PDA

View Full Version : New reports suggests autism rates higher than previously estimated

egoldber
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
This study came out a few days ago. I meant to post about it and kept forgetting. Found it again going through my e-mail....

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5810a1.htm

Here is a summary:

In 2006, on average, approximately 1% or one child in every 110 in the 11 ADDM sites was classified as having an ASD (approximate range: 1:80--1:240 children [males: 1:70; females: 1:315]). The average prevalence of ASDs identified among children aged 8 years increased 57% in 10 sites from the 2002 to the 2006 ADDM surveillance year. Although improved ascertainment accounts for some of the prevalence increases documented in the ADDM sites, a true increase in the risk for children to develop ASD symptoms cannot be ruled out. On average, although delays in identification persisted, ASDs were being diagnosed by community professionals at earlier ages in 2006 than in 2002.

I believe the previous estimate was about 1 in 150 children and 1 in 100 boys. Now it is 1 in 110 children (1 in 70 boys and 1 in 315 girls) will be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder by the age of 8.

jenandahalf
12-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I think this is more about awareness of the whole spectrum increasing. I think it's great that more kids are getting diagnosed because that means they are getting the early treatment they need (my brother never got this) but it's sad that this condition is gaining such a stronghold on our kids.

I was amazed that it was only during genetic counselling with my 2nd pregnancy that fragile x screening was even mentioned to me. Fragile X is the leading known cause of autism and even teaching hospital OBs are not aware that they should be sending patients with family history of autism and mental retardation for screening. Luckily my carrier screening came back negative especially since I'm having a boy, but plenty of others who are at risk are not being tested because their OBs don't know to send them. Worst of all is that the standard form most of them use for the first appointment actually has a mention of Fragile X screening on it and they just whiz by it.

sste
12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
In a six year span, I would assume this is a diagnosis issue - - across 10 or 20 years I would tend to think it was more due to the emerging evidence on advanced paternal and maternal age and autism. The interesting thing is that I assume vaxing went down and delayed vaxing increased during the time period measured.

It is funny with diagnosis, I have heard here and IRL parents feeling that their child was misdiagnosed on the spectrum. When our DS went through EI, we had no less than TEN professionals evaluate him (4 testers from EI, two pedis, 3 therapists, and an independent psychologist that specializes in development and speech delay) and not a single one thought he was remotely on the spectrum, even when we pressed them. So, we had the opposite experience.

MamaKath
12-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I wonder how much those numbers will change as they come out with the new DSM and the major changes that have been made within the ASD dx. I am glad to see this on here, thanks for posting the link Beth.

DrSally
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
It is scary. From what I've been reading, they tend to think it's more than just increased diagnosis/widening of the diagnostic criteria. Advanced maternal/paternal age is one possible factor, like pp said. I haven't done a lot of reading on this, but it would be interesting to know if the incidence is rising globally, or just in the US.