PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the 20 minute naps lately?!

daisymommy
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Can someone please refresh my memory? Is this normal? That's one of the things bad about having children 3 years apart, you forget all this stuff.

Andrew used to be a champion sleeper. He'd fall asleep quickly and easily, then STAY asleep for several hours, a few times a day.

Now, he rubs his eyes, yawns, fusses like he's tired. So I follow his cues, take him to a dark room, nurse him and rock him. I lay him down sleepy but still slightly awake. Then 20 minutes later he's awake again. Can't get him to fall back to sleep. This continues all. day. long. It's driving me insane! He does sleep very well at night, but I can't get anything done during the day anymore!

I realize it could be teething, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain. Just doesn't want to sleep.

Maybe I need to organize his sleep better during the day. Could it be that I am trying to put him down too many times, so he's really not tired enough for a good long stretch?

pastrygirl
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
That's how it is here, too. My older son also took 30-minute naps (on the dot -- we called him our egg timer!), but he wasn't cranky afterward. This baby is CRANKY from all the short naps! I don't know how to get him to sleep longer. Everything I tried with my older son didn't work, so I gave up. He eventually started taking 90-minute naps when he was 9 months old. I'm hoping this baby does, too.

wencit
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I was JUST talking to my mom about the same thing with DS2 (5 months old today)! I put him down for a nap, and he woke up 30 minutes later. No matter what I did, I couldn't get him to go down again. Now it's an hour later, and he's cranky as all get out. I even checked his gums for any possible teeth coming up, but I don't see anything there. These 30-minute naps all day long are driving me crazy, too. DS2 sleeps fairly well for the first part of the night (after 1AM, it's hit-or-miss as to whether he'll sleep well for the rest of the night), and I was telling DH the other day that maybe he sleeps well at night because he's a terrible napper? Also, at night we co-sleep with DS2, but during the day, we put him down in his crib, so maybe that's the difference?

Just wanted to commiserate with you.

catpagmo
12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
DS did that, too, when he was younger. Maybe he is going through a growth spurt or something. It's most likely just a phase, and he will be sleeping better soon. Hang in there!