PDA

View Full Version : getting BLVD harness tight enough

GracieCat
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
My almost 4 mo old is in a BLVD in one of our cars. It is not the CS model. After he is strapped in, I can't get the pull strap to go any tighter sometimes even though it might have more than 2 fingers room. Is there a secret or is it tight enough? It just doesn't want to get tighter! I feel comfortable that DS isn't going anywhere, but wasn't sure exactly what's safe. Thanks!

arivecchi
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
The harness is tight enough when you pinch it and cannot pick up any slack. Maybe he is too little for the Blvd?

Joolsplus2
12-23-2009, 10:25 AM
A series of short tug tug tugs is necessary (pull straight out, not to the side, to prevent the strap fraying). And also, the harness should only be tested ON the shoulders (like a bra band, it should be snug, not tight, and can't pinch any fabric the long way). The part over the torso is generally very loose, but should lie in a straight line. Removing the rubber HUGS pads is also usually really helpful for tiny kiddos (they are only mandatory for forward-facing use). Also, pull up on the harness at the buckle tongues, to get it tight on the lap first, then do the tugging thing, or also you could reach behind the seat and pull the harness tight from the back before trying to tighten with the adjuster strap.

http://www.carseatsite.com/correct_harness_use.htm
If you can pinch a fold in the harness above the chest clip, it is too loose. The following picture shows a harness that is too loose: (uh, no picture, it wouldn't let me copy and paste, lol... click on the link above, scroll down quite a ways to the picture).

GracieCat
12-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks, I check it out. No, I think Chunker is big enough! He's probably close to 15 pounds and 25+". He's not yet 4 mo and wears 9mo clothes. We don't know where he came from since both my husband and I (pre baby) are petite.