PDA

View Full Version : donating expired carseats?

GracieCat
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I wanted to see what you all thought about donating expired, but never wrecked carseats. We take our son into daycare in his infant carrier since it's cold here, where they have a storage room for all the car seats to be left. There are all sorts in that room, I guess for parents or babysitters to pick up. I noticed that some are quite old, cheap, and dingy looking. It seems to me, that donating my expired BLVD to Goodwill (hypothetically in the future since it's brand new) would be much better than what some people are using. Ours in a garage kept car that is rarely outside for long. I see lots of carseats at yard sales and would assume that a good portion of parents don't know about expirations anyway. I know that there are a lot of people here that can't afford a good seat and are using REALLY old seats anyway. I think my parents used the same carseats for 15 years for all 3 kids and I'm sure this is still happening. My dad asked if I wanted one of those seats if that tells you anything. My (relatively new,) safe seat could really help a family out. Thoughts?

elektra
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the general consensus on this topic is to sell your BLVD cover and use the money to buy a brand new Scenera and donate that.
I get the logic but if it's expired it really shouldn't be used.

Joolsplus2
12-22-2009, 05:41 PM
It's kind of tricky... I mean, in theory it's 'better' than what people are using, but honestly there ARE ways for people to get free or reduced cost seats, and if they happen to be choosing to use ancient, unsafe junk, well, it's their choice.

AnnieW625
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
When I have volunteered at rummage sales in the past for my Junior League we have been adamently told by Goodwill or Salvation Army (whoever is picking up the extras) that they will not take any seat that has expired.

mom2binsd
12-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Goodwill and now most thrift's will NOT even sell car seats of any kind. They just can't take the liability.

Joolsplus2
12-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Though one valuable way to donate a seat is to your local safe kids coalition, if you have one... they need all the seats they can get their hands on for training purposes, and often they don't have the budget to run out and buy all new ones (I had to tease my instructor at my last class for having an expired Turbo and asked her if that was 'the misuse' I was supposed to be looking for? She rolled her eyes at me and told me, duh, Julie, a 34 pound 4 yo should be harnessed...she was all about the 'best practice' and not the 'bare minimums' it was great!)

Sorry for the novel :loveeyes:

GracieCat
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Ok. Thanks for the input. I donated a brand new infant carrier to our church so I can feel good about that. Jools, what's a safe kids coalition? Also, what's the expiration on a Snug Ride 32 and BLVD again? I'm going to put a note on my calendar for Dec 2010 and will just transfer it year to year when I copy my calendar notes over.

Joolsplus2
12-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Those are the folks that do all certification for child passenger safety technicians and should do loads of work in the community. I guess yours is like mine, and you never see them actually doing anything. Sigh. http://usa.safekids.org/