PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Gifts, love it or hate it?

alien_host
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I normally enjoy wrapping gifts, but not at Christmas time, it's just too hectic. And all those ODD shaped toys! Gah!

ETA: And DH is a fanstastic gift wrapper, seriously it looks professional but I'm afraid to leave everything for him to do since we are running out of time!

kransden
12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
DH and I used gift bags until dd was born. Now that's she's 7, I think we'll go back to gift bags and just wrap hers.

wellyes
12-21-2009, 12:35 PM
I love wrapping gifts! But I'm no good at it, everything is saggy and sad-looking. Oh well, it's mostly for family right?

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I love it, especially the challenge of an odd-shaped item. My parents used to have me wrap my siblings gifts for them on Christmas Eve!

I've always thought I should get a job doing it.

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm the obligatory "other". I love wrapping up to a point. But now I'm running out of time, and it's looking more chore like. It's hard to find time now with the twins.

boolady
12-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I love it. Nothing expensive...just taking my time and making nice ribbon bows. Of course, like everyone else, I'm usually too rushed to fully enjoy it, but I do like doing it more than lots of the other preparatory things.

BabyMine
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I love wrapping. I try and make mine look like the professionals. Of course they never will but I love trying.

HIU8
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I am a wrapping idiot. I simply cannot wrap things. They end up looking extremely BAD. I have never been able to do it and have been "taught" many times. If I have to, I use a gift bad and tissue paper. That I can do. Any wrapping is done by DH.

carolinamama
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I have always enjoyed wrapping in past years but this year everything just feels so crazy. I can't wait to have everything done and just enjoy Christmas day. I haven't wrapped much at all this year when I normally wrap as I go. Thursday night is going to be full!

Melaine
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I voted other, because at this point it is just weighing on my shoulders as another thing to do on the long list. Normally, however, I get it done early in the season and totally enjoy it. This year things have been so hectic that I'm not looking forward to it as much as usual. Need to do it tonight!!!

hillview
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Other. I like to do it for a while. After a while, I get sick of it.
/hillary

ellies mom
12-21-2009, 02:53 PM
When I have the time, energy and proper supplies, I love wrapping presents. When I don't, then it is just another thing that has to be done.

BayGirl2
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I remember sitting around watching my Mom wrapping gifts before our Christmas party as a child, so now I feel like I need to have one session of gifts and paper strewn on the floor to make it the holidays. We now keep our wrapping paper and supplies very organized and have space to spread out, so that helps.

Last night I tried using the new Scotch tape wrist thing and the Scotch gift wrap cutter. That made it so easy! Not trying to be a commercial, but for a few bucks those are worth investing in just to make the process smoother.

So far I have everything wrapped and under the tree for Xmas. Still need to work on presents for our NY's family visit, but I have 1.5 weeks to get to that.

sarahsthreads
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I like it. I don't do anything too fancy with ribbons, although I might stick a bow on, but I like the actual wrapping paper bit. My favorite is when I can get the paper to line up, or to almost line up in a funny way (we have a few packages that have six-legged reindeer on them this year because of the way the boxes and the paper worked out). I'm odd like that, though. :)

It's a whole lot less fun with a small child helping, and I'm sure we've used ten times more tape this year than was strictly necessary, but she loves helping so I suck it up and smile and let her help.

Sarah :)

Raidra
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't mind the actual wrapping, but I don't adore it. But I *love* getting time to wrap (when I can find someone to watch the kids, or if they're asleep), and I love the finished product, so it's a chore I look forward to because I enjoy the effect.

I wrap boxes, but anything that's shaped oddly goes into a gift bag - which I tie with a ribbon so the kids can't open it.

Moneypenny
12-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I hate the wrapping, but can tolerate doing the ribbons/bows. I actually turned over the wrapping to DH years ago and will never willingly take it back on!

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I like it fine. Do I look forward to doing it? Maybe at first. :) But, I tire of it. So, I voted other.

