PDA

View Full Version : Treating Vitamin D Deficiency...BTDT?

randomkid
12-22-2009, 03:28 AM
Found out today that I am Vitamin D deficient. The MD wants to put me on a treatment of 50,000 IU once a week for 12 weeks, then will determine at that time what to do next. I'm guessing there will be some type of maintenance dose. I did a little research and found that this is the recommended treatment, although what I read stated 8 weeks. From Medscape.com (couldn't get the link to work) "The easiest way to correct vitamin D deficiency is to fill up the empty vitamin D tank by giving the patient an oral dose of 50,000 IU of vitamin D once per week for 8 weeks. To maintain vitamin D sufficiency, the patient should receive either 50,000 IU of vitamin D once or twice per month thereafter." and "A multivitamin containing 400 IU of vitamin D is inadequate to satisfy the body's requirement.[32] It is estimated that at least 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day is needed to satisfy the body's requirement."

I am totally clueless in this area, but this seems weird to me. Why not a daily dose or is this just to get me "caught up", then I will be put on a daily dose? I didn't get to talk to the MD, just the nurse who called me with the results and asked for a pharmacy number.

I'd like more info on this as I know there are several of you on here that take supplements. What are the best supplements and what is your knowledge about this?

Thanks

maestramommy
12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
I had my Vit D levels tested and found out I am low (Thanks Sillygirl for the PSAs!!). My GP told me to take 1000 IU a day, then get tested again in 6-8 weeks. I really want to get a copy of the paperwork for my bloodscreen, because I don't know what "low" means.

veronica
12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
I am deficient as well. Normal is between 33 and 100 units. My lowest was about 12. Even with the weekly oral for 12 weeks, I only went to 27. the best way to get vit. D is through the sun, followed by food/vitamin. After a summer of sun (15 minutes per day), I just got to 32 this fall. It stinks. I am on OTC 2000 vit. D now but it will dip in the winter again.

Deficiency stinks. It alters your sleep and mood. I hope yours gets better soon! Hang in there.

KHF
12-22-2009, 08:29 AM
I started taking Vitamin D supplements a few months ago, and giving them to DD as well. (Due to the previously mentioned Sillygirl PSAs.) I take the Rainbow Light Vitamin D 1,000 IU Sunny Gummies in Lemon flavor and DD takes the Rainbow Light Vitamin D 400 IU Sunny Gummies in Orange. They taste great and don't make me feel like I'm taking yet another pill. DD also loves them.

mytwosons
12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
I tested low at the end of summer. I think my level was 27. My Dr. had me take 10,000/day for a month and then reduce to 3,000/day (2,000/day in summer). I haven't retested to see what my level got up to.

stefani
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I was tested 2 years ago and was low (I think it was 18). I am taking Citracal (Calcium + Vit D). Last year I tested at 42. Yesterday I talked with a doctor and she said that above 40 is good, but some experts now talk that around 60s is where it is considered sufficient.

I forgot to get mine tested this year when I went in for my annual exam, so I don't have the level for this year.

brittone2
12-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I responded in the other thread but I have been using 2000-2400IU of D3 (daily) for a loooong time (like 2 years?) but never had my levels tested until the first trimester of this pregnancy (my midwives thankfully routinely test now. I've been wanting to know my level for a long time). I was at 31 or so, but that was *with* ongoing supplementation and it was in late August, coming off a sunny summer in NC. I am not a daily sunscreen wearer, etc. either.

I have bumped up my dose more (with midwives' blessing) and will ask for a recheck soon. I upped my dose, but am obviously getting less sun. I'd like to be in a more optimal range, not just hitting the bottom of normal.

My midwives said (prior to me getting my results) that most women are coming back low and of those who come back in range, most are supplementing and still in the low end of normal range (like me).

I supplement my kids with D as well and have for quite some time. I will make sure my D is at good levels while BFing baby #3. There was some research published on women taking 5000iu per day while BFing and that getting at least *some* D into breastmilk.

kboyle
12-22-2009, 12:50 PM
i tested low 8wks ago and my doc had me do 50,000 IU twice a wk for 8wks. i'm not scheduled to be retested, but am asking him to refil my vit d prescription for the rest of the winter. but only once a wk or whatever he suggests.

jren
12-22-2009, 02:31 PM
My levels were 50 last time they were checked. Still, my doctor has me on 50,000 IU once a month and added 1,000 IU a day. I have a neurological disease, so my numbers need to be higher than most.