PDA

View Full Version : Who in the Northeast has school cancelled on 12/21?

alien_host
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I can't believe DD doesn't have school! The roads are clear, it stopped snowing over 12 hours ago!

It's 3 days before Christmas and I have things to get done without DD around! Wrapping, last minute gift shopping etc. etc.

It's throwing a wrench into my plans! And it's a good thing I checked before heading out today since I never would have thought it would have been cancelled!

Sorry, I guess maybe this should go in the BP, but seriously, I'm curious who doesn't have school today.

ett
12-21-2009, 09:47 AM
School today here. I checked this morning just in case there might be a delay.

Corie
12-21-2009, 09:50 AM
We were called last night. DD has a one-hour delay.

caleymama
12-21-2009, 09:51 AM
School here, but we were on the edge and only got about 3 inches. My parents, only 15 minutes southeast of us, got more like 5-6 inches.

I hear you, though! My DD2 missed M, Tu, W last week b/c she was sick and then yesterday was diagnosed w/ an ear infection. She started abx (secondary infection after all the upper respiratory stuff last week) and is fine and at school today. As much as I want her to stay home and rest when she's sick I had a bit of a panic yesterday thinking she'd be home today!

daisymommy
12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
No school here :( I still have last minute shopping to do as well as Christmas dinner grocery shopping! With 3 kids?!

But I can also understand, because they have NOT done an adequate job clearing the roads here. DH tried to go out for salt yesterday :rolleye0014: after I told him not too, and got stuck many times, had to dig a path from our house to the corner of our street, etc. So I know the buses wouldn't be safe in these conditions.

JBaxter
12-21-2009, 10:17 AM
they called our school off yesterday before lunch. TOTALLY SUCKS. I guess there may be some kids in more rural areas but mine could have gone today. Roads and developments are clear.

Twoboos
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
We have school here, although I was nervously watching the cancellations. We "only" got about 12in though. :)

lil_acorn
12-21-2009, 10:49 AM
No school here and I agree about how stupid it is! They have had plenty of time to clear up the roads.

alien_host
12-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok, so I'm not the only one. I think it's because they haven't had any snow days yet this year and they decided to take one, although it seems even sillier since kids are in school through Wed before the break so everyone still has to go back for two days.

lmintzer
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
"2 Hour Delay," as they call it, here in the Philly 'burbs. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why.

The roads were fine by noon yesterday!

elizabethkott
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
We have school. :(
But that sad face is from the perspective of a teacher with a LOT of cookies still to bake!

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
DC is notorious for closing because of snow/cold. Pres. Obama even made fun of it last winter. Schools in what will be my DDs district are closed thru Wednesday (and I'm assuming they'd be closed anyway on Thursday and Friday for winter break).

What I'm shocked at is Federal workers here have today off! The streets are clear! My husband is (finally) doing his Christmas shopping today, and he's bummed because he knows the malls will be more crowded now because Federal workers have the day off.

jenfromnj
12-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Our district is open today, but I have 5 friends in Monmouth and Ocean counties in NJ and all have no school today.

egoldber
12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
They have already cancelled the whole week here! (They were supposed to go Monday-Wednesday).

The problem here is the subdivisions and the school buses. Many, many subdivisions have not yet been plowed. And our sidewalks are not cleared at ALL, so kids would have to walk in the street and stand in the street to wait for buses, which is completely not safe.

JMS
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
2 hour delay (I'm outside of Philly) which means no school for AM Kindy for DD... it's honestly not that bad b/c DS1 is already on break from preschool, so they can entertain each other :)

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
They have already cancelled the whole week here! (They were supposed to go Monday-Wednesday).

The problem here is the subdivisions and the school buses. Many, many subdivisions have not yet been plowed. And our sidewalks are not cleared at ALL, so kids would have to walk in the street and stand in the street to wait for buses, which is completely not safe.

One day we are going to discover we are next door neighbors! ;)

jellibeans
12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
When I was younger, school was sometimes cancelled because of the wind or because it was too cold for kids to stand at the bus stop. Maybe thats why?

bnme
12-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Eastern Long Island and almost all the schools announced they were closed as of last night. A bunch had a 2-hour delay. We had a record 27 inches!

Although the main roads are pretty good our side roads are still horrible. Maybe plowed a few times but just down the center and I am sure many of them are just being done now. No sanding yet. I don't think they had gotten all of the buses out as of last night so that was a factor as well.

They most likely will have school Tuesday but their break starts Wed. The kids are hoping for school because they don't want to miss out on the holiday party!

alien_host
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
The kids are hoping for school because they don't want to miss out on the holiday party!

