PDA

View Full Version : Making a 4 month old with a nasty cold comfortable all night

maylips
12-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Is there something I can do? Poor kid seems miserable and the crying only makes his runny nose even worse.

We went to the doctor today and it's only a head cold so I'm thankful it's nothing too bad, but DS is so sad and is having trouble breathing. He recommended Motrin or Tylenol. Anything else I can do though? He wakes up as quickly as 20 minutes into sleep or can sleep about 2 hours, but that's it and it's hard to soothe him back to sleep.

happymom
12-22-2009, 10:59 PM
DD had a cold recently and I called my SIL (she has 6 kids...so los of experience!) for advice- she said to set up a vaporizer in the room, and rub baby Vick's on DD's chest. DD ended up seeming OK later on so I didnt do either of those, but its worth a try! Also, if she's super congested, I've been told its helpful to take DC into a steamy bathroom to break up the mucous. Hope your little guy feels better fast!

m448
12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't do the vick's vaporub only because it can actually irritate the airway and make things worse but the vaporizer is a definite must around here (the hot air not cool air humidifiers), and keep the door slightly closed to keep the warm air contained. Also we cosleep so baby sleeps a little higher on my arm to create an incline. If baby is sleeping in a crib you can elevate the crib mattress.

Also if you're breastfeeding I express a few drops of milk and using a dropper I use only for breastmilk I put a few drops in each nostril every couple of hours for aspiration. More soothing than saline and has antibodies.

sunshine873
12-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Since meds are a no-no for little ones now, the steamy bathroom is the trick! DD has had 2 colds and each time there was a 2-night period where she'd wake up in the middle of the night (rare for her) because she just couldn't breathe. We just go into our smallest bathroom, close the door, turn the shower on super-hot and sit there on the toilet with her for about 10 minutes or more. The steam works wonders. Oh, and bring the bulb suction thing along...we used it a few times each session in the "steam room". One more thing, my DD's PJs would get all wet from the steam, so we'd strip her down to diaper, and then put her back in PJs afterwards. Usually after cuddling in the steam for a little while she'd be ready to go back to bed.

Of course, keep up with the vaporizer/humidifier too, but hopefully this will help get you over the hump. Good luck - I know it's hard to see them sick.

HIU8
12-22-2009, 11:08 PM
When DS got nasty colds like that as a baby the only way he would sleep was in the bouncy or swing. Eventually we were able to put him in the crib with a rolled up towel under the mattress so it was elevated. Otherwise he would just not sleep.

wellyes
12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Those saline drops you squirt into baby's nostrils -- it seems awful the moment you do it (my mom compares it to waterboarding!) but it really does help.

Poor baby!

hillview
12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Those saline drops you squirt into baby's nostrils

Also if sleeping in a crib etc elevate the head with a book or 2. A swing is also a good option.
/hillary

KpbS
12-22-2009, 11:42 PM
the vaporizer is a definite must around here

:yeahthat:

DrSally
12-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I'll second the steam. When DC's were that age, bring DS or DD in the smallest bathroom and put them in the bouncy seat while I took my morning shower. I use Simply Saline (rec here), followed by a bulb syringe and/or BM drops in nose.

Tondi G
12-23-2009, 01:53 AM
we used the little noses saline drops... the baby hates it but some saline followed by the bulb suckie thing was the only way to get things clear so they could breathe and breastfeed. I found the vapor bath in the water at bed time helped too. I also would give my little ones a dose of motrin or tylenol just cause it helps with the inflammation and I figure I take it when I am sick... for headache, sore throat etc... why not give them some relief. We also have a humidifier for nighttime. elevating the crib or putting them in a bouncy seat or swing is good too like others have said.

Hope your little one feels better soon. Babies are just miserable when they are sick aren't they. Good Luck

Just wanted to add that if you feel like things aren't improving in the next few days or your little one is more miserable than they are now it could easily turn into an ear infection. I took my little guy in once and was told no it's just a cold. 2 days later I just felt like things were different, he was just not happy. My DH told me not to bother paying another co-pay since the doctor had JUST told us it was just a cold. Sure enough we went back in and it was an ear infection in one ear and the other ear looked like it was on it's way to an infection too!

ThreeofUs
12-23-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I know exactly what you mean!

IME, all you can do is keep those secretions flowing - better that than caking up his nose so he can't breathe, right?

I ran a hot shower in the bathroom, and sat on the closed toilet with my little guy upright on my shoulder so he could breathe in the mist and so his nose would drain (vs clog). Usually about 30 minutes every couple of hours. We would nurse upright, too, generally at the same time.

Both helped keep his nasal passages at least moderately clear.

(Of course, we also had the humidifier going in his room and gave a dose of painkiller just before bed. Did I mention all the rocking I did with him, too?)

Hugs to both of you. This is so hard.