Beth

Puddy73
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I love wrapping gifts! But I'm no good at it, everything is saggy and sad-looking. Oh well, it's mostly for family right?

That's me. I use an embarrassing amount of tape and they usually look like DD wrapped them. I think gift bags are wonderful!

love_a_latte
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I am another other. If I can simply go into the bedroom at a reasonable hour, get all the wrapping supplies out and arranged and sit in peace to wrap the gifts I find it to be a very zen experience. However, these days it is either done late at night when I would prefer to be in bed, or done with DD 'helping' me.

I suppose I could go and do some now, as both kids are napping, but then when would I get my BBB fix?

DrSally
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
I like to do it when I have time that's uninterrupted with DC at my feet. I don't like to do 30 gifts at once. That gets old. I had DH help me wrap and he wasn't having much fun, but told him not to complain b/c I did ALL the shopping.

daisymommy
12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Would you believe I find it to be a tedious bore? Shopping for the gifts I love. But you all can wrap my gifts any day!

Reyadawnbringer
12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I LOVE wrapping gifts. And not just for the holidays, but for any gift giving celebration. I have taken it to an art. I get made fun of because all my wrapping paper matches (or gift bags and tissue paper). The ribbons match the paper, the gift tags match the whole scheme and for Christmas our cards have often had similar styles/color schemes. I take great pride in my gift wrapping abilities.

I just wrapped a few of DH's gifts last night and they look AWESOME. I will have to post a pic when I get home :p

jgenie
12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I love wrapping gifts. I keep saying I'm going to add ribbons and bows to my Christmas packages, but as of yet it hasn't happened. :)

LexyLou
12-22-2009, 12:50 AM
There are few things in life I despise more than wrapping presents.

hellokitty
12-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Before kids I LOOOOVED wrapping gifts. However, in the past few yrs, it has been such a PITA, I've loathed it, b/c we've been so busy, we are up past midnight wrapping gifts the day before and just not in the mood. This yr, DH and I made an effort to get it done early, we did it last night. It was not too bad. We were both in a good mood, all 3 kids were tucked in after a day of activity, we spent about an hr and a half wrapping gifts, chatting and listening to Christmas music. It was really nice. I never thought I'd come full circle and say that I enjoy it again, BUT it was kind of fun for DH and I to do it together in a non-hurried manner, kwim? We were talking about how much each kid would like x gift, etc. too, which was fun.

brittone2
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
When I can go at a leisurely pace with a nice hot beverage nearby, Christmas tunes on, the tree lights on, etc. I enjoy it.

Having to wrap a whole pile on Christmas eve or in a rush to get packages out in the mail before shipping deadlines, etc. is *not* fun though.

Many years I shop early but don't get to wrap until the last minute. This year it worked out so that several of our big gifts for the kids aren't getting wrapped. I was able to shop early and wrap a bunch of things that did need wrapped a little at a time, so this year it has been fun. I am hoping for a more relaxing Christmas Eve this year with some quiet time with DH...hoping to have everything wrapped in advance. I think I'm caught up with 95% of the wrapping.

turtledove
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM
I love it for the first 15 presents or so, then I am done. If I'm not too rushed, I love to decorate them with fancy ribbon/ bows, they look great under the tree. If I have to spend hours doing it, then not so much.

lizzywednesday
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I enjoy wrapping gifts for the most part, but this year I'm pregnant, so maneuvering around my living room floor is getting harder!!!

egoldber
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
I am all about the gift bag. We have gift bags that we use again and again and again. I used the same 2 gift bags for the girls for all 8 nights of Hanukkah. After the first night Amy knew "her" bag LOL!!! :ROTFLMAO:

It's also better for the environment and I save a TON on wrapping paper. :)

elephantmeg
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I like to wrap, I just wish I had done it before ending up in the hospital. Now what do I do? Not one thing is wrapped. And most of it is creatively stashed or not yet bought. Oops! May it be a lesson to me not to plan on shopping the tues before Christmas!