PDA

View Full Version : Are you on Facebook?

Corie
12-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm being worn down by family and friends to join Facebook. I'm still
on the fence.

Are you on Facebook?

ellies mom
12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Yup-

I use it to keep up with my adult friends locally and in California, catch up with my childhood friends in Vermont, my family where ever they may be and commiserate with my fellow nursing students.

Plus I'm kind of fond of my farm.

momof2girls
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Nope...I've seen too many people addicted to it...besides, I see no need to reconnect with people I am mo longer friends with as there must have been a reason we are no longer friends!

EllasMum
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
I love Facebook. I have become much closer with my large extended family because of it!

WatchingThemGrow
12-21-2009, 03:29 PM
DH is. I'm not. Sometimes I'll log into his acct to see what's up w/folks. He has a rule about only being friends w/females who are related to him, so I get to see what all my relatives are up to anyway! It kinda creeps me out when I'll see a friend's husband "friending" another woman. A few too many snafus could be had there. Besides, I wouldn't be learning quite as much about baby and kid stuff if my attention were diverted from here.

sarahsthreads
12-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, but I don't know why. :)

I hardly ever do anything on it, and I'm only friends with a very small handful of people. I pretty much ignore any friend request I get, which probably hurts peoples' feelings, but I feel like it's hard enough to spend enough quality time with my current IRL friends, I don't want to reconnect with people I barely remember from high school!

I do like the chat feature, though, because my friends and I hardly ever have time to talk on the phone unless we want to totally ignore our children, but after they go to bed we can chat online. That's pretty much all I use it for.

Sarah :)

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 03:45 PM
I have a facebook page but I'm very selective about who I am friends with on there. No relatives (exception my sister who I only met for the first time this fall), def no in-laws, co-workers are case by case and only old school friends if they were actually friends and we just fell out of touch rather than falling out.

I've lived in 3 countries and went to quite a few schools so this is a great way to keep in touch with people who are all so far away. I have my privacy settings ramped up to friends only, mostly because my sister has our mom as a friend and I don't want her in my business. I also had an issue with my last boss when he saw my page via a friend started making comments about it behind my back.

My husband has a lot of former co-workers who are female on there, but if I trust him to go to Paris and Rome with them on business I trust him to be on Facebook with them!

Pennylane
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I am and it has been a great way to keep in touch with old friends. I don't really get into all the games and stuff like that though.

Ann

lilycat88
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes. I went to a boarding school so most all of my high school friends are spread all over the world. It's a great way to keep in touch between reunions. My husband's family is 8+ hours away from us and it's helped us keep in touch with them.

billysmommy
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes :)

A lot of friends from hs and college are spread across the country or are in the armed forces and I have quite a few relatives in Ireland so its a wonderful way to keep in touch with everyone and share pics of everyone's families.
And of course my farm :)

maestramommy
12-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes, I am. And I really am enjoying keeping in touch with far away friends and family. I don't however, play any of the games.

Moneypenny
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I am not and have no plans to be. I already know how to be in touch with the people I want to be in touch with. I do not need another demand on my time.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I finally caved a few months back b/c I was tired of logging on through dh's page. He caved a few months prior and at first he was friends with a lot of my friends. But, then he started adding all sorts of people I didn't know. I decided if I wanted to see what my friends were doing I needed to do my own. If he hadn't joined I might bot have. But, the temptation was too great. I didn't think I would like it but I do I don't have many friends and plan to keep it that way.

eta- I don't play any games, take any quizzes or use any of their apps. I read status updates and look at pictures.

Beth

BabyMine
12-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I do but I don't use it.

I did it for a little bit. I had it as a family page so I could post pics for relatives that didn't live close.

arivecchi
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I am and it has been a great way to keep in touch with old friends. I don't really get into all the games and stuff like that though.

:yeahthat:

Puddy73
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I finally caved and joined earlier this year. We have family and friends all over the country and it really helps us to stay in touch. I like seeing all the photos, too. I don't play any games except Farmville with my nieces and nephews.

daisymommy
12-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I am. It has been a wonderful way to reconnect with old friends from the past, as well as staying in touch with current friends and family--all on one page. In many ways, it's a time saver for me.

DH is totally addicted to it (kind like I am here ;)). Which is funny since I introduced him to it.

We have a rule between us though--no friending past boyfriends/girlfriends.

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I've used FB since right after they opened it up to non-students. I like it, but don't do any games (except Farmville :)) and have never taken those idiotic quizzes. I check in every day or two, unless there's something going on that want to keep track of.

