been able to find Egg Nog milkshakes anywhere for the last two years.

And my favorite perfume, Ambush, was discontinued and is pretty much impossible to find now.

Nestle used to have this yummy Cookies and cream mix that you added to milk....SO good.

Hidden Valley (IIRC) used to make "kid" salad dressings, including Pizza and I'm telling you it was really good.

Burger King used to have 5 cheese sticks for $1 and they were yummy!

ETA: None of that sounds good at all. Maybe that tells me something....

KHF
12-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I miss the restaurant Cooker. They had the most delicious chicken salad croissant I've ever had. Seriously. That sandwich rocked. I scoured the internet for a copycat recipe, but I guess it wasn't a big enough chain to have copycats :-)

Also, the chicken pitas at Kenny Roger's Roasters restaurants. Super delicious. And gone. :(

One more food-related one...there used to be a Mexican restaurant in Lexington, KY (where I grew up) called El Torito. They had fried ice cream made with chocolate chip ice cream. It was amazing.

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Ocean Spray Cran plus Fruit. Raspberry. Totally gone off the shelves since last fall, I love cranberry sauce and eat it all year round and this was my favorite kind. I hate it out of a can.

Reyadawnbringer
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM

I just had a yummy egg nog milkshake from Jack-in-the-Box yesterday.... mmmmmm

MamaMolly
12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Ocean Spray Cran plus Fruit. Raspberry. Totally gone off the shelves since last fall, I love cranberry sauce and eat it all year round and this was my favorite kind. I hate it out of a can.

I accidentally bought this at Big Lots in November. 30 cents a can. DH was horrified when he saw it. Check if you can find it there, and if not send me a PM with your address and when I'm back in the US in late January the Cranberry Sauce fairy just might send you a care package. ;)

DebbieJ
12-21-2009, 11:19 AM

The McD's around here have them.

viba424
12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
My McDonald's has fruite pies. 2 for $1 (do you want me to freeze them and mail them?)

Its the FRIED ones they don't do anymore...now they are baked - healthy, I gues, haha. DH is still devastated about that.

I just remembered another one...KFC chicken littles. I used to get the KFC chicken little combo all the time! They were flat little peppery chicken patties with really soft buns with fries and a drink and it was only like $3. Oh the pain.

Another thing...I dont know why Ben and Jerrys needs to have a flavor graveyard other than to rub it in our faces. You know they never resurrect anything! Man do I miss kabarry kaboom.

KaBerry KABOOM! - Stripes of strawberry and blueberry ice cream with white fudge and crackling candies.

crl
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Starbucks used to have these little cookies called Lemon Knots. Stopped having them about 7 years ago now. . . .

Catherine

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I accidentally bought this at Big Lots in November. 30 cents a can. DH was horrified when he saw it. Check if you can find it there, and if not send me a PM with your address and when I'm back in the US in late January the Cranberry Sauce fairy just might send you a care package. ;)

It doesn't come in a can so I don't think that's it! It's usually in a white tub...if that's it then I'll definitely PM!

I have another but it's not a discontinued item - it's an item from overseas that isn't sold here - KFC Zinger Tower burgers. And KFC's UK gravy product which is vastly different to their US gravy (it has the secret herb/spice blend in it). They also have this stuff called corn salad which is just corn in this awesome dressing.

And when did KFC stop doing fries? I hate their potato wedges!

vonfirmath
12-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Carnation breakfast bars

:(

Melaine
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I just had a yummy egg nog milkshake from Jack-in-the-Box yesterday.... mmmmmm

Argh, we don't have those!!!

Melaine
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
The McD's around here have them.

Really?! I know last year they didn't have them at mine, but I will check again! Thanks.

cono0507
12-21-2009, 02:12 PM

I used to LOVE those! I have yet to find a bar as good. :(

Penny's Pappa
12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Didn't another company take over pudding pops? I'm almost positive they're still out there.

Yup, they still exist. They might be region-restricted, though, I don't know. We have them here in Ohio:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2070/7756702023lg.jpg

Mmmm...pudding pops...:P***********

Penny's Pappa
12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I loved the Greek Pita from Wendy's. So sad it's gone.

Oh those were AWESOME!! Yeah, I was disappointed when they were discontinued.

Kymberley
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=viba424;2571136]

I just remembered another one...KFC chicken littles. I used to get the KFC chicken little combo all the time! They were flat little peppery chicken patties with really soft buns with fries and a drink and it was only like $3. Oh the pain.
[QUOTE]

Chicken Littles were AWESOME. I think I lived on those for a few years. White Castle chicken ring sandwiches are close, but it's not the same!!!

