PDA

View Full Version : Need a new car seat-please help!

sansdieu
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
I go crazy just reading posts here because it's all so complicated (all of you car seat safety techs -- you're rocket scientists to me). We have two cars; one is sporty two-seater, so we never put DD in it. The other is 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX. Putting anything RF in it was a royal nightmare (it effectively eliminated access to the front passenger seat), and we'd given up on that by the time she turned one.

Would I be able to install Britax Marathon FF in it, or is it too huge, even when facing forward? (I've checked on carseatdata website and couldn't find that info). Is Marathon even a good option at this point? Or, given that DD is now nearly 27 months, should I go with another option, like Frontier? She's about 36" now, all legs, weighs maybe 26 lbs or so. Currently in a FF Diplomat, but I'm not sure how much longer she can stay in it.

I would like to buy it online; that's where the deals are, so it's essential that it fit.

codex57
12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
http://car-seat.org/image.php?u=5641&type=sigpic&dateline=1211430615

How tall are you? That's a RF Marathon. :D

AnnieW625
12-22-2009, 06:25 PM
A Britax Marathon will/should fit ffing fine in the WRX. We have a Frontier in our 01 Corolla and we've been really happy with it. Honestly I would try DD in a Frontier and see how she looks in it. We bought DD her Frontier at 33 mos, 30lbs, and 38 or so inches. I think that the Frontier would be the most logical choice if it fits your child well.

(so nice to see that someone else had issues with large seats RFing in small cars. Sometimes I feel like I am banging my head up against a wall...no offense of course, but it's just nice to see someone else in our predicament, and why there is still a need for small carseats like the Roundabout 40, Diplomat, and Combi Cocorro).

Joolsplus2
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
LOL, Touche', Codex. (yes, it's true, rearfacing is so much safer, it's worth it to put a seat more upright, and the front passenger can sit quite upright and get more legroom that way, and somehow it all works out... don't worry too much for a 27mo, but do make sure you are top tethering the FF seat :))

OP, why are you buying a new seat? I'd expect the Diplomat to fit her maybe another year or more. And that picture shows another great choice, a Radian, good to know it'll fit :thumbsup:

bubbaray
12-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I was going to suggest a RN.

sansdieu
12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
http://car-seat.org/image.php?u=5641&type=sigpic&dateline=1211430615

How tall are you? That's a RF Marathon. :D

;) Thanks for the pic! Yours is clearly a different model year (although the same color). When the infant seat was installed (Graco Snugride), nobody could ride in the front passenger seat. When we moved to the RF convertible seat, it was somewhat better, but my kneecaps would be right there pressing on the glove compartment (I'm 5'5"), which is not a comfortable feeling, and certainly not for any drive over 10 min. DH wouldn't even try to sit there, so he ended up driving (and I hate it when he drives my car!)

(so nice to see that someone else had issues with large seats RFing in small cars. Sometimes I feel like I am banging my head up against a wall...no offense of course, but it's just nice to see someone else in our predicament, and why there is still a need for small carseats like the Roundabout 40, Diplomat, and Combi Cocorro).

Yes, very frustrating, even more so if you aren't particularly technically-inclined (like me!). I remember regularly breaking down and crying (or more often swearing) in the hospital garage, when I had to snap the baby seat back into the base. Until we got her into the Diplomat, I pretty much didn't take DD anywhere, unless it was absolutely necessary.

OP, why are you buying a new seat? I'd expect the Diplomat to fit her maybe another year or more. And that picture shows another great choice, a Radian, good to know it'll fit :thumbsup:

I'm not familiar with Radian. How do they compare to Britax?
Why am I buying new one? Diplomat, for some reason, seems small and narrow...

Joolsplus2
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
The Radian is the same quality level as a Britax... non twist harness, velcro to keep the straps out of the way, metal frame, energy management system in the tether. But it's low to the seat and the outside is narrow, so it's great for small cars, while also offering much more shoulder room than a Britax. Some models have headwings somewhat like your Diplomat (they don't dial with the harness, just slide them up and down, and rethreading the harness is very easy). www.skjp.com is their main webpage for more info, they even show their crash tests. I've had one since dd2 was born, dd1 used it till age 7 (a year longer than she fit in the Marathon), and dd2 claims it's her absolute favorite seat. It's a bit harder to install than the Diplomat, but once you get the hang of it, it's rock solid in a flash. :)

sansdieu
12-24-2009, 11:24 AM
The Radian is the same quality level as a Britax... non twist harness, velcro to keep the straps out of the way, metal frame, energy management system in the tether. But it's low to the seat and the outside is narrow, so it's great for small cars, while also offering much more shoulder room than a Britax. Some models have headwings somewhat like your Diplomat (they don't dial with the harness, just slide them up and down, and rethreading the harness is very easy). www.skjp.com is their main webpage for more info, they even show their crash tests. I've had one since dd2 was born, dd1 used it till age 7 (a year longer than she fit in the Marathon), and dd2 claims it's her absolute favorite seat. It's a bit harder to install than the Diplomat, but once you get the hang of it, it's rock solid in a flash. :)

Thank you! It sounds exactly like what we need (shoulder room is definitely an issue with the Diplomat). Is there a particular model from Radian you'd recommend?

