PDA

View Full Version : Help: DS2 keeps throwing up, WWYD?

ThreeofUs
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I need some suggestions, because I don't have many more ideas and I'm starting to get worried.

First, let me say DS2 is hydrated. He's been nursing like crazy and can keep down breast milk and pedialyte.

Here's what's going on and what I've tried:
DH came home from 3 continents of travel and gave us all a nasty bug. DS2, 14 1/2 months
-threw up (2x) Thursday morning, with diarrhea starting Thursday p.m.
-ate rice pasta Friday night and spent Friday night to about 4 am Saturday morning throwing up (5x?) with me, diarrhea continued
-Saturday and Sunday a couple of bouts of throwing up, after solids like a little bread soaked in soy milk and applesauce. He's been nursing hourly, diarrhea gradually lessening to loose b.m.s
-Monday, today, no diarrhea but had some solids (bread, banana) and threw up again. Nursing....

BRAT, BRATTY et al diets are not working. I'm going to try some probiotics on my nipple, but please please help me figure out what else should I be trying.

randomkid
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Seems to me the solids are making him throw up. I'd hold all solids and do liquids only for a couple of days and see what happens. If he keeps liquids down, then I'd try a really simple solid and wait to see how he does with it. Sounds like his tummy just needs a rest.

hillview
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't know but at this point I might call ped to just see what this mavrick bug might be.

I'd say if he is hydrated that is the key.

P&PT!
/hillary

EllasMum
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Seems to me the solids are making him throw up. I'd hold all solids and do liquids only for a couple of days and see what happens. If he keeps liquids down, then I'd try a really simple solid and wait to see how he does with it. Sounds like his tummy just needs a rest.

:yeahthat:

codex57
12-21-2009, 09:11 PM
And I wouldn't worry all that much. DS likes to throw up. Like exorcist type puking. Annoying to clean it, but it doesn't seem to affect his health much.

DrSally
12-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh no! Well, it's good that he's hydrated. Maybe try the Pp's suggestions about sticking with liquids for awhile and seeing if that stops the vomitting? The probiotics are a good idea too. DS and DD are able to take a little on a baby spoon with a little water on it too, and then immediately take a drink of water.

egoldber
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
BRAT is for diarrhea, not vomiting. My ped says to withhold food until they can keep down liquids. Then gave small amounts 1-2 tablespoons which is hard when nursing I know! When they can hold that down, then give small amounts of solids.

DrSally
12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
BRAT is for diarrhea, not vomiting. My ped says to withhold food until they can keep down liquids. Then gave small amounts 1-2 tablespoons which is hard when nursing I know! When they can hold that down, then give small amounts of solids.

Good point about the difference between diarrhea and vomiting. I think I remeber reading something similar about giving a Tbs of liquid at a time and seeing if they can keep it down. I don't know how in the world to do that while nursing. DD has a cold right now and is having trouble breathing while nursing (sigh).

ThreeofUs
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I did keep him off food until he could hold liquids down. It was only after 24 hours of being able to hold down liquids (each time, believe it or not) that I gave him food.

He still had diarrhea, and you're right that somehow BRAT came to be synonymous with "the diet for after any intestinal disturbance" for me. Good point.

He did seem to hold down a little scrambled egg. Maybe that's a good starting point - but in a couple of days!

Melbel
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Eliminating dairy has really helped DD2 w/ persistent stomach bugs (she normally tolerates dairy fine).

bubbaray
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM

:yeahthat:

nursing and pedialyte until the puking stops.

GL! and hugs!

ThreeofUs
12-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I guess I'll just wait two days before I feed him solids again; he's just so hungry!

Eliminating dairy has really helped DD2 w/ persistent stomach bugs (she normally tolerates dairy fine).

We're a dairy-allergy family, so no milk here - but thanks anyway!

DrSally
12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Poor guy. At least when they can't eat AND don't have an appetite, it's only mom that worries. It would be really hard to withhold food if a kiddo is hungry. I hope it's going better. Maybe he could even stomach some saltines. I guess you'll have to see how it goes day by day.

elephantmeg
12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
does his poop smell really bad? Any blood in it? If so I would go to the pedi for a stool culture. I would def stick with liquids only for a day or so-breastmilk should be OK but otherwise things without milk. Small amounts at a time. OUr protocol at work is after a puke nothing for 30 min then 1/2 oz every 15 min x2 then increase to an oz etc. Pedialyte, flat soda (stir it to get the bubbles out) or decaf weak sweet tea are what we usually use. Once they tolerate clear liquids then add small amts of solids-plain cherios, crackers, animal crackers

brittone2
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Hoping your little one feels better very soon.

AnnieW625
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Emetrol is amazing too, and it's okay for children. Check Dr. Sears for dosage recommendations. Good luck, and I hope DS feels better soon.

ThreeofUs
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Poor guy. At least when they can't eat AND don't have an appetite, it's only mom that worries. It would be really hard to withhold food if a kiddo is hungry. I hope it's going better. Maybe he could even stomach some saltines. I guess you'll have to see how it goes day by day.

Thanks - exactly. I *hate* withholding food. I keep thinking I'll try a little more scrambled egg, but I just don't know.

At least he's nursing well, *sigh*.

ThreeofUs
12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
does his poop smell really bad? Any blood in it? If so I would go to the pedi for a stool culture. I would def stick with liquids only for a day or so-breastmilk should be OK but otherwise things without milk. Small amounts at a time. OUr protocol at work is after a puke nothing for 30 min then 1/2 oz every 15 min x2 then increase to an oz etc. Pedialyte, flat soda (stir it to get the bubbles out) or decaf weak sweet tea are what we usually use. Once they tolerate clear liquids then add small amts of solids-plain cherios, crackers, animal crackers

While his BM's smell amazing (particularly the one after I've overloaded his system), there is no mucous or blood. They look like curdy breast-fed baby poop.

I think what's driving me crazy is we were doing small pieces of bread (and I make it myself), o's, that sort of thing and he was *still* losing it. Gah.

elephantmeg
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
While his BM's smell amazing (particularly the one after I've overloaded his system), there is no mucous or blood. They look like curdy breast-fed baby poop.

I think what's driving me crazy is we were doing small pieces of bread (and I make it myself), o's, that sort of thing and he was *still* losing it. Gah.

the size doesn't matter it's the presence :) Go back to liquids :)