PDA

View Full Version : Help! How to put kid videos on a digital media player?

srhs
12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I feel like a complete idiot that I can't figure this out. Purchased a cheap digital media player to give DS1 in the car. I know he's only 1 and won't really be able to work it and screen time is bad and all that.....but the drive is LONG and hard on a boy who wants to get out and run.

ANYWAY, I can't figure out how to put anything on here except home videos from our camera. HOW do I do this? I tried installing an Amazon app, but that failed.

We're leaving today. Save my sanity! Please!

Momtothree
12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi. I'm assuming you are talking about an MP3 type of digital player. If this is the case, the only way i know to put any type of movies on it is to convert it to fit. Unfortunately all DVD type of movies are too large to just transfer. You actually have to convert it to a file (usually an AVI file). Then you can transfer it onto your player. If you google "convert dvd to mp3 (or similar)" file, you may be able to find a free or trial program to use. Check your player to see what type of file it plays or uses. It may not be mp3 or avi. Good Luck and hope it works for you.

larig
12-22-2009, 06:54 PM
I use handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to rip movies from dvds to video files for my iphone. It's free and open source. they have versions for mac, linux and windows OS. it has many settings for ripping and then you can transfer the files to your media player. It's akin to ripping music from cds for putting on a media player. You'll need a dvd drive in your computer (of course, I'm stating the obvious), put the dvd in, let it start playing, then stop it from playing and quit your computer's dvd player application. Then start handbrake...I won't finish the instructions, because there is decent documentation online.

Handbrake is definitely one of the most popular ripping apps around, because it's free, easy and able to tackle most videos.

what kind of media player is it? You'll need to know what format of videos it will take.

Oh, and ripping a dvd takes much more time that ripping a cd. usually taking 20-40 minutes for a full length movie. It's a pain, but once they're ripped they're ripped and on your harddrive until you delete them, so it's a one time PITA.

I can help more if you need it.