But here's the deal, join it. If you don't like it delete your account. That's why I've never understood why people make a big deal out of it. It's not the mob, you're not in it for life! :).

infomama
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I was a member for about two weeks. I just didn't have the time to devote to yet another online endeavor so I canceled my membership. I don't miss it.

jse107
12-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I thought I would resist forever, but I gave in last spring. I actually really like it--I don't feel obsessed with it, but I do love the witty status updates many of my friends post. Plus, it was kind of like the high school reunion you want to have--a quick ten minute update on classmates you haven't seen in years.

DH makes fun of me for being on it, but I'm glad I reluctantly joined.

Nooknookmom
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm on but the novelty has worn off.

Especially when my DH took over my facebook page. I only go on a few times a month to check in w/ my sister & good friends that live back home.

I don't have time to answer all those weird quizzes and stuff that I keep getting either. I barely have time to type this, lol.

It is nice to see pics that everyone put up (except for that terrible prom picture of me that someone tagged-thanks!).

Melbel
12-21-2009, 05:26 PM

:yeahthat: I am thrilled to have found a few friends that I lost due to several moves. In addition to certain apps, I hide any "friends" who are annoying or who are over zealous with posting. I love seeing the pictures.

Corie
12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
It's not the mob, you're not in it for life! :).

I know! Why am I so freaked out? It's not like Jimmy 3-Fingers is going
to come after me if I quit. :)

mommylamb
12-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I resisted for a long time. Now I'm not sure why. I really like Facebook. I keep in much better touch with people, even the people I kept in touch with before. Sometimes it would seem like months would go by and I hadn't talked to someone I cared about, so you'd call or email, but there was nothing super exciting to say. With facebook that changes because you keep up on a more consistant basis. I think it's good for my friendships.

I also don't play the games (except for this obscure geography game that I don't think many people play. I really like that one.) I love to see people's pictures. I went to grad school out of the country, so it's nice to have some connection with friends that I may never see in person again, but I still like.

DH doesn't do it. But, honestly, if he never saw anyone other than DS and me for the rest of his life, he'd be fine with that.

willow33
12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I held off for a long time, but finally caved and I really do enjoy it. It's mindless entertainment for me...reading all the updates. I don't do the quizzes/games though...just not interested.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't have time to answer all those weird quizzes and stuff that I keep getting either. I barely have time to type this, lol.

I have 2 people hidden currently b/c I was not interested in reading the numerous quiz results they post. I also made it so it wouldn't show me people's updates on the games they play. I honestly could care less that you found a pig!

Beth

ZeeBaby
12-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I am on FB. Mostly to be in touch with friends i haven't seen in a long time and to keep updated on people. With two under two it is tough to be on the phone all the time.

lchang25000
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM

:yeahthat:I love to look at everyone's updated pics of their families.

belovedgandp
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I resisted for a while, but have enjoyed it this past year. It's about my attention span - a quick check-in every day or so to read statuses and look at pictures. Make a comment or two and move on. I can have an e-mail or personal phone call sit around for weeks waiting for there to be time to be uninterrupted when I contact back.

AnnieW625
12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
yes I have been on Facebook since way before it was big. My sister (who was in college at the time) begged me to join as soon as it was opened up to non college students, that was in April, 2007. I like to play Mafia Wars on it, check up on friends/family, and occasionally will post a photo or two.

Ceepa
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Personally I think it's a little weird to try and stay in touch with everyone you ever met. I don't know. IMO, there are many stagnating, growth-inhibiting aspects of Facebook. Not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Twoboos
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I am on facebook, but cannot stand all the quizzes, and games, and Mob thingies. UGH, leave me alone!! I do not want a drink or a farm animal or a sorority house or a heart!!! (Yes I'm talking to you, my cousin-in-law.)

cvanbrunt
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Personally I think it's a little weird to try and stay in touch with everyone you ever met. I don't know. IMO, there are many stagnating, growth-inhibiting aspects of Facebook. Not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Did you see this article in the NYT?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/technology/internet/21facebook.html?_r=1&ref=education

caleymama
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I am. It has been a wonderful way to reconnect with old friends from the past, as well as staying in touch with current friends and family--all on one page. In many ways, it's a time saver for me.

I thought I would resist forever, but I gave in last spring. I actually really like it--I don't feel obsessed with it, but I do love the witty status updates many of my friends post. Plus, it was kind of like the high school reunion you want to have--a quick ten minute update on classmates you haven't seen in years.