Clearly Canadian water in Strawberry. Don't know if they have it any where else, but I miss this stuff so badly!!!

dotgirl
12-21-2009, 08:19 PM
I miss the "Chicken Caesar Wrap" from Jack-in-the-Box - they discontinued it about 10 years ago and I'm still mad.

I also totally miss the deep fried apple pies from McDonald's - although the Caramel-Apple Empanadas from Taco Bell are a close approximation.

I miss Whatchamacallit candy bars from *before* they had caramel on them, too!

AnnieW625
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
What! They discontinued Cheez balls? Those were our favorite treat on our summer vacations at Grandma's house.

I miss:
Clinique's Almost lipsticks in Ruby Melt, and Almost Cocoa
OPI's Yankee Pankee Plum (the perfect shade of deep purple, that wasn't black! I really should stop complaining it's been gone for 10 yrs! I can't help it!!!!)
Evenflo Triumph 5 car seat (I :heartbeat: the seat we had for DD, and it will expire when #2 is just over 2 and probably not ready for the Frontier so we'll most likely just replace it with something new like a Cocorro so I know it will use from the beginning until at least 3--the EFTA will be too large for rear facing in our Corolla as DH is tall)

I have never had a fried Apple pie from MCDs. In my neck of the woods (life long CA resident) I believe they have always been baked.

willow33
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Revlon EyeGlide in Champagne :( I finally found some online at a discontined beauty supply store and ordered four of them.

And I also LOVE cheese balls!!

jhamman
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I miss Postum !

(yes, I know I'm in the minority on this one...)

clc053103
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I also loved that Wendy's Greek Pita.

Speaking of Greek- a restaurant called Olga's- oh how I loved Olgas! It hink they only had them in PA and MI...

mamicka
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I also loved that Wendy's Greek Pita.

Speaking of Greek- a restaurant called Olga's- oh how I loved Olgas! It hink they only had them in PA and MI...

They still have Olga's in MI!

elektra
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I have never had a fried Apple pie from MCDs. In my neck of the woods (life long CA resident) I believe they have always been baked.

I ate at McDonald's at least once a week growing up and I can tell you that the pies were definitely fried. (Remember how what is not the small cup used to be the medium?)
Loved those "pies".

My beef is with Starbucks for discontinuing those little super-rich hot chocolates they had that were shot sized. Did anyone try those? They were on the menu for like a month a few years ago and they were SOO good. I can't remember what they were called but when I asked why they were gone, they said it was just a test kind of thing. Boooo.

Twoboos
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
OPI's Yankee Pankee Plum (the perfect shade of deep purple, that wasn't black! I really should stop complaining it's been gone for 10 yrs! I can't help it!!!!)

Been looking for a color like this and I just checked ebay - they have some!!

clc053103
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Been looking for a color like this and I just checked ebay - they have some!!

I still have a bottle of Yankee Pankie Plum- and shockingly, it's still good!

I can't believe Olga's still exists in MI!!! sooo jealous! They used to be at 3 malls around me, and they all just disappeared.

jenandahalf
12-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I saw the eggnog shakes at McDs at the O'Hare Oasis here in IL today if anyone is looking for it...

dcmom2b3
12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Aveda discontinued my fave hair conditioner -- deep penetrating revitalizing something or another. It worked fine, but I loooooooved the way it smelled.

When Lancome discontinued my favorite blush (Camille) I just stopped wearing blush at all, nothing else worked. I think that happened almost 20 years ago. (!)

I miss McDs fried pies too. And Starbucks' full fat cranberry orange muffins. The low fat ones just aren't the same.

egoldber
12-23-2009, 02:30 PM

There is still at least one. Every single time we visit the ILs outside Detroit we have to go to Olga's. Every.single.time. I just do NOT get the Olga's love.

dylansnan
12-23-2009, 04:30 PM

They just built a brand new one by us. although I haven't been to Olgas in years- not since I used to hang out the mall... a long time ago :)

blisstwins
12-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Danon lemon yogurt in the old waxed paper cups. What I would give for one.

ged
12-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Regarding fried apple pies, that is the one reason I use to justify all my trips to McD's while overseas...I've thoroughly enjoyed FRIED apple pies in Hong Kong, Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, ummm,not sure if I had them in Paris. I LOVE those things! My friend in Russia also enjoys them.

I also really miss KFC Chicken Littles. I ate way too much fast food while growing up.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
Morningstar (vegetarian) corn dogs...

