PDA

View Full Version : Oh geez--school is cancelled for the rest of the week!

daisymommy
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
You heard me, school is now canceled for the rest of week, which means Winter break has officially started, and I have the 3 kiddos together until January 4th :eek:.

But...but...but...I still have 4 gifts to buy, and Christmas dinner to shop for! I think I'm going to be :dizzy: by Christmas day!

jenfromnj
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow--your area must have gotten a lot of snow!!

crl
12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Ouch. We moved from DC to CA last year and I'm a little sad we are missing the snow. I'm crazy, I know.

Catherine

kijip
12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
We have no snow here. Winter Break just runs from early dismissal on 12/18 to 1/4 anyways. We get 2 weeks for winter break. Do you normally just get 1week or 10 days? Interesting!

MamaKath
12-22-2009, 12:46 AM
We started break on Friday afternoon and spent the weekend snowed in. Hang in there and get those kiddos out to enjoy. :)

kozachka
12-22-2009, 02:02 AM
We have no snow here. Winter Break just runs from early dismissal on 12/18 to 1/4 anyways. We get 2 weeks for winter break. Do you normally just get 1week or 10 days? Interesting!

:yeahthat: I was reading your message and thinking "started early". Ours has just kicked in, and it is on time.

deborah_r
12-22-2009, 03:29 AM
DS1 started break midday Friday, goes back Jan. 5th. I'm supposed to be back at work Jan. 4th, thank you so much school district for picking strange dates as always.

Anyway, I just had him today (sent DS2 to daycare, which he loves) and I think I've gone crazy. I cannot tell you how many times I heard "Momma?....." today. You know that "Momma?..." with the pause, then you say "What sweetie" and they ask you if any person has ever lived 1000 years, because Yoda was 900 years old when he died (Did Yoda even die in Star Wars? I have no idea) all the while you are trying to pick the perfect gift for someone and you can't think, and my god it is hot in this store with this jacket, and now it's "Momma, I've gotta go pee pee".

I just want to shop ALONE. ALONE, I say. We need to leave early Wednesday. I am never going to finish, and Christmas cards, I've finally accepted, are not happening this year.

So you have my deepest sympathies doing all that with 3...I've lost my marbles with just my one 6 year old ("Momma, I'm not 6, I'm 6 and a half."...)

daisymommy
12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
:ROTFLMAO: Oh yes, that is so my 7 year old! But with ADHD on top of that. And my 3 year old thinks his energy and game playing is just great fun, so she jumps right in along with him, and the baby who is only taking 20 minute naps and possibly teething...oye...it's going to be fun!
Now I remember why I decided not to homeschool this year!

egoldber
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Do you normally just get 1week or 10 days? Interesting!

The length of our break varies depending on when Christmas falls. Since Christmas is on Friday this year, our local district was scheduled to get Christmas Eve off and then return to school the Monday after New Years. So sometimes we get two full weeks off and sometimes not.

DrSally
12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Since DH is out of town until Tomorrow night and we're having a bunch of people over Thurs, I went out grocery shopping and last min present shopping Sunday night. Even though I'd rather spend that time with family as DH is only home on the weekends :( I couldn't imagine taking both the kids out in the cold and the crazy stores. The parking lot for Supertarget with Marshalls right next door was packed to the gills.

MamaKath
12-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Now I remember why I decided not to homeschool this year!
Lol! I had been surprised that you were not this year when I read your OP. I keep debating with my adhd kiddo, we'll see.

alexsmommy
12-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Another district that always has two weeks off, no matter where Christmas falls.
Yes, it's a loooooooooong stretch, especially here in the winter when I can't say, "Ok, everyone play in the backyard for an hour!"

daisymommy
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
So, I took the 3 kiddos to Wally-mart this morning, and put Hannah and Andrew in the double stroller to contain Hannah so she couldnt feed off of Joshs energry and run around like a wild woman. That went pretty well.

Then we went to the grocery store for Christmas day food, and it was pretty miserable. So, we trudge back to the car, through the snowy parking lot with the shopping cart, in the freezing wind, only to find...I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR!!! :banghead:

AAA always takes forever, and I was just soooo not in the mood to stand in the grocery store with the 3 Muskateers (one of whom was searching for milk through my shirt). So, I called DH and pleaded with him to come rescue me. Thank-God he did. Got off work early, & brought me the spare key. We all went home and I sent everyone--including myself--to bed until dinner time.

Sigh...

g-mama
12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Oh Amy - what a day! That's awful! I went grocery shopping alone today, but OMG, the crowds....the traffic...the madness. Between school being closed, people who couldn't shop last weekend due to the snow, roads being only half-plowed...we may end up ordering Chinese for Christmas dinner. I was just trying to get the basics and hadn't even thought ahead to what I wanted to have for Christmas. I cannot imagine going out again. So sorry about the keys, but hey, it did get your dh to come home from work early, LOL!

DrSally
12-22-2009, 11:24 PM
OMG! Thank goodnes DH was able to come quickly. I went to Costco with the kids today and it wasn't that bad. I only had a few items to pu and not a huge list, so that helped. Also, I'm sure the store was a lot less crowded than last weekend.