THis happened to us last year, DD's preschool was cancelled the day of the holiday party and we didn't resume until after the new year. I think I had to give the teacher gifts after they went back and they didn't reschedule the party so I had a ton of Hoodsie cups in my own freezer!

HIU8
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Public schools are closed here. DD and DS's preschool is open but it opened an hour late. I'm so happy that they got to go today. I have work to do and have to get it done b/c of the shortened week this week. Plus, they had cabin fever.

billysmommy
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
We have school.
Our town almost never cancels school...maybe 1 day/year and that's only if there's a huge snowstorm the night before.

HIU8
12-21-2009, 01:04 PM
they have not cancelled the whole week here yet. I am going to assume that tomorrow will at least be some sort of delay. I live 1 block from an elem school. Nothing has been done to it as of 10 am this morning except the parking lot (no sidewalks etc...).

daphne
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
School is cancelled in my city, but DS had preschool (hooray!)

lowrioh
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
DC is notorious for closing because of snow/cold. Pres. Obama even made fun of it last winter. Schools in what will be my DDs district are closed thru Wednesday (and I'm assuming they'd be closed anyway on Thursday and Friday for winter break).

What I'm shocked at is Federal workers here have today off! The streets are clear! My husband is (finally) doing his Christmas shopping today, and he's bummed because he knows the malls will be more crowded now because Federal workers have the day off.

I was pretty surprised to hear that Feds had off today too but I'm guessing that the DC government might have needed a day without the throngs of federal workers to deal with snow removal etc.

HIU8
12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
I had assumed it was because metro bus and metrorail (above ground services) were closed yesterday and they were not sure if/when they would open today (at least this is what I heard on the news in MD). Since a huge number of federal workers use transit to get to work, they probably just closed b/c of the metro closing yesterday and not knowing the status of their service for today--like I said, I assume this. The feds never ever close around here--I'm sure the massive sidewalk etc... snow removal had a lot to do with it as well though.

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I had assumed it was because metro bus and metrorail (above ground services) were closed yesterday and they were not sure if/when they would open today (at least this is what I heard on the news in MD). Since a huge number of federal workers use transit to get to work, they probably just closed b/c of the metro closing yesterday and not knowing the status of their service for today--like I said, I assume this. The feds never ever close around here--I'm sure the massive sidewalk etc... snow removal had a lot to do with it as well though.

That makes sense. Or like PP said, DC government couldn't handle that many people flooding onto slick streets at once. I bet the workers are thrilled to have a snow day off!

HIU8
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I know I would be. :yay:

michellerw
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
DH is definitely thrilled about the decision to close government offices. He has to commute from Reston to Ft. Belvoir ordinarily and our cluster is still pretty much a nightmare (and he didn't dig either of our cars out yesterday). And now he is hoping for liberal leave tomorrow so he won't have to go to a meeting at the Pentagon tomorrow. :ROTFLMAO:

I, meanwhile, was working from home anyhow this week so it doesn't matter either way.

HIU8
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I know. I work from home and I have to work anyway. My office is closed, but I do contract work, so if I don't work, I don't get paid.....

michellerw
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
One thing I will say about the DC area is that it seems to get worse in terms of the way we, as citizens of the area, respond every year. I think the high volume of cars on the road, combined with the percentage of transplants in the area, really contribute to the problem. Throw in the issue of the general sense of invincibility that a lot of SUV drivers tend to have and I think it makes for a horrible combination.

And then juggling the snow removal budgets of three jurisdictions is always a special delight.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
My SIL works for the Smithsonian and was thrilled by the day off today. She had planned to shop on Sat. but obviously couldn't so this was a perfect make up day.

Beth

Twoboos
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
We have school.
Our town almost never cancels school...maybe 1 day/year and that's only if there's a huge snowstorm the night before.

Lori, based on this I can pretty much guess where you live - when I worked at my old office we would follow your town's school system to decide if the office should close on a snowy day. And it NEVER closed!! :ROTFLMAO:

JBaxter
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
CRAP.... Closed again tomorrow.

dcmom2b3
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
My SIL works for the Smithsonian and was thrilled by the day off today. She had planned to shop on Sat. but obviously couldn't so this was a perfect make up day.

Beth

Sorry, OT but "works for the Smithsonian"?!?! Would she be interested in adopting DD so that I could get her into the Smithsonian's preschool?

I'm only half joking . . .

turtledove
12-21-2009, 09:51 PM

Same for my county.

billysmommy
12-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Lori, based on this I can pretty much guess where you live - when I worked at my old office we would follow your town's school system to decide if the office should close on a snowy day. And it NEVER closed!! :ROTFLMAO:

It's crazy!!! There was one day last winter where DH and I decided not to go to work but Ds1 still went to kindergarten...lol