PDA

View Full Version : ISO seamless women's wool or cashmere socks

sansdieu
12-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know who makes women's socks that are either wool or cashmere or a synthetic Thorlo-type blend but that have no seams anywhere around the toes? They cannot be too thick either (not like hiking socks, more like dress socks), and I don't want them to be tube-socks -- I actually like those that have an articulated heel; it's the seams on my toes that I can no longer tolerate. I had a few pairs of Merino Wool Columbia socks that had barely perceptible seams, but I've worn through those, and I can't find them anywhere else.

lizzywednesday
12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Try SmartWool brand; I have some running socks by SmartWool courtesy of my mother. She may have ordered them on Road Runner Sports, but I'm not sure.

I know I found some by Wigwam in Dick's a few years ago, but I'd be hard-pressed to find them again!

As for cashmere ... I have some cashmere argyles that I bought at elegance in NY's Penn Station, but I'll be darned if I know what brand they are! Maybe they are Calvin Klein?

hillview
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I second smart wool. There is a visual seam but it doesn't rub. I do have the thicker socks but they make thinner ones. They are $$ but they rock.
/hillary

sansdieu
12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
It's hard to explain, but it's no so much the seam over the toes that bothers me but the part where the seam ends (on the pinky toe). I have some smartwool socks, but they are a hit or miss; I can wear them with some shoes, but not others (although I only have the thicker kind; maybe the thinner ones are better). I got some thin wool wigwams, but the seam in those does bother me a great deal.

lizzywednesday
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
It's hard to explain, but it's no so much the seam over the toes that bothers me but the part where the seam ends (on the pinky toe). I have some smartwool socks, but they are a hit or miss; I can wear them with some shoes, but not others (although I only have the thicker kind; maybe the thinner ones are better). I got some thin wool wigwams, but the seam in those does bother me a great deal.

Look for liner weight socks, too. Start at running stores, like Road Runner Sports, to get those. Most running socks are seamless because seam chafing is really evil on a runner's toe!

You might be better served by silk than wool to get the right weight. You will get the warmth & the wicking like you would with wool without the bulk.

I have friends who swear by injini socks, but I don't know if they come in regular socks rather than the toe-socks.

nupe
12-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I have a pair of thin merino wool sock (liners?) by Fox River in dark grey, from my local outdoors store. The seam across the toe is extemely flat. You can see the Fox River socks at foxsox.com. I think mine are like the "striper" from this search for women's merino wool socks.

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search.aspx?type=sockfinder&height=L0003&weight=&padding=&content=I0006&temperature=&activity=&feature=&size=&audience=U0002&stylenumber=

sansdieu
12-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Look for liner weight socks, too. Start at running stores, like Road Runner Sports, to get those. Most running socks are seamless because seam chafing is really evil on a runner's toe!

You might be better served by silk than wool to get the right weight. You will get the warmth & the wicking like you would with wool without the bulk.

I have friends who swear by injini socks, but I don't know if they come in regular socks rather than the toe-socks.

Hmmm... Cool idea. Actually, I just bought injini socks as a gift for my brother, but haven't picked them up yet; I'll check liner socks at REI, maybe they'll have silk ones.

I have a pair of thin merino wool sock (liners?) by Fox River in dark grey, from my local outdoors store. The seam across the toe is extemely flat. You can see the Fox River socks at foxsox.com. I think mine are like the "striper" from this search for women's merino wool socks.

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search.aspx?type=sockfinder&height=L0003&weight=&padding=&content=I0006&temperature=&activity=&feature=&size=&audience=U0002&stylenumber=

Thanks; I'll look for those as well.