AnnieW625
12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Not Jools, but from what I gather I have a bunch of friends with them, most of them have the standard Radian 65s. The Radian 65 has no headwings, but is good until 65lbs, and rear faces until 40lbs. The Radian 80 is good until 80lbs, and the XT has the headwings and is good until 80lbs. If you want the headwings then I guess the XT is the way to go. Since you'll be using this in a small car you probably won't be using the extended rear facing capabilities of the seats so I wouldn't waste your money on the XTSL, which rear faces until 45lbs. I believe all three seats have the same harness heights. Good luck!

Joolsplus2
12-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Rearfacing limits notwithstanding (uh, yeah, 45 pounds would easily have been my 5 yo's who were still short enough to fit RF, lol), the "SL" models have "Super LATCH" and can be used with LATCH in cars newer than 9/1/2005 all the way to the weight limit of the seat. That can be valuable if you have a heavier kid (My skinny kid was too tall for all Radians--which have the same harness heights-- at 46 pounds or so, so even the regular non-SL version would have been fine), or if the seatbelt install doesn't work in one's car (sometimes it's tricky, LATCH is usually easier). The 'XT' models have the headwings which are nice for sleeping and which presumably offer more head protection. I'm fine with my non-winged version (the sides are fairly deep and lined with EPS foam, I trust it's fine in a side crash and it's fine for sleeping in in my van with reclining captain's chairs...).
So, yeah, I guess lots to consider! The XTSL is the most feature-laden and most spendy, the 65SL is the most basic (pretty sure all models are going to be SL now, maybe the regular LATCH ones are still in stock, maybe cheaper? You can use them to 48 pounds with LATCH, anyway...)

sansdieu
12-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Not Jools, but from what I gather I have a bunch of friends with them, most of them have the standard Radian 65s. The Radian 65 has no headwings, but is good until 65lbs, and rear faces until 40lbs. The Radian 80 is good until 80lbs, and the XT has the headwings and is good until 80lbs. If you want the headwings then I guess the XT is the way to go. Since you'll be using this in a small car you probably won't be using the extended rear facing capabilities of the seats so I wouldn't waste your money on the XTSL, which rear faces until 45lbs. I believe all three seats have the same harness heights. Good luck!

Rearfacing limits notwithstanding (uh, yeah, 45 pounds would easily have been my 5 yo's who were still short enough to fit RF, lol), the "SL" models have "Super LATCH" and can be used with LATCH in cars newer than 9/1/2005 all the way to the weight limit of the seat. That can be valuable if you have a heavier kid (My skinny kid was too tall for all Radians--which have the same harness heights-- at 46 pounds or so, so even the regular non-SL version would have been fine), or if the seatbelt install doesn't work in one's car (sometimes it's tricky, LATCH is usually easier). The 'XT' models have the headwings which are nice for sleeping and which presumably offer more head protection. I'm fine with my non-winged version (the sides are fairly deep and lined with EPS foam, I trust it's fine in a side crash and it's fine for sleeping in in my van with reclining captain's chairs...).
So, yeah, I guess lots to consider! The XTSL is the most feature-laden and most spendy, the 65SL is the most basic (pretty sure all models are going to be SL now, maybe the regular LATCH ones are still in stock, maybe cheaper? You can use them to 48 pounds with LATCH, anyway...)

Thank you both; that's very helpful.
So, there's LATCH and there's SUPER-LATCH now?? What's changed with the LATCH since 2005 (I should probably google it rather than keep you nice folks busy). I guess it doesn't matter as much since my newest car is 2003. I guess it'll come down to headwings. More protection is the desirable factor here; sleeping isn't really important to me, since DD never slept in the car, even as a little baby (not even on her ride home from the hospital). She's a pretty horrible car rider anyway, which was one more reason we went FF (I can at least hear her better and get an occasional glimpse of her). I am guessing rear-view seat mirrors on suction cups are still a big no-no?

arivecchi
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi there. I have a Radian XTSL if you have any questions. I love it and got it because car seat techs at car-seat.org highly recommend it and I wanted the ability to RF DS2 to 45 pounds.