PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a satelite tv system that is not working due to the storm?

jess_g
12-21-2009, 10:19 AM
We got hit with about 8 inches of snow this weekend and now our Directv satelite tv system is not working. My dh looked at our satelite dish on the roof and said its covered in ice. Of course its up realy high and we cannot actualy reach it (its 3 stories up). Does anyone have any experience with this happening to them? Did the ice melt on its own? Or did you need to call someone and have them fix it? And how long was it out? Although we can live without tv it would be nice to have fixed. I think the ice will melt on its own but dh says that will take weeks. Its going to be in the low 30s all week so the weather might not get above freezing for a while.

Jessica.

bubbaray
12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
We've had this happen. Dh used to get up there on our crazy-high roof and brush it off. Satellite installer that put in the HD system told us to use a toy water gun with hot water. Said you won't knock the dish off kilter that way.

HTH

egoldber
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Yup, it's the ice. It will melt on it's own. Eventually....

khm
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Can you get over the air signals? We had to hook up a coax cable (that doesn't hook up to anything on the other end) in the "antenna" spot on our TV, but after doing that, we get network stuff fine.

We've never had ice outage, just snow. Ours is on the ground though, so we just knock the snow off. ;)

Hopefully the sun shines on it and it melts fast!

DebbieJ
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
If the sun comes out, the ice will melt and hopefully it will slide off.

When we had our dish installed at a previous house, the installer purposely did NOT install it on our roof so we'd be able to reach it in times like these.

Sorry you have no TV! I would go BONKERS without it!