PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE* Does YOUR doctor's office call just to give lab results...

randomkid
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I had to go to the post office to mail Christmas cards and my doctor's office is right across the street, so I just stopped in. My Vitamin D is low! Really low. I thought with living in FL, I'd be fine, but I'm realizing that I am outside far less since having DD than I used to be. I used to do a lot of yard/gardening work, but now I just don't have time. My other results were fine, so something was wrong, but something very fixable. Thanks for the reassurance. Now, I have to start another thread with questions about Vitamin D deficiency!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...even if nothing is wrong? I had an annual physical a week or so ago and they did routine lab work. I was home when the nurse called, but not near the phone. She was leaving a message and I told my Mom to pick up - she was here helping with gift wrapping - but she took too long. I called right back, but of course, the voicemail picked up. I left a message, but they haven't called back yet.

When I was at the MD's office, I asked how I would find out the results and was pretty much told that they don't really call unless there is a problem. So, now I'm worried and freaking out a little. What could they find on routine labwork that would warrant a call? Or, are they possibly just calling to tell me everything is fine. What does your doctor's office do for routine lab work?

I guess I should add that lately I've just had this sense of doom, don't know why, but just feel like something is wrong with me that I don't know about. DD also had a dream that I told her I was sick and that I was going to die. A 4yo shouldn't be having dreams like that and it just freaks me out a little bit more.

Waiting anxiously for a return call :38:

clc053103
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
My OB/GYN's secretary tracks me down to give me the "all's fine" results- if she leaves a message she says to call her back. Every time I think something's wrong- she just wants to make sure you know your results were received and all is well. Think positive!

wellyes
12-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, mine call with "no worries" results.
Good luck!

alexsmommy
12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes they will. It depends on the office. Ped calls. OB will send an "all's well" form letter.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Yes. My midwives' office is the best about it but the other practices are ok too.

Beth

Moneypenny
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
My doc's office strives to call with all results, but their motto is, "If you haven't heard in 10 days, give us a call just to be sure".

Any time I've had bad news from a test result, the doctor is the one who has called me, not the nurse.

BabyMine
12-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Most of the offices call. If not I call them. If it is important they would have called my cell or tried me again.

brittone2
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
[quote=randomkid;2571530]I had to go to the post office to mail Christmas cards and my doctor's office is right across the street, so I just stopped in. My Vitamin D is low! Really low. I thought with living in FL, I'd be fine, but I'm realizing that I am outside far less since having DD than I used to be. I used to do a lot of yard/gardening work, but now I just don't have time. My other results were fine, so something was wrong, but something very fixable. Thanks for the reassurance. Now, I have to start another thread with questions about Vitamin D deficiency!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad it was just the D.

FWIW, I've been supplementing with 2000-2400iu of D3 for a loooong time and never had my D tested (although I wanted to). My midwives now test routinely (thankfully!). My levels were on the lowish side when I had them tested at the end of August...like 31 I think. And that was coming off of summer in sunny NC (not FL, but we do get quite a bit of sun!). I also eat a diet that is relatively high in natural sources of D (pastured eggs, etc). They were fine w/ me bumping up to a higher dose. I'm going to ask for a retest soon. Even w/ a decent amount of supplementation, I was still on the low side.