PDA

View Full Version : Etsy seller non-responsive...what next?

sarahsthreads
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
So I ordered some yarn for my mom on Etsy on 12/12, fully expecting that I would get it in plenty of time for Christmas. Three days ago I emailed the seller asking if it had shipped yet, because I hadn't gotten any shipping notice (but sometimes I don't - it depends on whether they use paypal shipping or not) or the actual yarn yet, and I needed it in time for Christmas. This still would have been plenty of time for it to get here in the mail if they hadn't gotten around to mailing it yet, as they're only a couple of states away from me. However, I haven't gotten any response from them, nor have I gotten my package.

I waited until the mail came today with no lovely yarn package and just emailed the seller again. If I still don't get a response, how long am I supposed to wait before taking it to the next level? I'm a little confused because this seller has 100% positive comments (and a lot of sales) and has listed new things since I purchased my item, so it's not likely a case of a family emergency or the computer blew up, kwim? There's no notice up saying they won't be shipping after such and such date due to the holidays or anything, either. I'd like to be understanding because I know everyone gets busy at this time of year, but the complete lack of a response is making me really nervous...

So how long is reasonable to wait, and how many times would you try contacting the seller before you started a formal dispute?

Thanks!
Sarah

sarahsthreads
12-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Bump...

Anyone have any advice? Another mail day came and went with no yarn and no response from the seller.

DH thinks I should wait until at least 1/4 to complain to Etsy because the seller might be traveling, but I'm sitting here at 12:34 AM Christmas morning with NOTHING to give my mother later today. I am very sad about that. :(

Sarah

viba424
12-25-2009, 09:29 AM
This is very disappointing and I cant figure out why some people flake out so badly. I would sent her a polite email but tell her you are not happy about this and you are afraid youre going to ask for a full refund. Im sure now that its too late you will hear from her with some sort of excuse. You paid and you got nothing. Nuff said.

I have had far too many people flake out on me like that and amazingly its never been because of any good or reason after all. You can leave her negative feedback when youre ready because she didnt deliver and you are entitled to what you paid for in a timely manner. She could at least given you a one line heads-up that it was not coming.

I had a woman making a big order of salt water taffy for my wedding favors several years back, and then she disappeared for months and would not respond to me at all despite my near harassment of her store by phone. Next thing you know that the weekend of my wedding I got a big box of ALL gross maple flavored taffy that I did not order! Needless to say I cancelled all payments and was so furious. She never apologized and never heard from her again.

I have little patience for this and who cares if this woman is on Etsy. She stood you up and the deal is off. I dont think you need to wait. I would tell her you want a refund, then leave negative feedback. Why wait another week?

deannanb
12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I think if she has it listed, then she should have it in stock and have it ready to ship.
Even if she waited a week - mailed it out on the 19th - you should have had it in time for Christmas. I would do whatever is listed in the Etsy "rules" for items not sent. Leave bad feedback - you don't have to be nasty, just a simple - item not sent and no response from seller if good enough.

and be sure to alert your credit card company.
Good luck!

ett
12-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I agree with PPs that you have given her enough time to respond to you. File a dispute with paypal or your credit card company. If she was listing new items, then she's around so there's no need to wait another week.

bubbaray
12-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I had a similar problem with my mommy necklace in the summer. I sent numerous emails to the seller with no response. Funny, as soon as I filed my dispute with Amex and Paypal (and Etsy for good measure, though they are useless), I got a response within hours.

I say file disputes with both PP and your CC company (if you used CC PP).

TwinFoxes
12-25-2009, 08:28 PM
I agree with PPs that you have given her enough time to respond to you. File a dispute with paypal or your credit card company. If she was listing new items, then she's around so there's no need to wait another week.

:yeahthat: in total agreement! I'm a big Etsy fan, but these people are runnng businesses. If they flake out and don't respond, you have every right to take action. Especially because you don't really need the item any more. One caveat: did you check the shop policies? Do they say anything about how long it takes to ship/turn around time?

sarahsthreads
12-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks all!

I did check the shop policies and notices, both before ordering and since then, and there's nothing about turnaround time. The items are all recycled yarn - so they're definitely in-stock, not a custom item created after the order is placed. Plus, most of her feedback mentions super fast shipping!

I'm going to send off another email to her letting her know that I'm going to file a non-delivery report with Etsy if I don't hear from her by Monday. If that doesn't get me anywhere I'll sort things out with Paypal and my credit card after the first of the year. I feel really bad doing it for some reason, like I haven't been patient enough. I mean, on the one hand, she's had my money for two full weeks and hasn't shipped the yarn or notified me of any delay. But on the other hand, it's only two weeks, and it's a busy time of year.

Either way I guess I'm going to have to go find another gift for my mom. She and I own a yarn shop, so I wanted to get her something that we wouldn't carry in the shop, something different and unusual and lovely. It kills me that I spent *hours* agonizing over which gorgeous color and fiber blend on Etsy would be perfect for this particular pattern and would look best on my mom, and I wound up picking one from a seller that flaked on me. :(

Sarah

Tondi G
12-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks all!

I did check the shop policies and notices, both before ordering and since then, and there's nothing about turnaround time. The items are all recycled yarn - so they're definitely in-stock, not a custom item created after the order is placed. Plus, most of her feedback mentions super fast shipping!

I'm going to send off another email to her letting her know that I'm going to file a non-delivery report with Etsy if I don't hear from her by Monday. If that doesn't get me anywhere I'll sort things out with Paypal and my credit card after the first of the year. I feel really bad doing it for some reason, like I haven't been patient enough. I mean, on the one hand, she's had my money for two full weeks and hasn't shipped the yarn or notified me of any delay. But on the other hand, it's only two weeks, and it's a busy time of year.

Either way I guess I'm going to have to go find another gift for my mom. She and I own a yarn shop, so I wanted to get her something that we wouldn't carry in the shop, something different and unusual and lovely. It kills me that I spent *hours* agonizing over which gorgeous color and fiber blend on Etsy would be perfect for this particular pattern and would look best on my mom, and I wound up picking one from a seller that flaked on me. :(

Sarah

that really sucks that they flaked on you. Especially since it was something you spent time and effort on, choosing just the right thing for your mom. I hope the Etsy seller can make things right... and that you found something else for your mom that you will feel good giving to her!

viba424
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Maybe I am not very trusting, and I think you have a nice approach planned for contacting her monday. But every time I have tried to call someone out for not delivering something, they always have come back with some real boo-hoo story. I dont know...I just dont have much patience for it. However Ive learned always be polite because you dont want to feel like a jerk. Still, you got stiffed. Follow through and dont feel bad one bit. If she is an honest person, she will also be the first to admit she didnt deliver and wouldnt be offended that you realize it too. Missing Christmas delivery to you is a really huge flub on her part as a seller.