PDA

View Full Version : ever snoop on dh's holiday gift(s) for you?

tmarie
12-20-2009, 11:26 PM
i have not, but i am on the brink of doing it tonight! kind of sad, but it's actually to prevent myself from feeling disappointed on xmas morning if he didn't get me the one thing i really want (and i'm about 90% sure he didn't!). is this wrong??? :)

tmarie

kristenk
12-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Just assume that he got you the worst possible thing ever. That way, on Christmas Day you'll most likely be pleasantly surprised!

TwinFoxes
12-20-2009, 11:42 PM
No way. I've never snooped, not even as a kid. I love being surprised, and I often inadvertently find out things. I go out of my way to avoid finding out my gifts, and it is amazing how many times I discover what I'm getting. Like my DH just said "MIL is getting you gloves and scarves". I have no idea why he volunteered this info. I didn't ask him, and we weren't even talking about presents.

shawnandangel
12-20-2009, 11:43 PM
No, I've never snooped. I love to be suprised so I would never snoop. I never snooped as a child either.

How many times can I say snooped in one sentence? :)

Think of the worst give DH has ever gotten you and expect worse and you won't be disappointed!

Corie
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
No, I would never snoop! I LOVE surprises. I never snooped as a child
either.

My mom would tell us kids, "I have all your Christmas gifts in the closet
of the guest bedroom. They aren't wrapped yet. If you want to snoop
and ruin your Christmas, be my guest. But I'm not returning anything
and you are stuck with it."

None of us 4 kids ever snooped.

I tell my kids the same thing. They know where I keep all their birthday
and Christmas gifts. They know the gifts are not wrapped. They could
pick at any time. But they don't. I have instilled the love of surprise
in them. And they don't want to ruin it.

tmarie
12-20-2009, 11:57 PM
No, I've never snooped. I love to be suprised so I would never snoop. I never snooped as a child either.

Oh dear, I'm the only one to even consider this, huh? :) I was always like this too....LOVE surprises and never snooped growing up. Last year was the first year I remember feeling a pang of disappointment (dh scaled back due to worries about his job).

Wife_and_mommy
12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
You are not alone. I'm a huge snooper. My kids, so far, would be too. DH is not. I wish I had the self control.:ROTFLMAO:

WitMom
12-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm a sort-of snooper. For example, a package arrived the other day. I opened it part way and stuck my hand in to feel around, but I didn't open it all the way and actually look. So, I have a good idea what it is, but don't know 100%.

catpagmo
12-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Just assume that he got you the worst possible thing ever. That way, on Christmas Day you'll most likely be pleasantly surprised!

:yeahthat: Good advice!

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I think it is worse to know ahead of time if you are expecting to be disappointed b/c then that feeling simmers for a whole week. You don't want negativity hanging around now, imo.

I did snoop long ago. I feel no need to anymore.

Of course, I used to cry on Christmas when disappointed but I no longer do that. :) In my defense, it wasn't crying over gift disappointment really, it was disappointment over some unattainable magical Christmas I was hoping for. You know, one of those perfect days where you feel relaxed, at peace and that all is just comfortable and right. Now that I have stopped putting pressure on myself to have that experience I have been having that experience! Getting gifts is now a bonus of the day. I could just as easily do w/o receiving gifts and just sitting back and giving to others.

I should finally add that dh hasn't gone shopping for me yet so there would be no sense in snooping!!

Beth

Twoboos
12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't snoop on purpose. I send DH a list of things I want/links to buy. He buys and has the boxes shipped TO OUR HOUSE where I am all day. So, I know I am getting the Danskos I want from Zappos, and the sweater from Nordy's. Each year he does it, each year he is mad I "found" my gifts, each year I remind him he is able to have things shipped TO HIS OFFICE. duh.

When I was young my brother & I did some major snooping. My mom finally started wrapping everything and putting it under the tree immediately with a warning - one piece of broken tape, gift went back to the store, and she meant it. Never snooped after that.

MamaMolly
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I have the platinum card for Snooper's Anonamous. And I'm not shy about it and very up front about it. I love, love, love knowing what presents are coming. I absolutely hate surprises (always have) and love the expectation while knowing what is coming.

