PDA

View Full Version : How child-proof is the retract-a-gate?

happymom
12-21-2009, 02:02 AM
This is actually for my parents' house, not for mine. They need a gate for the top of their stairs (one side banister and one side wall). After searching through threads here, I found a lot of recs for the retract-a-gate. It sounds perfect for them because it can be totally out of the way when the grandchildren aren't around.

Here's my question- I have a VERY active and clever 2 year old nephew. He is an incredible climber. Seriously, he must have been a monkey in a previous life :) (Just the other day they found him sitting in the kitchen sink- after looking away for 30 seconds max!) My question is- how sturdy is this gate (mesh doesnt sound too sturdy) and how easy is it for a child to open?

Also, is it sold in any B & M stores, or only on their website?

Thanks!

hillview
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
We have 5 of them :)

At that age it will be hard to find anything that works very well. At best it is a slow them down thing. It isn't that it isn't sturdy but at that point I think you'd have to go with a metal gate.

DS #2 is a climber and at age 2 years 2 months we stopped using them.

Good luck!
/hillary

happymom
12-21-2009, 01:21 PM
We have 5 of them :)

At that age it will be hard to find anything that works very well. At best it is a slow them down thing. It isn't that it isn't sturdy but at that point I think you'd have to go with a metal gate.

DS #2 is a climber and at age 2 years 2 months we stopped using them.

Good luck!
/hillary

Thanks Hillary? Is it easy to open or does the lock actually work?

hillview
12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks Hillary? Is it easy to open or does the lock actually work?

The lock works. My 3.5 year old could not do it. My neighborhood 5 year old can do it. It is easy to open for an adult -- you have to push and twist the top and then unhook. I can do it with one hand (2 steps) -- I wouldn't want to do it one handed ON the stairs -- there are not many gates (any?) that I would want to do carrying a baby/and opening one handed.
/hillary

happymom
12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks so much for the info, Hillary. This sounds like a great option for my parents to have in the house. I wish I could see it in real life but it doesnt seem to be sold in B & M stores. They do have a 30 day return policy though.

pastrygirl
12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I thought I'd read that a retractable gate should never be used at the top of the stairs...?

hillview
12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I thought I'd read that a retractable gate should never be used at the top of the stairs...?

Their site says "
4. Can Retract-A-Gate be used at the top of stairs? If so, can it be mounted to stair spindles or banister poles?
Yes, Retract-A-Gate is certified for use at the top of stairs and can withstand a push out force of 200 pounds. On each side of the opening, the bottom brackets mount at about 3 inches off the floor and the top brackets mount at about 31 inches off the floor. The brackets require a flat surface of 2.5 inches to mount to. If your spindles or banister offers this space then there should be no problem mounting the brackets. If this space is not available or you prefer not to put screws into your posts, then our Banister Adapter Kit (http://www.retract-a-gate.com/prices-buy-retractable-safety-gate.html?link=2) is what you will need. Please see our Users Guide (http://www.retract-a-gate.com/retract-a-gate-pet-child-gate-users-guide.html?link=2) for further details."

So I think it is ok. Any gate at the top of the stairs is a challenge IMO. We have ours back a little which means I can stand above the top stair on the landing and work the gate without being on the stair. This would be a preference regardless of what gate you have IMO and I don't think the Retract-a-gate is any more difficult.

HTH
/hillary

pastrygirl
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Good to know, thanks!

Momof3Labs
12-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Here's another idea: the door to most regular gates can be removed when not in use. You could get a regular gate (hardware-mounted for top of stairs) and they could just remove the gate door and, say, slide it under the bed or in a closet when not in use.

MontrealMum
12-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Our Retract-a-Gate was wonderful at first. We live on the 2nd floor, but our door to the outside is on the 1st floor down a set of steep stairs. We then have another door at the top of those stairs leading into our home. It was our 2nd line of defense when DS learned how to open the top door. Now he can open the Retract-a-Gate :( We just installed a lock high up on that door so he can't get out unsupervised and fall.