I resisted for a long time. Now I'm not sure why. I really like Facebook. I keep in much better touch with people, even the people I kept in touch with before. Sometimes it would seem like months would go by and I hadn't talked to someone I cared about, so you'd call or email, but there was nothing super exciting to say. With facebook that changes because you keep up on a more consistant basis. I think it's good for my friendships.

Yes to all of the above. I'm a bit of an introvert even though I don't mean to be and I end up being terrible about being in touch with people, especially over email (I'm a pen and paper kind of girl). I'm the person who doesn't email you back for months and months b/c I keep waiting for just the right time to write just the right email. I'm in much better touch with so many friends via FB.

I have 2 people hidden currently b/c I was not interested in reading the numerous quiz results they post. I also made it so it wouldn't show me people's updates on the games they play. I honestly could care less that you found a pig!

Yeah, no games or other stuff for me and I will hide game/quiz updates or certain people.

Twoboos
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Did you see this article in the NYT?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/technology/internet/21facebook.html?_r=1&ref=education

OK, reading this article, it described me on BBB... I think I need an intervention!

lizzywednesday
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes, I am on Facebook, but my privacy settings are pretty high due to two ex-boyfriends who stalked me and a couple of ex-friends with whom I would prefer not to waste my time.

Otherwise, it's the only way I can keep in touch with my cousins in PA and FL.

jenandahalf
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't stay in touch with every single person I ever met, in fact almost all of my fb friends are people I see or speak to regularly anyway. It's just nice to have a way to share stuff with all my different groups of friends instead of having to send separate emails or photo invites etc out.

I blocked all of the quiz and game updates from my page so I don't get
bothered with them.

turtledove
12-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes, it is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family.

g-mama
12-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't stay in touch with every single person I ever met, in fact almost all of my fb friends are people I see or speak to regularly anyway. It's just nice to have a way to share stuff with all my different groups of friends instead of having to send separate emails or photo invites etc out.

:yeahthat:

Right now, when I am in the midst of a health crisis with my ds, it strikes me how Facebook has improved my ability to stay in touch and communicate with family and friends. I've gotten TONS of e-mails inquiring as to the status of my ds. I could not possibly answer them all, but I can post an update on FB and not only can all my friends can keep up to date, but I can check in and read all their supportive messages. It's been really valuable to me.

My dh and my MIL commented on how many responses I've been getting when I write about my ds and honestly, it's b/c FB has brought the people whom I care to be in touch with closer to me, and vice versa. With kids, as you all know, telephone conversations can be impossible and it's just so much easier than e-mail to be able to send someone a quick snippet.

This may be an unusual example, but even in the day-to-day, I can post things about my life, funny observations, my kids, etc. and it's as if my friends and I have a cyber-conversation about topics that interest us. Not everyone responds, it's usually the same 25-30 people.

TwinFoxes
12-21-2009, 09:51 PM

I have more self control than a teenager. Maybe that's why I don't feel the pressure they do to constantly update. According to my status, a big storm is about to hit DC. :)

I think if FB isn't your thing don't join. But if you do join you can use it as little or as much as you like.

I think I will have officially become obsessed with FB if my status update ever includes something I've posted here! :)

kijip
12-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, I am. Here are the pros for me:

-I can stay somewhat connected to a number of acquaintances and old friends. In my case, my old friends are distant by distance. I have only a couple of friends in my life that I am "no longer friends" with. But plenty that now live in NY, NM, Japan, Kansas, CA etc. Within a day of signing up for facebook, I was emailing one of my closest friends from high school because she "found" me. She went to school in Vermont and owns a business in CA now so it was time and distance that meant we were out of touch, nothing else.

-Way more interaction with my relatives (almost all live out of state- my parents relocated us away from their families when I was a child and we built lives here, far from them). I now know how many kids my cousins have and have made plans to visit some of them, something I would not have gotten around to without Facebook.

-My professional school cohort has a group there. This is actually why I decided to join at all. It was actually not presented to me as a choice. I "had" to join for the class.

-I work in non-profit fundraising and I update my organization's page. We have generated several thousand dollars in donations since Friday because I posted that we have a match for gifts through 12/31 on Facebook. We don't route them to the "cause" on facebook, but link them to our DonateNow page on our website. While that is a small percentage of the $120K I have raised since 11/1 and the $160K that we will raise by 1/1/10, it is mostly new, younger donors so it is bringing us money we might not otherwise get. It's a net positive for us. It also generates in-kind donations for our gear distributions to homeless and people showing up at rallies, events etc.

