PDA

View Full Version : Niece has hand, foot & mouth disease -- WWYD

hillview
12-23-2009, 09:20 AM
My 14 month old niece has hand foot and mouth -- just dx last night. They are supposed to come for Christmas. They could stay longer with her DH's family and come to our place a few days after Christmas vs Christmas. We've never had hand foot and mouth in the house before.

1) How bad is it?
2) What would you do?

TIA!
/hillary

JBaxter
12-23-2009, 09:26 AM
We've never had it either but my friends children have and the sores in their mouths were awful :(.

Looks like she is contagious the first week. "I" would never expose other children to it if one of mine had it "I" would have issue with a knowingly infected ( contagious) child touching my kids toys. I have a 14 month old and he touches EVERYTHING.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm

Melbel
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
DS had it back in the preschool days. It is very painful and very contagious. I would definitely error on additional recovery time before a visit.

dcmom2b3
12-23-2009, 09:55 AM
DD had a fairly mild case this spring. There weren't too many sores in her mouth. Our doctor told me no daycare/contact with other kids for a week to 10 days. Keeping her sequestered was the worst part, but I was glad that she didn't pass it on to her friends and classmates.

BTW, I firmly believe (but can't prove) that DD picked up the virus from my mom, who brought it in from a family event at the home of a toddler who had had it *weeks* before. I chose not to attend with DD, out of an abundance of caution, but figured it would be ok if mom went. I think I was wrong about that . . .

ETA: My mom was totally asymptomatic, as I understand many adults are.

firsttimemama
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
i would avoid them

ThreeofUs
12-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Cox-Sackie is SUPER contagious. I'd stay away if any means at all present themselves.

hollybloom24
12-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I had it as an adult (caught it from a colleague's toddler) and it was horrible. I would NEVER expose anyone to my kids (or myself) if we had it knowing how awful it was.

scrooks
12-23-2009, 10:39 AM
My DD had it this fall (I still don't know how in the world she got it- it was after DS was born and we didn't leave the house for weeks at a time!)....it was BAD...she looked so uncomfortable and actually wouldn't walk very much for a couple of days because the sores on her feet hurt that bad! Luckily DS didn't get it (he was 3 weeks old) and my husband and I didn't have symptoms either. It was awful. I would avoid exposing my child to it if I were you.

codex57
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Avoid! DS got it once and passed it onto me. Oh man is it bad! AVOID!

belovedgandp
12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Both my boys had it this fall. They had mild cases. Neither one had a fever and the 6 year old just had a few spots in his mouth. I thought he had just bitten the inside of his mouth or something. His sores were gone before I figured out that's what he had 5 days later. 2 1/2 year old had more sores on his mouth, a rash on his bottom and a few spots on his hands. Doctor said I was clear once 24 hours without a fever, but neither boy had a fever.

It's a nasty one because the virus can technically live in your system for weeks. For me it would depend on what age your niece and your kid are. Younger ones that are going to swap food and eat toys then definitely not, plus how long they are going to be around them. I kept my 2 1/2 YO away from other kids until his sores were healed.

hillview
12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks all. Sounds AWFUL. DN has NO sores outside, may have some inside -- they aren't sure. She had a 103 temp last night. She is 14 months. He brother is 3.5 and my kids are 2.5 and 4.5 years old. Her brother does not have it (yet). We are going to see how it goes --they are supposed to come to our place on Friday. She is getting on a plane as we speak (SF to Bos). Which is perhaps not what I would be doing.

/hillary

nov04
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
dd1 had it when she was 20m. It was a rotten experience for her. Definitely stay away!!!!!

oh my!!! I'd be very hesitant to fly with a fever like that.

jenandahalf
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Never mind that the poor kid is taking a very long flight with a fever, what about the other passengers?!

hillview
12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Never mind that the poor kid is taking a very long flight with a fever, what about the other passengers?!
Agree! Sigh.

Tondi G
12-23-2009, 02:47 PM
WOW... they should be staying home! I would not let my kids visit with a family that had Hand foot and mouth circulating. My neighbors DD had it and before we all knew what it was had spread it around. My DS got a very mild case... just some blister things on his hands and feet. She had the full on fever with the horrible sores in her mouth and throat. She had to be kept inside for over a week.

Personally I would not have them visit.

swrc00
12-23-2009, 02:51 PM
DS had it about a month ago. It was terrible! I would totally avoid them! It is highly contagious and some children can not have symptoms but be carriers of it. It is gross and so painful for the patient!!!