Roleysmom
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I loved the Planter's Cheeze Balls. Our sorority house mother would wrap up a can in tissue paper for each of us every Christmas. (Why that particular snack I'm not sure, but I always waited in anticipation!)

MommyofAmaya
12-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm glad I read this thread before posting. I too often lament the absence of my beloved Wendy's greek pita. Sooooooo much feta. The fluffy "pita" was so soft. It was the best fast food I ever had the pleasure of eating. I lived on it during law school througout its short lifespan.

I have been cursing the discontinuation of Revlon skinlights face powders (two shades of pressed powder, bronzer and highlighter all together in a handy sized pallete). I bought 10 when it was disconinuted in 2005 and I am on my last one. If anybody has seen a similar product please let me know.

I'm not sure if it is discontinued, but they stopped carrying Prestige eyeliner at Walgreens. I always lose mine, and there isn't an Ulta nearby for emergencies.

viba424
12-28-2009, 12:59 PM
This is kind of a random one, but I was at Trader Joes this weekend and they stopped carrying my crumpets! Those were my favorite. Booo.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm glad I read this thread before posting. I too often lament the absence of my beloved Wendy's greek pita. Sooooooo much feta. The fluffy "pita" was so soft. It was the best fast food I ever had the pleasure of eating. I lived on it during law school througout its short lifespan.

:ROTFLMAO: They had a walk-up window at the Wendy's when I was in Grad school. Many a day, I'd walk up to that window and get my pita--so satisfying. They d/c part way through my grad school career and I was sooo upset!

MMMommy
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Am I wrong, but I thought the more recent KFC apple pies were fried like the old McD ones. Anyone add to this thought? I remember having one and thinking "ah, this is like the old McD apple pie."

http://www.kfc.com/menu/desserts_minis.asp

amandabea
12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Non food item, but I'm sad nonetheless. Reynolds Handi-Vac bags. I have the little hand held suction device and just found out they've discontinued the bags! So sad.

Twoboos
12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Non food item, but I'm sad nonetheless. Reynolds Handi-Vac bags. I have the little hand held suction device and just found out they've discontinued the bags! So sad.

WHAT? I have one too, what the heck are you supposed to do w/just the vac?? Sheesh.

BabyMine
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM

I didn't know they dx the bags. Good thing I have been using the suction device with the ziploc bags. I bought them accidently and tried it and it worked.

DrSally
12-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Oh No! I didn't know they were DC. I wonder if I can find some and stock up.

viba424
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Vienetta ice cream...way gone. Why???

http://www.faziarizvi.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vienetta2.jpg

MMMommy
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
This is kind of a random one, but I was at Trader Joes this weekend and they stopped carrying my crumpets! Those were my favorite. Booo.

I was there a few days ago and TJ's had the original crumpets and the blueberry ones. So hopefully it was just a temporary out of stock situation for your store.

neeleymartin
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM

my heart just skipped a beat!!! I loved these things in college.

MmeSunny
01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
My beef is with Starbucks for discontinuing those little super-rich hot chocolates they had that were shot sized. Did anyone try those? They were on the menu for like a month a few years ago and they were SOO good. I can't remember what they were called but when I asked why they were gone, they said it was just a test kind of thing. Boooo.[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD YES!!!!! Those were amazing. I went to some art exhibit where they gave out free coupons for those. (I know totally random!) I got like 12 coupons and drank one every couple of days for month. I was so hooked.

It was called something like Drinking Chocolate, IIRC.

jenfromnj
01-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Also non-food, but I am so upset that Prescriptives is going out of business--it's the only foundation I've been able to use consistently, and it took forever to find it. I am trying to stock up before they're gone for good.

veronica
01-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Ohhh, I'm so bummed. I used to love the commercial so much that I always wanted one for my birthday. Come to find out they were pretty expensive. so , every year I always joke I want one (remember the big sexy voice chanting "Vienetta" on the commercial???? Now it totally stinks that I'll never have one!!!!!!!!!

neeleymartin
01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
archer farms banana chocolate chip pancake mix, from target. i can find the banana chocolate chip monkey bread, but no pancake mix...sigh.

Cheburashka
01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Nestle Quik banana powder. I used to make chocolate-banana milk all the time when I was little. I found Nestle Quik banana milk at a gas station, but it was such a let down. So gross.

sads
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I loved KFC Chicken Littles too! So random to see that come up :) My family would go to KFC and order about 40 of those at a time. They hated us there.

There was an ice cream brand - Valhalla - that I haven't been able to find for years that I occasionally crave. And I find it bizarre that Cheez Balls are discontinued!!