Other than that, let's just say I am not becoming anyone's Yoville neighbor or sending swag. Life is too short to waste time on Facebook.

kijip
12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I have more self control than a teenager. Maybe that's why I don't feel the pressure they do to constantly update. According to my status, a big storm is about to hit DC. :)

I think if FB isn't your thing don't join. But if you do join you can use it as little or as much as you like.

Yeah, my last status update was around Thanksgiving, excepting some charity announcements. I spend maybe 15-25 minutes there a day, 1/2 of that work related...pm-ing people who comment on our charity page, adding updates about what my work is up to, linking to donation options etc.

arivecchi
12-21-2009, 11:07 PM

I think if FB isn't your thing don't join. But if you do join you can use it as little or as much as you like. Exactly, not everyone has to join. Just because I am on FB does not mean I have little control or that I am friends with everyone from my past that is on FB. You can select your friends and how much time you spend there. Ok, off my soapbox.

LarsMal
12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Yep, but I only have about 50 friends. I have my security settings very tight and like it that way!

I use it to stay in touch with family and close friends. I "talk" to my brothers a lot more now than I did before joining. I definitely feel more connected to certain people.

Clarity
12-22-2009, 12:47 AM
I am, and I love it. I'm not as addicted to FB as I am the BBB but I do check in there every day. I don't do the quizzes, games, polls, etc. and I'm not a friend collector either.

What I love is connecting with my friends who are far flung. I moved after my freshman year of high school and via fb I have rediscovered my former classmates. It's been nice. I also have better contact with various members of my family and know more about them than before FB.

Happy 2B mommy
12-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Yes, I have pretty high privacy settings, so people cannot find me. I'm only connected with people I want to be connected with. I don't get into all the games but I LOVE the chat feature.

army_mom
12-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Yep...I love my facebook!

A large majority of my high school class is now catching back up via facebook. Hopefully we can do it in person at the 15 year reunion coming up! :bighand:

I use it to keep in touch with family and friends as we move a lot. And while deployed, it's how MIL updates me and DH with pictures and videos of DD. I don't do all the quizzes and games and find those annoying (maybe because I don't have time to get into them???).

While I enjoy facebook now, I can see it getting a little out of control now that almost everything has a facebook page. I keep my privacy settings tight as many businesses and employers will look up prospects on these sites!

deborah_r
12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
Yes, I am on Facebook and I play some of the games. DS1 and I have been maintaining a fishtank in Fishville, which is fun. We just check in on it once a day or so to see if the fish are hungry, sell fish, buy fish, clean tank.

klwa
12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
I joined to keep track of my two oldest nieces (20 & 17). The oldest is away in college and the youngest lives with her dad, so I only see her a few times a year. But, it's become a fun way to keep up with old friends from high school, etc.

MissyAg94
12-22-2009, 12:20 PM
No. I am already in touch with the people I care to be in touch with. But more importantly, my husband's job makes FB a really bad idea.

elephantmeg
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
yes and love the way I can keep in contact with friends from places I used to live. And with DD in the hospital I can just post updates and don't have to call people. I hate to talk on the phone but it's nice to hear that people are praying for us, wishing us well and how DS is doing!

baymom
12-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes. I love being able to keep in touch with friends that I still care for, but not necessarily have the time to pick up the phone and talk to on a regular basis. It's been a great way to reconnect with old classmates, cousins I don't see too often, even friends in town that I see all the time, ect. I have never taken a quiz or played any games through FB--just don't have the desire or the time. My goal for 2010 is to spend LESS time on FB...we'll see... :p

MoJo
12-23-2009, 05:55 AM
Yes, I am. And I really am enjoying keeping in touch with far away friends and family. I don't however, play any of the games.

Me, too. I've reconnected with many very good friends that I had lost touch with when they married and had kids before I did and I lived in another state. And thanks to Facebook, I got to see many of them again for the first time in a decade at the first annual reunion for many of my college friends.

I'm friends with people of both sexes, but DH can see everything I do on FB, including private messages. I'm also friends with family and in-laws.

I've thanked the person who encouraged me to join (someone in my childbirth class) more than once.

MoJo
12-23-2009, 06:02 AM
a quick check-in every day or so to read statuses and look at pictures. Make a comment or two and move on. I can have an e-mail or personal phone call sit around for weeks waiting for there to be time to be uninterrupted when I contact back.

That's me, too!

Besides, thanks to Facebook I now know I'm NOT the only one from my college class just now having kids, and I love seeing the new little ones!