PDA

View Full Version : What are you clearing out of your house or putting away?

WatchingThemGrow
12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
We've been discussing all the things we're bringing INTO our homes, but with only so much space, something has to go! What are you getting rid of?

I sold DD's Ryan's Room It's 2 Cute Dollhouse :( and have some other things I'm prepping for our consignment sale in Jan. Items for that are: bouncy seat, tummy time mat, DD's clothes, anything for 6mos and under. I have nursing stuff, a pump, and maternity clothes I need to find a home for.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
We just did a general, massive purge a few weeks ago. We got rid of any junky toys that had accumulated. We also got rid of any toy that just didn't get much play. And got rid of all those things I had been trying to get rid of for years but that ds would pull out of the giveaway box. :) Nothing big except some baby stuff, which we gave away to the IL's church.

Beth

babybunny
12-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Anythng and everthing. Used gift closet as much as possible for Christmas presents and toys for tots. Went through DS toy room and we are giving away all unused toys - like the Smartcycle and clickstart keyboard. I gave away a lot of his new or like new shoes to www.solesforsouls.com (you can drop them off at a local shoe store enlisted to help out). Also any new baby stuff is going to charity. Coats to the coat drive. Baby gear to my brother with a newborn..... Almost all of the hand me downs from my sister-in-law are going to my sister and completely bypassing my son. I have room to store it, but honestly, the clutter is killing me. I have come to realize that my DS who is now 5 is fussier with what he wears than any other child I have ever met. And he is happy with only wearing one or two things all the time.....

If I can find it a home, it is going out of the house.

We had 5 rooms painted. Of these five, three had become nearly storage rooms. So it was out of control at my house. I have resisted all Amazon lightning deals, gold box deals etc. (Now I just pester family members to take advantage of them).

I have a new year's resolution not to pre-buy anything. Just got burned on this with my niece. I shopped this past spring/summer for all her 12 -18 month size spring/summer clothes for a mid May birthday. Only to find out that she fits in them now. (Does a 8 month old slow down in growth??? Can she be really be 30lbs+ at 12 months?)

Reyadawnbringer
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a new year's resolution not to pre-buy anything. Just got burned on this with my niece. I shopped this past spring/summer for all her 12 -18 month size spring/summer clothes for a mid May birthday. Only to find out that she fits in them now. (Does a 8 month old slow down in growth??? Can she be really be 30lbs+ at 12 months?)

DS is 13 mo. and wears size 18 mo. He is only 23 lbs, but the 12 mo. clothes don't fit him length wise. I have a major beef with children's clothes manufacturers though because 18 mo. is slightly too big, but 12 mo. is waaaay too small. And not every item comes in size 12-18 mo. range.

babybunny
12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
My niece is WIDE and not that tall. Maybe she will grow "up" and get thinner?

My DS is long waisted so shirts appear to be too short on him, especially if they shrink any in length. Carters shirts seemed longer in length sometimes. Children's Place pants never fit him because they seemed to big in the waist.

I think you have to find the clothing company "fits" your kid. Some people like the "fit" of Gymboree clothes or babyGap or Carters.

Corie
12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I LOVE to clean up, organize and purge. It totally gives me an adrenaline rush.
Weird, I know!

I really should be the organizer person on the TLC show, "Clean Sweep".

All my friends want me to clean up and organize their house. :)

purpleeyes
12-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Weird, I know!

:yeahthat:!!

I always do a purge before xmas/birthdays, etc. We got rid of the Ryans Room firehouse and accessories, a bunch of books, baby toys, extra LP (how many maggies do you need, anyhow?) extra matchbox cars, etc.

I keep an eye on the toys that DS and DD really love, and the ones they don't play with as much. I try to pull out the less played with toys and see how interested they are. When it goes for a while without being played with, it goes to Goodwill.

I also purged a bunch of my clothes-some things I just won't fit in again and someone else can use them!!

I've recently signed up with my local freecycle group. I have boxes of house/baby stuff down stairs that I want to get rid of before the summer...I am planning ahead for a move!
I already have a list of toys that won't make it...

WatchingThemGrow
12-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Weird, I know!

Any plans to bring your show, south, Corie? I could totally use you here!!!

Just got a call from the mattress inspection place - our Sleep to Live mattress is developing body ditches - they are coming tomorrow morning. He said I need to have the bed stripped and room for him to take the mattress off the bed. YIKES!! Ok, Marathon(boxed, living next to DH's nightstand) gets installed tonight, PISA (sitting on MA) goes into the attic, ALL the Christmas toys plus bouncy seats and maternity stuff is ALL being stored around the sides of our bed. HELP!!!

babybunny
12-21-2009, 05:53 PM
watchingthemGrow -- I just sent you a private message on your mattress issue.

sidmand
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I literally just posted over 30 toys on Freecycle (in batches thank goodness because I wouldn't have been able to keep up otherwise!).

We're doing a massive purge/clean up in the next few weeks. I even had a dumpster delivered today. Anything I can't Freecycle is going to be thrown out and I only hope that I don't replace it!

