PDA

View Full Version : spin off: What are the school breaks in your area?

bubbaray
12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
The "school/no school due to snow" thread got me thinking. What are the usual school breaks in your area.

We have 2w off at Christmas (last day was December 18, first day back at school is January 4). Usually its 1w off at Spring Break, mid-March, but this year they are trying 2w off to save money. There are pro-D days pretty much monthly. School goes to the end of June (June 25 this year) and always starts back the Tuesday after Labor Day.

They are talking about a "balanced calendar" which I'm not sure I like or dislike. It would be 2w at Christmas (same), 2w at Spring Break in March, adding a 2w break in October (not sure I like that) and another break in May. Summer vacation would be 6w.

ETA: we have a lot of statutory holidays too.

ETA #2: how many instructional days are required? IIRC ours is 192 days

LD92599
12-21-2009, 10:34 AM
We have a few single days in Sept (Jewish Holidays), Election Day and a long weekend in November (NJ Teachers Convention). Christmas Break is 12/24-1/1 or in this case, 12/24 is their first day off and they go back 1/4 due to the weekend. There's a week in Feb and a week in April and then that's about it except for MLK and Good Friday. We start typically the Wed after Labor Day (except this year was a first - the Wed before) and end in mid to end June.

We're in NJ, public school.

elizabethkott
12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
We have the Jewish Holidays off in Sept., Election Day is a Superintendent Conference Day, Thanksgiving, Winter Break (12/24-1/4), MLK Day (1/18), February Break (2/13-2/20), Spring Break (3/27-4/6) and then Memorial Day. Graduation is 6/25 this year.

egoldber
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Because of our location, we tend to follow the federal holidays, except for Veteran's Day.

We start the Tuesday after Labor Day and get Columbus Day, Thanksgiving and the day after (which is NOT a federal holiday, which SUCKS!), MLK, President's Day and Memorial Day. We get a week for Spring Break which sometimes includes the Friday before.

At Christmas/New Year, they generally get Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and then whatever extra time after that until the Monday after New Year's Day. So sometimes Winter Break is almost 2 weeks and sometimes it's only about a week. This year it's pretty short (well until our snow storm...), but last year we had 3 full weekends which was really nice!

We go until about the third week of June and then get out for the summer.

There are also about 6 teach work days throughout the year.

And if it happens to be a Presidential election year, we get Inauguration Day off as well (mainly because it is a federal holiday).

ETA: I think our state requires 180 instructional days. Our district schedules 183 days with 3 snow days built in. At this point if we have any more snow days they will start to take away teacher work days and then holidays and then extend the school year.

kdeunc
12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Our instructional calendar is 180 days. We start August 25 (no earlier due to state law) and typically get out June 9/10. Winter Break is 2 weeks (this year 12/18-1/4), Spring Break is the week after Easter. Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veteran's Day and Martin Luther King Jr. Day are holidays with about 6ish teacher work days during the year and Thanksgiving.

Melanie
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know about days of instruction. Dc go to a private school and they get 2w in winter just before Christmas, 1 w in February, 2w in Spring. Plus a smattering of the usual other holidays off. They start just after labor day, so this year they'll be going a week later since labor day was later. Everyone seems grumpy about this but as a child with a birthday right around then I love that it was later. :) And it's not as though the school year is longer, just later. :shrug

sdjeppa
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Not sure about how many instructional days - but our school district started 8/24, get the standard holidays (labor day, veteran's day, president's day, etc.), 3 days off for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks off for winter break, 2 weeks off for spring break. They get out 6/17. I don't think there are any teacher days, but they get out early 1 day a week, and the parent/teacher conference weeks are always short days.

Jenny
Mommy to Zachary 9/27/03
#2 due 6/11/10!

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
School for us started Sep 7, we had 3 days off for Thansgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas and a week for Spring break. MLK is the only federal holiday they get along with 3 parent conference days. They finish on June 11th, or up to 5 days later depending on how many snow days they take.

Doesn't sound like we get a lot of vacation compared to others.

belovedgandp
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
We start earlier and end earlier than most in the midwest - this was our public school district which is within a week of almost all schools around here - START 8/13, END 5/20

Now, winter break is crazy long - last day was 12/18 and the kids don't go back until 1/7. Depending on when Christmas and New Years fall we've actually had 3 full weeks off which is way too long.

Otherwise, 3 days at Thanksgiving, 2 days for fall and another 2 for spring conferences, Spring Break in March is a week + plus the next Monday, MLK, Presidents, and 2 professional days (1 each time) a week before conferences. They stack the professional days into the really long winter break and extra spring break day.

maestramommy
12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Not sure of actually number of days, but from my recollection our breaks go like this:

There is school through this Wednesday. Classes resume the 4th.

Last week of February is winter break

Last week of April is Spring break.

School ends sometime in mid June and starts after Labor Day.

ETA: oops forgot! Election Day is always off too.

salsah
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
i was about to post asking the same thing. i was surprised when i saw threads indicating that kids should be in school this week. we have always had 2 weeks off for christmas.

our schedule is (and always has been since when i was a kid in school):

first day is thursday of the last week of August
thursday and friday off for thanksgiving
2 weeks off for christmas and new year (monday thru the friday of the second week).
one week in february (winter/ski break)
one week in april (spring break)
last day is thursday of the second week of june

plus many single day vacations for things like labor day, presidents day, columbus day, MLK day, memorial day, and teacher in service days.

essnce629
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Conner has THREE WEEKS off for Christmas break! Last day was Friday December 18th and he doesn't go back till January 11th!

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
We have the Jewish Holidays off in Sept., Election Day is a Superintendent Conference Day, Thanksgiving, Winter Break (12/24-1/4), MLK Day (1/18), February Break (2/13-2/20), Spring Break (3/27-4/6) and then Memorial Day. Graduation is 6/25 this year.

Minus the Feb. break and election day, same schedule.

eta- they have 192 days of instruction at ds1's charter school.

Beth