PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding elder abuse

SASM
12-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Like my other post, I really cannot get into details (long...complicated...incredibly depressing). Does anyone have any BTDT experience with elder abuse, specifically monetary theft? Someone in my family "borrowed" a LARGE sum of money from my grandmother. To put is lightly, my family is VERY torn. Thank you for any advice...sorry this is not more detailed.

SASM
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Bumping to get this off Page 3.

missym
12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Have you contacted the local Adult Protective Services department to see what resources are available? They might have the name of a lawyer who specializes in elder law.

SASM
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Have you contacted the local Adult Protective Services department to see what resources are available? They might have the name of a lawyer who specializes in elder law.

Thank you! I will relay that to my uncle...not sure if they have checked that out yet.

dcmom2b3
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
AARP might have a legal referral service, too. So sorry your family is going through this.

smiles33
12-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Sadly, we went through this with my husband's grandparents. The grandparents refused to press charges so what my FIL has done now to prevent his brother from zero'ing out their bank account again is to become a co-signer on all their accounts so his brother can't pressure his parents for more money. At the end of the day, it's their money but we don't want this low-life sucking them dry so that they can't afford their expenses.

mmsmom
12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I was at a meeting recently with a speaker from a domestic abuse agency. She said elder abuse can be domestic abuse so they have a lot of resources to deal with it. So also check with your local domestic abuse agency.

MamaMolly
12-22-2009, 10:37 PM
See if there is an Ombudsman in your area for elder care. Before my mom was a social worker for a medical home health care agency (she specialized in geriatric patients) she worked for an ombudsman helping the elderly with this type of thing. I've been following your posts, I'm so, so sorry you have to deal with this. Best of luck, sincerely.

hillview
12-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Contact the local city hall if she lives in a place where there is one. When I was looking for some help for my grandma the city hall elderly svs folks suggested I go after elderly abuse charges against my uncle. I did not but he HAD taken money from her (a lot).
/hillary

HIU8
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I second contacting your local ombudsman. You should have a local Area Agency on Aging that will be able to put you in contact with an ombudsman that can help you.