We have way too much *stuff.* And I got rid of all those toys and it doesn't look all that much different so obviously (some were small, but I got rid of a stroller/walker, the LeapFrog table, the Incrediblock...and I think the Laugh and Learn Home may be on its way out too).

jgenie
12-21-2009, 10:39 PM
There is a local church that has a huge tag sale every year. The great thing is you can leave donations year round on the steps of their parish hall. I can pull right up to the steps and unload without having to get DS out of his seat. It works great!! I keep a trash bag outside the door to the garage and add things as I find them. Just dropped off our old comforter set and matching sheet sets. I plan to purge toys and books after my mom comes to visit for Christmas. She can enjoy the toys she has sent for DS while she's here and then I can get rid of the stuff he doesn't use regularly.

hellokitty
12-21-2009, 11:33 PM
After Christmas, I will probably do another toy purge. However, I have been on a baby stuff purge for the past few months. DS3 is the last baby, so any of his baby stuff that gets outgrown, automatically gets given away to anyone I know who has a younger DS. I also have some summer stuff that I plan to drop off at the consignment store to see if they will give me anything for it. I'm at the point where I just want it out of my house though, so if I know someone having a summer baby boy, I'll probably just give all of the clothes to them. DH REALLY needs to de-clutter his crap. I feel like I am the only one who gets rid of my crap and the kid's crap and he never gets rid of his stuff. It's so irritating. We also need to donate some old Christmas trees, those are space hogs. Nothing wrong with them, they are just the older trees that you have to string up with lights. We have a pre-lit one now.

shawnandangel
12-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Funny this thread came up. We are in the process of cleaning out our attic so we are about to get rid of a lot! Lamps, side tables, old clothes, camping gear we don't use, dog crates, and A LOT of documents! 10+ years worth. We are on box 8 of I don't know how many. It will be great when it's all cleared out though because we need to make room for some of DD's stuff that we plan to reuse for future babies!

We are putting away: Jumperoo, SnugRide, baby swing, and a lot of baby clothes!

KrisM
12-22-2009, 07:46 AM
We are getting rid of all the baby and young toddler stuff. Some is making me sad - the Learning Home is in the basement, the Incrediblock is going to the mom2mom sale with me, etc. We've had those for 5 years now and I'll miss them. But, DS2 has so many other things to choose from and those just don't get the play time any more.

We also put away a lot of games and puzzles that DS1 is too old for, DD has no interest in, and DS2 isn't ready for yet.

DD doesn't do much with her dollhouse, but it's just going in her room, since I think the interest might come back again. It just doesn't need to be on the main floor.

kransden
12-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I just went through my closet and got rid of clothes I haven't worn in 2 years. Old blankets, curtains etc. are going to go to a refugee resettlement program. Now if I could just organize my craft room!

brittone2
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM
We usually purge every year in November or so in anticipation of the holidays. DD has an early Dec. bday and DS's is in mid February, so getting rid of things in November works well for us. We also do things like rotate more toys up into the attic than we usually do to make some extra room.

We may be moving in a few months so after Christmas I'd like to do some major purging again. Baby #3 is a boy so I have reorganized clothes, etc. and the girl stuff is all separated out. Now I need to go through some of what is currently in DD's closet and purge that (figure out what will still fit in spring/summer vs. what is truly outgrown). DH would LOVE to get rid of all of the girl clothes before we move I'm sure (as would I). I need to figure out how much effort I want to put into reselling/consigning, etc. vs. just donating though.

lizzywednesday
12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
We're in the process of purging my closet of items I need to get rid of, including 2 black satin formal dresses (one of which I am hoping my sister can use for our brother's wedding next month ... it would look cute on her if it fits!) and a slew of freebie t-shirts from various charity walk events I've done over the last couple of years.

I don't want to face the heap of crap we never sorted through after we moved in last year, though.

bluestar2
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Yes.......

ThreeofUs
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm going through the house like a banshee after Christmas and clearing out everything I can.

A lot of it's going to go to craigslist (all the baby stuff, pump, etc.) but I can see a few bags of donations, too.

AnnieW625
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Right now we are just trying to get rid of a full size bed that I bought before DH and I were married. It's been used for less than 2 yrs. and it's the most comfy bed ever. My co worker is thinking of buying it.

We also have a bunch of our clothes to get rid of. We either take them directly to Goodwill or the Jr. League I belong to has a rummage sale so we'll take the stuff there if the sale is happening.

We don't know if we are having a boy or a girl (although DD is adament it's a girl, and we kind of think she is right) so I can't start going through DD's clothes. If we have a boy most of DD's Hanna's, Gymborees, or better quality Gap, etc. clothes are going on ebay or being given to friends.

WTG--I am going to send you a PM.

firsttimemama
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
I have been giving away toys, kid clothes, etc to people that need them (people I hear about through my moms group, etc)
I actually have stuff sitting on my front porch right at this moment for someone to come pick up, part of which will probably become Christmas gifts for her child
I am slowly but surely decluttering "the junk room"

brittone2
12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Dropped off 3 large bags of DD's stuff at Goodwill this afternoon. Small victories :wink2: