PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever pawned anything?

ha98ed14
12-22-2009, 01:43 AM
I never have, but am thinking about it. It's two rings. One is small diamonds in a wedding band (not mine). It's missing one diamond. The other is 3 decent size emeralds. Neither has any sentimental value to me, and I need the money to fix the transmission in my car (See BP).

Do pawn shops expect you to pay them back and collect your items? Anyone ever done this without a plan to go and get the item back?

KHF
12-22-2009, 08:34 AM
I've never pawned anything, but my brother used to work at a pretty reputable pawn shop/jewelry store (is that an oxymoron?). We bought our wedding rings there and some other jewelry. I will check with him and see if he has any advice for you.

KHF
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
OK, this is what my brother said:

If she does not want them back, tell her to just sell it to a pawn shop instead of pawning it. A pawn is a collateral loan and you usually get less for an item if you pawn it as compared to selling it.

Hope that helps a little!

Snow mom
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
One of my ex-boyfriends worked at a pawn shop as a kid (really, I'm not kidding.) What he told me was they paid next to nothing for jewelry. The assumption was that everything was fake so you got nothing for stones and just scrap value for the gold. It sounds like the second ring might actually be worth something. I would look around a bit more for a jewelry store that you could sell it to.

KHF
12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
The assumption was that everything was fake so you got nothing for stones and just scrap value for the gold. It sounds like the second ring might actually be worth something. I would look around a bit more for a jewelry store that you could sell it to.

This is why you might try to find a more reputable store that is also a jewelry store. The one my brother worked for had a full-time jeweler on staff, so he was able to determine the actual value of items. He valued several of my things for insurance purposes. If you just go to a regular pawn shop, they probably won't have a jeweler or someone that can actually tell if the stones are genuine.

TwinFoxes
12-22-2009, 09:41 AM
I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but if I were you I'd go to Beverly Hills Pawn Shop. I bet they have a jeweler on staff like PP suggested. It's on the corner of Wilshire and (I think) Robertson. I've never been there, I just think they'll have more experience with jewelry.