PDA

View Full Version : A couple Costco finds today (food)

DrSally
12-22-2009, 10:58 PM
I was at Costco today for a few things to round out the massive amounts of food I have stockpiled for Xmas at my house. Thank you, Costco, for having a huge cooler of pumpkin pies (I was worried about that one).

As usual, we ate our way through the samples. The Gouda cheese was to die for. DS loooved it, but I resisted buying even more cheese. Then, we found a cookie mix that he can have!! It's Lehi Roller Mills based in Utah. It's a very simple ingred list--Whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, levening, eggs, etc. I love that WW was the first ingred, and no HFCS. There is no milk for those that are allergic, but it does have eggs (DS can have them baked). There was a statement that it is made on equip shared with milk products. I contacted them to verify that there are no peanuts/treenuts in the plant!!

DS and DD both loved them, and I could add safe choc chips, craisins, raisins, etc. You just add water. I realize I can make this on my own, but a mix is very convenient. I suppose with the WW flour I should store this big box in the freezer.

Another item: They were demo-ing pillsbury croisssants spread with boursin cheese, rolled up, and cut into little rolls and baked. Soooo good. The boursin was very reasonable--3 pack for 7.xx. This is a super easy appetizer that I will be making for both Xmas eve and Xmas day.

g-mama
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Yummmm...the crescent rolls with Boursin cheese sounds delish! I could probably figure out how to do that without a recipe!

DrSally
12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Yummmm...the crescent rolls with Boursin cheese sounds delish! I could probably figure out how to do that without a recipe!

Oh it was so good. DD devoured it and begged for more. DS didn't like the garlic in the boursin. I watched as she made it. She just spread the crescent rolls out in one flat sheet, spread on the boursin, rolled the whole thing up, and snipped off circles with a scissors before baking.

brittone2
12-23-2009, 12:21 PM
The boursin cheese they sell is really inexpensive for a 3 pack as compared to what other stores in my area charge.

We use it as a quick appetizer-we make stuffed mushrooms. Just brush some mushrooms w/ melted butter, sautee a bit on the stovetop to soften. Stick in the boursin (a little pile in each mushroom) and pop in to the oven. Really good and easy. You can fancy it up with other additions, but it is good by itself too.

dylansnan
12-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Costco usually has complete (just add water) pancake mix by Lehi Roller Mills. It is really yummy- made with WW flour and has no hydrogenated fat- which is why I love it so much. I can't remember about dairy or egg content, and I don't have the box right now. But I love this mix and love that we can have pancakes even if we don't have milk or eggs in the house :)

The cheese and crescent rolls sound divine!!!

DrSally
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
The boursin cheese they sell is really inexpensive for a 3 pack as compared to what other stores in my area charge.

We use it as a quick appetizer-we make stuffed mushrooms. Just brush some mushrooms w/ melted butter, sautee a bit on the stovetop to soften. Stick in the boursin (a little pile in each mushroom) and pop in to the oven. Really good and easy. You can fancy it up with other additions, but it is good by itself too.

Sounds very good. I have a container of baby bellas from Costco I should try this with! I thought the Boursin was well priced too. I haven't bought it in a long time, but I remember it being closer to $4 or maybe even more per box.

ETA: What do you cook it at? 350? What else would you put on them?

DrSally
12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Costco usually has complete (just add water) pancake mix by Lehi Roller Mills. It is really yummy- made with WW flour and has no hydrogenated fat- which is why I love it so much. I can't remember about dairy or egg content, and I don't have the box right now. But I love this mix and love that we can have pancakes even if we don't have milk or eggs in the house :)

The cheese and crescent rolls sound divine!!!

I was thinking about getting this, but didn't know if Costco still had it. Now that DS can have baked egg, he could have this. We didn't have much luck with the Quaker oatmeal pancake mix. DH thought it was very dry and bland.

brittone2
12-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds very good. I have a container of baby bellas from Costco I should try this with! I thought the Boursin was well priced too. I haven't bought it in a long time, but I remember it being closer to $4 or maybe even more per box.

ETA: What do you cook it at? 350? What else would you put on them?

Mix with different seasonings-like garlic powder and whatever else you like, or some thinly sliced green onions, or crumbled bacon, or any combo of those. You can also beat a little with some thawed chopped frozen spinach (drained) and a little half and half or whatever, and then stuff them with that.

I just throw them in at anywhere from 350-400.

It also makes a super quick and easy "creamed spinach" kind of dish if you beat the boursin with some cream cheese and a little milk or half and half, or just by itself with a little cream to thin it out, and then mix it w/ some thawed/drained chopped frozen spinach. A little serving is very filling. Sometimes we add some sliced chicken breast, etc. for a one dish meal.

I think the Boursin around here is like $6 for one package in some stores.

DrSally
12-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Mix with different seasonings-like garlic powder and whatever else you like, or some thinly sliced green onions, or crumbled bacon, or any combo of those. You can also beat a little with some thawed chopped frozen spinach (drained) and a little half and half or whatever, and then stuff them with that.

I just throw them in at anywhere from 350-400.

It also makes a super quick and easy "creamed spinach" kind of dish if you beat the boursin with some cream cheese and a little milk or half and half, or just by itself with a little cream to thin it out, and then mix it w/ some thawed/drained chopped frozen spinach. A little serving is very filling. Sometimes we add some sliced chicken breast, etc. for a one dish meal.

I think the Boursin around here is like $6 for one package in some stores.

Wow, good ideas, Thanks! I think for tomorrow I'll be lazy and get some of those bacon bits that are more like bacon and put that on top.