DH has a lot of fun hiding them from me, and I have a lot of fun searching. He loves to hide them right under my nose, like the year he bought only little things so he could hide them in my stocking. For two weeks I tore the house apart, walking past my presents about every 5 minutes. He still tells that one at parties! One year I convinced myself DH hid my gift in his car. I searched everywhere, even took the spare tire out to search under it. No gift! :)

So don't bother asking my advice...you know what I'd say! ;)

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 10:37 AM
The remote start I had installed in my car last week was my gift so I think it's fair to say I know what I'm getting!

But yes I do snoop - I will see what stores are on our credit card bill, check the order history on some sites etc to see what I might have gotten. I would never normally do anything like that but I am way too impatient to wait.

I had a little shake of the gifts that the inlaws sent us (yet another box of the chocolates I don't like but at least it's not cheap perfume again!), and the next day my husband caught my daughter doing it!

alien_host
12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I've snooped. Not really as a kid but as an adult. I don't go looking for the physical gift, but I've seen evidence (credit card statements) that DH has bought something at XYZ store.

One year the CC company called the house b/c they thought it was a strange sale (I guess he bought two things from a jeweler on two transactions b/c he forgot something and that triggered the call). I felt bad that I knew he was at XYZ store, but I was excited too.

Octobermommy
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
I love it Molly!

I am like that too, I just have to know. I have always been like that. Good thing this year dh hasn't gotten me anything yet so no reason to snoop.

Happy 2B mommy
12-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, for the last few years, I've purchased my gift, so I already know! I don't really care, DH and I have everything that we want/need. This year, I wanted an iPOD. I'm the one with all the coupons, discounts etc, so I'd rather buy it.

wellyes
12-21-2009, 11:25 AM
LOVE surprises.

I have a had time NOT snooping because he buys off my Amazon wishlist, and I have to go to that page to get to HIS wishlist (and other people's). And you can see what is still there & what's gone on your wishlist. I just kind of blur my eyes and try really hard to be oblivious...... the only thing I've figured out is that I'm not getting the top item on my list. Which was Bananagrams, so, I can live without it.

Of course, I used to cry on Christmas when disappointed but I no longer do that. :) In my defense, it wasn't crying over gift disappointment really, it was disappointment over some unattainable magical Christmas I was hoping for.

When DH & I were dating, I spent a Christmas thinking an engagement ring was going to be my gift. That morning, I saw that he got me slippers and a (butt-ugly) purse. Ruined my day completely ---- and it really wasn't his fault. I'm very big on low expectations ever since then.

jgenie
12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
No not a snooper, but I must admit DH went to buy Christmas gifts for DS & I yesterday and he wasn't going to be near the mall. So I'm very curious where he went and what he bought. Hmmm.....

boolady
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Nope. I snooped once as a kid (3rd grade) and still remember everything I got and how I felt Christmas morning knowing exactly what I was getting-- terrible and let down. I will never make that mistake again, even though we don't really exchange much between the two of us.

mommylamb
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
DH keeps wanting to give me hints to try to get me to want to find out, but I'd rather be surprised.

michellerw
12-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I, uh, have been known to look at my Amazon wish list to see what was purchased.

sarahsthreads
12-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Nope. Never snooped, never wanted to, even as a small child. The year I turned 13 I accidentally found the entire family's gifts - we lived in an old farmhouse that had a full bathroom right near the back door. We never used the tub, so my parents put everything in there that year, figuring nobody would bother to look in there because we never used it. I went in to use the bathroom and thought my brother was hiding behind the shower curtain, so I ripped it back and...there was every single present, for my birthday (two weeks before Christmas) and Christmas, all unwrapped. I felt *horrible*.

DH isn't great at picking out the perfect present. Heck, he's awful at it. But I would rather be surprised at a mediocre gift than know for sure what he got me in advance and dwell on it for too long. If I were really, really hoping for something in particular, I'd tell him, multiple times, well in advance, and send him an email with links. After that I'd assume he didn't get it, and then I'd either be right or pleasantly surprised.

Sarah :)

jenandahalf
12-24-2009, 11:56 PM
OK I absolutely was not snooping, I was rearranging the gifts under the tree since we got the last ones out and wrapped, and there is a sneaky bag from Jared hiding in the back!

And he drove me up to the Coach outlet today to pick something out because he was claiming he hadn't had time to get me anything!

elephantmeg
12-25-2009, 08:25 AM
lol while DD was in OR and I was freaking out I tried to get him to tell me what he got me! He wouldn't. I don't think he is even going to tell me today!