PDA

View Full Version : Need $ gift advice

blisstwins
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
My cousin has been with a girl for 3-4 years now. They are in their very early 20s and they recently got an apartment together. My cousin is unemployed and his girlfriend dropped out of college. They have a bad/dysfunctional relationship and this girl is not a very good match for him. But they moved in together...
I usually give my cousins $ for Christmas. They are much younger/less established and can really use it. I give this cousin's sister $100. I would like to give my this cousin $100 as well, but I do not want to give her $100 also. No way. They are not married or close to it so giving to him doesn't cover her (as in $100 joint). Can I give him $100 and her a gift? In the past I gave him what I give his sister and I gave the girlfriend a small gift and $25. Can I still do that now that they are living together? Thanks. Too complicated.

SnuggleBuggles
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
They live together so assume that the $100 is going to both of them. You can write that it's for him on the card but at the end of the day know that it is a joint present...at least that's what I think. I would get her a small gift too, no cash. I don't think cash is appropriate in a situation like this.

Beth

hillview
12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes I think giving cousin $100 and GF a token gift is MORE then nice.
/hillary

blisstwins
12-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks. FWIW, I did not make up this $100 gift thing. All the older people in my family give this to the younger. It's kind of expected.

SnuggleBuggles
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Wow, wish I had that family! I'm the youngest and aside from the $10 my g'ma sent for my birthday no one ever gave money. :)

Beth

blisstwins
12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
But eventually you would be amongst the older and would be stuck coming up with $$$. Also, weddings are killer. I wish we would pick names and call it a day. I am the only one with children and they make out, however, so I guess it is only fair that I continue to gift to adults in this silly way.

TwinFoxes
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes I think giving cousin $100 and GF a token gift is MORE then nice.
/hillary

:yeahthat: Personally I'd just give them $100 and make the card out to both of them. They want to play house, give them a taste of reality (couples gifts!) I think it would be completely ridiculous to give her $100 in addition to the $100 you give your cousin.

DrSally
12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I would think the $100 would be a joint gift. No way I would also give the GF $100.